PDA

View Full Version : Warping of Heritage Saddle bags

CurryBob
09-13-2004, 09:15 PM
My bags are fine and I constantly apply a quality leather treatment to them but I have seen several older Heritage bikes where their bags are curling and looking sad. :o

I was wondering if anyone has seen or found a sub-frame that fits under the lids that will make them keep their shape?

Thanks

wreckerman
09-13-2004, 09:28 PM
have not seen a sub frame, but if they lose there shape just stuff it with news parper and wet it down then let it dry in the sun it helps the bags get the full shape again as for curling up on the edges dont have one for that

redwoodrunner
09-13-2004, 11:53 PM
My wife has an 04 Heritage, and the saddlebags were sagging right from day one. She bought a reinforcement kit. I installed it last weekend. It has plastic pieces that slide in to reinforce it around the sides and bottom, and a plastic piece that glues onto the top. I'll post the manufacturer info when I get home.
RR

animal
09-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Yes there is. I have them installed on my bike. I love them. The top is a steel plate. You can also lock valuables in them.
http://www.amazingproducts.com/harley/lockleather/

redwoodrunner
09-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Here is what we bought for my wife's saddlebags:

RR

http://www.gotsaggybags.com

CurryBob
09-14-2004, 11:06 AM
redwoodrunner

Thanks soo much, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like that should do the trick nicly and not a bad price either. :D

I ordered them today. Where there any items to be aware of during installation that I should be aware of or was it pretty much straight forward?

Once again this site provided excellent information. groucho

redwoodrunner
09-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Where there any items to be aware of during installation that I should be aware of or was it pretty much straight forward?

It was pretty straightforward. Just be sure to use the recommended 30-40 lb weight when curing the glue on the pieces that glue to the inside top of the bags. A piece of wood cut very close to the size of the plastic piece will work good. Then put the weight evenly distributed on top of the wood, to avoid curl of the plastic. Let it sit and cure overnight.

The other pieces just slide right into the bags, between the stitches on the inside of the bags. It's a very tight fit, but they WILL go in, just be patient.

RR

CurryBob
09-14-2004, 01:17 PM
redwoodrunner

Great!! I appreciate your help!!

redwoodrunner
09-14-2004, 02:58 PM
CurryBob,
No problem.
BTW, my wife's Heritage is also the Lava Red color. I checked out your photos. It is really a beautiful color.
RR

OldSalt
09-14-2004, 04:18 PM
The Heritage saddle bags are an example of many people's love/hate relationship with Harley. We are loyal and dedicated customers that have stuck with harley through thick and thin, but there are certain products that Harley makes that are crap and the saddle bags on the Heritage is a prime example. I have a heritage and unfortunately like everyone else I am forced to go for an aftermarket part like the 'saggy bags" web site, so my bike can look good. Harley is aware of the problem and could easily fix it, but mysteriously they just continue to produce these crappy saddlebags. Usually when harley makes a poor part like mirrors or nuts and bolts that corrode quickly then Harley has its own aftermarket product they want to sell you. I am really surprised harley does not have its own version of the "saggy bags" product ready to sell us. So we can fix their problem and continue to line their pocket.

dambikr
05-31-2005, 07:32 AM
I have a 98 Heritage and 4 years ago ordered LeatherLyke hard case saddlebags but could not get the right looking mounting so I threw them up in the attic. Two months ago my original bags gave up the ghost. I cut them at the seams and glued them onto the LeatherLykes. I had to add a piece at the rear but overall it's nice to have a locking hard (on the inside) bag. Dambikr

CurryBob
05-31-2005, 12:06 PM
To All

Just an update on the gotsaggybags product. I've had them for about 9 months now and LOVE them. My bags still look bran new. I do keep them clean and apply a non-petroleum leather treatment 4 or 5 times a year. Have had several comments from other Heritage owners asking me how I keep my bags from sagging.

Bob

jazzman
06-01-2005, 01:38 AM
I have the saggy bags on my 2003 Heritage and they do work. Also have been trying out different leather treatments for the bags. Lexol works well for general cleaning and conditioning. Another treatment that brings back the black luster is "Leather Mate" leather cream from Italy in black. It kind of looks like cream shoe polish going on but once it is applied and dry it doesn't rub off like shoe polish and gives the bags a nice deep black luster.

Softailhog
09-14-2007, 08:51 PM
CurryBob,

Where did you get your backrest for your softail classic?

Jim

baggercheezhead
09-15-2007, 04:51 AM
i am a member of hsoa(heritage springers owners association )on the internet and there are bagshappers discussed there for your problem.there is kamco products online that specifically has bag and top lid shapers for leather springer flsts bags but i'm not sure if they make them for the heritage bags as well. try a search for kamco and or bagshappers on google . bagger