PDA

View Full Version : Solid or Hydraulic pushrods????

50FL
08-22-2005, 02:00 AM
As per my previous post, I am changing out my lifters, blocks and pushrods.

As tore everything apart I noticed that hydraulic to solid converters are being used.

So I am at a point now to decide... do I go back to the converters with solid pushrods or go to hydraulic units with hydraulic pushrods?

I welcome any and all opinions

junior
08-22-2005, 02:10 AM
interesting...

some guys swear by that conversion, but for me, on a street-ridden bike that'll see most of it's time between 3000-4500 rpm, i'd stick with a good quality hydraulic setup. set it once and forgedda-boudit..look at the jim's big axle lifters.....

j

50FL
08-22-2005, 02:41 AM
Damn Junior,

I like the those lifters. They almost sound a littel too good to be true. If it wasn't JIM's selling them I probably would not believe the claims.

Thanks for turning me on to those.

50FL

wreckerman
08-22-2005, 09:08 PM
interesting...

some guys swear by that conversion, but for me, on a street-ridden bike that'll see most of it's time between 3000-4500 rpm, i'd stick with a good quality hydraulic setup. set it once and forgedda-boudit..look at the jim's big axle lifters.....

j

i have to agree with junior on this

Heretic
08-23-2005, 05:25 PM
I am going to be the devil's advocate this time. I started on harleys, with a '50 EL, so your project is one that I can take a personal interest in. I had VERY good luck with the solid conversion, and still use the same thing with the pan I have today. The jims lifters are an excellent product, but ask yourself if you are ever going to run enough RPMs, on a consistent basis, to justify spending that amount of money. For a newer bike there would be no question, I would use them, but I cannot get an old pan to hold together at the engine speeds that a TC88 is capable.
As for setting it and forgeting it, never happen! I will admit that juice lifters, are much lower maintenance, but the bike itself is not. If you are gonna ride a pan, you will be wrenching. I have gotten used to checking valves every time I change the oil as part of my regular routine.
I am not opposed to upgrading anything on an old pan (I have STD heads on mine) I just think that there is better places to throw money for more gain.

junior
08-24-2005, 02:36 AM
all good points as usual bud....you have more experience with the older iron than i do.....

one point though- most hydraulics nowadays are set at +/- 0.125" preload. although pans will walk a bit on the clamping, it would be unusual for them to exceed 0.075" or so without some other issue becoming more predominant....

j

50FL
08-24-2005, 03:24 AM
Damn... once again the experts give me some food for thought. I really do appreciate the input.

I went by my local independant shop (D&S Performance if your ever in Dallas guarnateed you can't go wrong) this afternoon and did some pricing. After pricing all Jim's parts (tappets, blocks, and pushrods) I'm looking at about $600 clams. It's gonna take a lot of diving to come up with that many pearls. I'm still doing some pricing and thinking. Please keep the opinions coming. I always like as much info as I can get before making a decision.

50FL

Heretic
08-25-2005, 03:08 AM
damn Junior; if you can quote those numbers off the top of your head, do you want a job?

junior
08-25-2005, 05:13 AM
lol-

actually, as far as i know the hydraulic adjustable pushrods come in two basic flavors- 24 and 32 threads per inch. the -24 ones take 3 turns preload, and the -32's are 4 turns....

j

rwpatton
08-26-2005, 03:30 AM
I really respect all opinions from Junior and Wreckerman. But LOL!

I like solids. They are not as Maintenance busy as most would say. Set'em and go. I like'em cause I know just where I'm at when I set the tolerance's up. You can go a whole lott'a miles before you even have to think about adjusting them. :rolleyes:

Don't want to confuse you 50 FL. Go with what you want.

RW drunks

bikerinthenight
08-26-2005, 05:24 AM
I got solids in my shovel. I could`nt figure out why the previous owner put them in, until it was mentioned that certain cams require them. is it posible that he needs to have solids? is your cam stock? just a thought.
bikerinthenight