PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Rotor

Crimin
09-15-2004, 08:39 PM
While I was changing my brake pads I noticed a a couple of small cracks on the outer edge of one of my front rotors. Could this potentially cause any problems? It i still smooth and there is no chips and I will be replacing it as soon as possible but I am just wondering what might happen if anything?

wreckerman
09-15-2004, 08:57 PM
can you post a picture of the rotor , it might just be mechineing marks

Crimin
09-15-2004, 08:58 PM
yeah no problem i will take a picture of it tonight and post it.

junior
09-15-2004, 10:15 PM
welcome, crimin...

the condition noted sounds like "heat checking". this usually occurs either because of a poor metallurgy or sometimes from overheating from either a dragging caliper, misadjusted pushrod/lever, or so on. some checking is "normal" (we'll wait for the pic and see), but if checking is excessie- replacement might be warranted.

in the meantime i'd jack it up and check if the wheels is dragging. if so- check pad clearance, lever stop adjust, etc.

j

Wide
09-16-2004, 12:49 AM
If it has cracks it should be replaced, waiting for a picture :)

jaboshd
09-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Yeah-what wide said & If ya question it just do it groucho

Crimin
09-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Here is the picture, the cracks go right through to other side.

Wide
09-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Replace it soon as possible, the rotor is worn, cracked should be taken out of service.

A new set of Kevlar brake pads would be a great addition.

animal
09-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Here is the picture, the cracks go right through to other side.
I've never even seen shit like that. How the hell does a rotor get cracked?

Wide
09-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Very easy, heat buildup with a fast cooling effort will define any flaw very fast.

Just a small crack invisable to the eye expanding, tons of different reasons.

Thas accually not that bad a crack however should be replaced before it get bad real fast, as in when your stopping on the highway & it lock the front end up.

junior
09-16-2004, 05:50 PM
agreed with wide-

heat checks are very faint and not well defined- that is an old-fashioned crack likely from poor metallurgy and enhanced as wide said by the heat/cool cycle. steel expands at .1m"/inch mat'l/degree farenheit. when you jump on the brakes hard the metal can go from 100 degrees to 400 degrees in a heartbeat. any pre-existing flaws in the metal will show themselves quickly.

i don't think this is any kind of an issue to get really excited about- you make 10,000 rotors, and one or two are likely to have an issue. if it were me- i'd go with the "no harm/no foul" thought. don't know how old the scoot is, but if it is fairly new, just for grins i'd take it off and bring it with me to mr. dealer and ask if i could get some credit towards buying another one....

j