PDA

View Full Version : 1987 FLHTC Priced Right

Nightrider
08-31-2005, 06:15 AM
HCG Members. Here is your chance to get that big, bad bagger you always dreamed of, but could not shell out $10,000 or more to buy. I bought too many Harleys recently, so I sold one to a friend-of-a-friend who wants out of the deal. I have never seen the bike, but here are opposing descriptions from the eBay listing of the guy I bought it from (Jonathan Erb of ChromeClassics in Colorado), and the guy I sold it to (Officer David Riley of the Leitchfield, KY P.D.)

First, the listing I relied on when I bought it:

Vehicle Description
This 1987 Harley-Davidson FLHTC ElectraGlide Classic is in great shape. It is a ONE-OWNER bike that has just 48,000 total and original miles on it.
This bike has never been in an accident or had any major mechanical work done to it. It has received regular and careful maintenance by a life-long Harley owner throughout the life of the bike.
The paint on the sheetmetal and bags is all original and in terrific condition. There is only one or two places on the bags where the clear coat has receded but to a non-objectionable stage.
The bike comes with all the bags pictured below, True Dual exhaust, S&S Carburetor (original stock carburetor provided), HI-4 Ignition, high-output coil, battery (1 year old), tires (85+ remaining).
The only items needing attention are the radio/cassette player, the dash clock, the trip meter (not working).
This bike is ready to go on a long trip without any concerns.
I don't think you will find a more original '87 ElectraGlide in such nice condition! Bid with confidence. The winner will certainly be pleased with this bike!

Now here is the “bad news” from Officer Riley:

I finally had a chance to check out the bike. I rode it about 35 miles. It has alot of issues. it has numerous leaks( jugs, primary, appears to be oil tank and something else, i just havent located it). the front and rear shocks will not hold air at all. the turn signals will not work and the windshield is scratched so bad you cant see through it. the trans shifts ok,but makes a very loud noise when shifting it. the starter is very weak also. i think the bike has sat for a while. i read the listing that you read when you was bidding on the bike and it is misleading based on the standards i know that you have. you would have been really pissed off if you had gotten this bike in miami. i suggest that you relist the bike without a warrranty, be cause you will lose alot of money if you deal with someone dishonest. you can talk to don about this and he will tell you it does not go with the ad. Also the fairing is cracked by the windshield. roy, let me know what you want to do and i will help if possible. i will wait for your reponse thanks,david also the bike will not idle unless you keep a little throttle on or the choke on.

Two very different stories, huh? I will bet that the true state of affairs is somewhere in between. More pictures are posted in the Nightrider's gallery.

If interested in this bike "as is, where is" with its potential, and potential problems, call me at work (305) 666-5053 or on my cell (305) 519-8897, or send me an e-mail at both my home (roywasson@bellsouth.net) and office (rdwassonappeal@bellsouth.net). I have a signed title from Texas. Make a fair offer to get you that Harley!
Roy

xxxflhrci
08-31-2005, 07:07 AM
What is the right price?

Nightrider
08-31-2005, 08:50 AM
I would like to get $7000 for it. Does that seem fair?

Roy

Ironhead80
11-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Hmmm, I think closer to $6K you might have an interested buyer. from the sounds of it the TLC required will be upwards of a grand if it's done at home. I got a 97 dodge 1 ton for trade if you're interested.

OldBikerGuy
11-09-2005, 09:12 PM
This is why I rarely buy used and never from fucking eBay. People used to unload their problems at the neighborhood bar. Now they use eBay.

Nightrider
11-10-2005, 02:44 AM
I ended-up selling the bike on eBay--twice. The first guy who bid $6,200 dropped the name of a neighbor he works with, who I sold a '91 FLHTC to a couple of years ago. The neighbor was honest, so I shipped the '87 without getting paid first, and the buyer changed his mind after he had the bike in his garage. I relisted it and sold it again for $6,010 a couple of days ago. "The check is in the mail," but I will wait to get it this time before letting the new buyer from Texas pick up the 'glide from the first deadbeat in Kentucky.

Roy