PDA

View Full Version : 65 pan, oil leak

lioutofplace
09-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Hi guys I just got a restored 65 pan and everything is mint, the only problem is I'm no expert and I don't want to make things worse while I learn the bike and the manual. The fellow I got it off of had everything rebuilt ( photos never lie) however its never been broke in. He needed the $$ so in walked me. It runs rough and he says it just needs the valves adjusted, I've been tinkering with it but am afraid to make things worse. Well one thing leads to another, I fired it up the other day for the wife and oil came pouring out of the front ex pipe. The only thing I can think of is the breather cap was to tight. It didn't do this when I picked it up and ran it for about 45 min so I assume its not that bad. Also the lifter sound like it hammering pretty good could the valve have cracked? let me know what you think. Thanks for any help, I think its going to be one of those years. :)

Wide
09-01-2005, 12:21 AM
lioutofplace

Welcome to the forums

I have a 65 also

Oil pumping out the exhaust is not a good thing

It could be a grip of things wrong

First thing is to make sure it has the correct amount of oil in it

Drain the oil, start it up for about 30 seconds & drain it again

Sometimes the sump fills up

Allthough it seems like you may have bigger issues.

Let us know how you make out

BTW I am always looking for a garage mate for my 65 :D

lioutofplace
09-01-2005, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the info, I did't drain it but I checked it and it was good, I did run it a little harder and the oil stopped and burned off, I'm trying to remember but I don't believe it been run more then 10 hrs since the rebuild. I did get other oil leaks but it looked like tighting up stuff on the oil lines.

Old_Evo
09-01-2005, 03:15 AM
First: Welcome to HCG, you'll get tons of help here on your new scoot.

Second: I hope it just oil settling into the sump and nothing major.

Last: A 65 Pan in mint condition. Throw this old dog a bone and post a pic or two.

rwpatton
09-01-2005, 04:23 AM
Hey Lioutofplace.

Well, was it puking out the front pipe or the breather.

If it cleared up, engine may have just sumped. Check valve in the oil pump allows oil to drain into the crankcase and on start up blows crap every where. If it was not knocking when you bought it hopefully just an adjustment.

Wides a panhead slut looking for another bitch. :lol:

RW

Wide
09-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Yep, these old girls get an attitude sometimes :D

Let us know how it goes

lioutofplace
09-01-2005, 12:43 PM
You guys are great, I hope your right and its nothing major, I did read about the check valve in the oil pump, I'm going to have a local custom bike builder go through the bike, but he can't get to it right away and its killing me. I'll let you all know. As soon as I figure out a way to shrink down the pics I have I'll post them, cold water didn't work! Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions, if some appear to be stupid have a beer and a laugh at my expense. Mark[/quote]

Kagan
09-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Don't shrink them! At the bottom of a "post" there's a button called BROWSE. Hit that, select your pic, and the site will shrink it for display but open to full size when being viewed. ;) Full size let's you pick up the details. :D

lioutofplace
09-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Ah, that's way to easy.

Wide
09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
lioutofplace

Where are you in NY?

I do know quite a few shops on NY, I'm from the area :D

lioutofplace
09-01-2005, 06:35 PM
I live out on Long Island, The place I'm taking it to is Cycle Creations, they did a nice job on a 68 for a guy, they also do custom stuff, mel is in the back and Dave is the up front guy. If you know of someone drop me a line. Good info is always helpful. I tried to post a phot but it wasn't happing, I'm not much of a high tech guy.

Wide
09-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Only Place I know out on the Island is American Cycle

BIll runs the place, I believe it's in Hepsted or Great Neck, sorry I dont have the number

The place you have sounds fine if they do work on old iron.

Lots of the new guys dont know squat about the old girls :D

Good luck