PDA

View Full Version : 500 mile checkup....Do it myself??

whitewalls
09-20-2004, 03:35 PM
To save some cash, can i change the oil and filter myself @ 500 miles instead of paying $$$ @ the dealership? Will this void the warranty? I'm tryin' to get an '05 RK service manual BEFORE my new SCOOT comes and i ordered one 3 weeks ago @ the dealership but the Lame factory hasn't shipped one yet. I've tried to order one online from the Harley home page but only the '04's are listed as being available. Any sugesstions where I might get one??

Wide
09-20-2004, 04:01 PM
It's always best to bring her back home for the first check up so they can have a good look at it & make the required adjustments.

Being you dont have a service manuel yet I would have the dealer do it, there are a bunch of things you may not know about.

The dealer is the only place to get the book, might want to call a few other dealers in your area, it should be in stock. :D

wreckerman
09-20-2004, 11:14 PM
wide has got you on this one , the most inportant service for the dealer to do is the first one and the 10,000 mile one the rest you can handel and keep good records of what you do along with your recipts for the parts used in case there ever is a warrenty issue, also call a few dealers and you should be able to find your service book

redwoodrunner
09-22-2004, 03:35 PM
You can also buy service manuals online from Cycle Manuals.
http://www.cyclemanual.com/

The local dealers (3 of them!) didn't have the electrical diagnostic manual for my bike. Cycle Manuals had it in stock, at a good price, and it was shipped fast.

RR

ElrodontheVRod
09-25-2004, 12:58 PM
I service all of my own stuff.The dealer I use for my warranty work knows of my skill and says to be sure and document dates and correct milage.They also answer all of my questions when needed.If you are in doubt then have the dealer do the service.Some times I wish that I didn't have the skill,it took over 6 and 1/2 hrs to do the 10k on my V-Rod.

Elrod on the V-Rod

wreckerman
09-25-2004, 01:28 PM
that is less time then i would have suspected for a 10k service on a v rod , usealy it takes me the whole day to do the rk

ElrodontheVRod
09-25-2004, 02:35 PM
I wasn't bitcin.I am told that the flat rate labor is 4.5 at the dealer and not many techs can beat it.My valve lash was on low specs,so I did not have to remove the cams.I probably would have gone into a second day if I had to remove um.
I think the bottom line is that if you don't know how to be extremly meticulous when working on ANY mc,then let a qualified tech do it,including oil serices.These babys are pretty close to air craft when it comes to saftey.

Elrod on the V-Rod

wreckerman
09-25-2004, 03:16 PM
you got it , the old days , they were fairley foregiveing if you f$#ked up but now days they just cost you a arm and leg