PDA

View Full Version : 2004 stalling softail

snakebones
08-13-2004, 02:22 PM
I started the bike with little use of the enricher drove about a mile, stopped at a 4 min. traffic light and the bike did not stall, drove another 3 miles and stopped twice with no stall or black smoke coming from the exhaust. pulled into my drive way got off the bike with it still running walked 5 feet to open a gate turned around and the bike stalled.
:blink2:

Wide
08-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Hi Snake Welcome to the new site

What year & model bike?
Carb or injection?

Sounds like you may just have the carb set wrong.

When you start the bike how long do you use the choke, it should only be long enough to keep it running soon as it will run without it no choke.

I never use the choke for more than a couple blocks.

Bigshovel
08-14-2004, 03:03 AM
Check my last post post in the old forum about this :)

wreckerman
08-14-2004, 04:18 AM
might just be the idel is a little low or the bike might not have been warmed up try it fresh tommrow and blow the cops out a little then post back and let us know what happened we will take it from there you can also pull the plugs and see what they look like but first take it out for a spin B)

Bigshovel
08-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Try Jeff's idea and let us know what happens. Do you know about how many rpms you have the curb idle set at and did you start off with clean plugs? Do you have the tuning instructions for your S&S carb? If you don't let me know and I'll e-mail them to you. I'm sure it's something simple so keep working with us and we'll get it pegged. (I copied this from the other forum for ya :D )

snakebones
08-14-2004, 01:15 PM
First, thanks for all the help. I have not been able to ride cause of the storm that is fast approaching, as soon as I can I will try taking off the filter and some of thye other ideas....I will let you know ho I make out
;)

snakebones
08-18-2004, 10:04 AM
2004 softail vance & hines pipes S&Se carb Jets .0295 & .072

Reajusted the carb last night, seemed to stall alot while I was adjusting it which made it difficult, also had some black smoke out exhaust, i figured that was mostly because of the stalling and starting and idling. Rode in about 3 miles this morning and the bike didn't stall and there was no evidence of black smoke. I am starting to think it might be the ignition module getting hot?

rwpatton
08-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey snakebones

I'll throw my .02 in here. Your jetting is on the lean end of the scale you might try a .031 or .032 for intermediate jetting.

wreckerman
08-18-2004, 10:28 PM
before you start putting parts in why not drive it for a while then cheak the plugs and see what they look like and then we can decide weather you need to rejet

junior
08-19-2004, 01:54 AM
i run an "e" on mine and left the .295/72 setup. never missed a lick. however, don't know what your ambient temp is where you are, but here it is @75-82 degrees mostly, and i use the enrichener for only about 2-5 seconds on the first start and never use it again during that day.

you might want to take a look (as big suggested) at the install instructions. the "black smoke" makes me think the accelerator pump is over adjusted. this is a rather sensitive adjustment, and it might be goosing the juice too much.

let us know...

j

rwpatton
08-19-2004, 03:12 AM
Y'all are all right. S&S says turn the accellerator pump completely off when checking jetting. then go from there.

RW <_<

rwpatton
08-19-2004, 03:16 AM
Junior always has a nice way of saying. Wait a minute dude's. Damn it!

RW

snakebones
08-19-2004, 11:16 AM
UPDATE:

I re-adjusted the mixture & idle to what seems right based on the S&S owners manual(mix backed out 1 1/4 turns---idle is by sound cause I don't have a tach) Then pulled the plugs, they were black with alot of carbon on them, I cleaned them, then Started it up with no enrichner only throttle drove about 4 miles and didn't stall and also no black smoke.....I will test it more soon cause I am still not sure I have fixed the problem. Also before I start it again I will pull the plugs and see what they look like(this is the 2nd time I have cleaned off the plugs, I plan on getting new ones soon) also the idle seems a "little" erratic to me, seems to stumble a little.

Temp here is anywhere from 65F in morning to 90+ in afternoon recently it has been around 82F

Thanks again B)

snakebones
08-30-2004, 01:31 PM
1st let me say thanks again for all the help....
I have adjusted the idle fuel mix out 1&1/4 turns idle sounds good & I replaced the stock plugs with screamin eagles Bike seems to be runnin great....when I hit the throttle it was kicking out some black smoke and seemed to stumble after, so I turned in the accelerator pump screw 1/4 of a turn to lean it out a little. any other fine tuning tips? keep em coming!

Also I have been thinking of upgrading to the Screamin Eagle Ignition module. Any feedback on performance?

wreckerman
08-30-2004, 09:01 PM
screaming eagel ignition mudule will be a nice add on to your bike they work well as for your carb just keep tweaking it and you should be good to go

Bigshovel
09-01-2004, 12:47 AM
screaming eagel ignition mudule will be a nice add on to your bike they work well as for your carb just keep tweaking it and you should be good to go Good tip, the "E" is capable of delivering more fuel than you can burn with a stocker. An upgraded ignition will really turn your bike on as it will be able to burn more fuel. The more air and fuel you can move through the motor efficiently, the more power you will make. I would also recommend a less restrictive exhaust if you don't have one already. Dialing a carb in can be done accurately if the adjustments are in small increments over time. Read your plugs, they should be the same color as a brown paper sack in both the intermediate and main jet range of operation. If you don't already have the S&S instruction sheet I suggest you go to their site and reference carbs in the technical forms section. If you have any trouble we will gladly walk you through it step by step. ^_^

snakebones
09-02-2004, 10:59 AM
I will let you know what I find out once I get the new screamin eagle ignition, as for the pipes I have V&H bigshot staggard with baffles in.
Should I also upgrade the coil & if so any recommendations? ^_^

wreckerman
09-02-2004, 09:13 PM
i dont think missing with the coil well gane anything for you with what you are running so i would save the money B)

junior
09-02-2004, 10:30 PM
my $0.02...

the performance ignitions from s/e only offer a more aggressive advance curve and a few hundred more rpm on the rev limiter. on an otherwise stock engine, changing these two parameters will likely offer little "seat of the pants dyno" differences. as for a coil change- again- the stock coil is often used on fairly warmed up engines. besides- you need to use a tc-88 version which is still relatively rare in the aftermaket. unless you have made some cam/head changes- you might hold off on igniton parts.

i run an "e" on my tc-88a in my softail. it has a stock (but from a fxdwg) ignition and coil with v&h pipes. bike runs perfectly, plugs are a light tan- never missed a lick. however, i did take nearly half a day to dial everything in properly on the carb adjustments.

i think that if you do the same, you'll save money on buying stuff you might not really need...

fwiw-

j

rwpatton
09-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Got'a go with the don't change the coil. Y'a won't gain a thing. SE module is good but y'a might want to consider an adjustable ignition. It's more money but will adapt more readily to any future engine mods. And we all know once we start modifying it's hard to stop.Just a thought. B)

RW