PDA

View Full Version : VHS-DVD

hogwylde
10-02-2005, 03:59 PM
While in Florida this week for my Grandmother's funeral, I came across 2 VHS tapes in her apartment, which had her 40th & 50th anniversary from 1979 and 1989. As we all know, VHS tapes can and will disentigrate over time and thought it would be a great idea to convert them over to DVD and burn a whole bunch of copies for the family.

Is there an easy way to do this? Or is it all dependent on one's video card, as mine doesn't have RCA inputs? OR, are there places that can do this for me?

RIP (((((Grandma))))) :(

1918-2005

Ezlivn
10-02-2005, 04:10 PM
It is rather easy to do. So I'm told. Actually, they sell the combo VCR and DVD recorder. That might be a bit of an expense for just that. You may even want to check with Wal-Mart. My Father -in -law had some real old reel to reel videos..( yeah the ones with no sound ) and they converted to dvd for him. Good luck

HDangel
10-02-2005, 05:27 PM
post deleted

HDangel
10-02-2005, 05:50 PM
post deleted

Shorty
10-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Its doable but I dont know about easy if youve never done it before. There are 3 basic steps to it.
1. Get your video onto your computer. (IE USB or Firewire port.)
2. Author/Edit the video. (Youll need software for this)
3. Burn the video to the dvd.
There are alot of tutorials on the web. I was going to grab you one but you need to find one that is easy and understandable to you, and compatible with any software you have or might want to buy. If you do it yourself remember that you can transfer the VHS straight over, or take the time to add captions, graphics, music, etc.
If you want someone to do it for you, your best bet would be your local telephone book. I recommend local because I wouldnt think youd want to send off precious family movies to a distant business you know nothing about and cant storm down if things go wrong.
I say if you want it transferred straight over go professional. I did with my families ooooold 8mm's and had them made into VHS tapes. Now Im thinking of DVD too hehe.
Go for it Hoggie!

wreckerman
10-02-2005, 09:47 PM
there is a shop by me that i have used before that does excealy what you want 15.00 first set up and 6.00 a pice for copys after that .. but he does good work and will also inhance bad lighting and so on

TexasFatBoy
10-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Also keep in mind that if you do it yourself, there may be further degradation of the images depending on processor, video card, compression, etc. The best way to have it done would be to use a shop that specializes in photo/video etc. They have the setup that will insure the least amount of image degradation in the transfer.

I would also keep one master copy that does not get played as an archival copy because even with DVD's, there is a certain amount of degradation over time.