PDA

View Full Version : power commander problem

eyeman
09-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Have 03 Road King EFI stage 1 air cleaner, SE slipons, Stage 1 ECU flash,
installed PC III USB used correct map bike runs great cruising but if i get on it in 4th or 5th 2000- 3000 rpm it knocks, removed PC and it doesn't
knock or ping at all never had a problem before. HELP!!

JD
09-23-2004, 02:13 PM
If the engine is stock and you did the air cleaner, muflers, and Stage I burn from H-D, you shouldn't really need the PCIII. Sounds like the PCIII might be giving too much timing advance in that RPM.

09-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Try another map or use the compare feature in the PCIII software to compare the map your currently using to another map that comes close to matching what your bike is currently setup with. My bike would run strong up to about 3 grand and then poop out when I cranked on it. I switched to a map that injected more gas from about 1500 up and had no more problems.

whodatt
09-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Not sure, but you can also try the accelorator pump feature. With that you can keep the map that you like but add additional fuel whenever you get on it. You can adjust how much fuel to add and for how long.

Even if it doesn't cure your problem, it's fun to play with.

Wide
09-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi Eyman

Welcome to the forums :D

They got it right, you will need to try a different map, you either have to much ignition or a too lean a condition at that rpm range causing detonation.

Post back if you need more help. :D

eyeman
09-23-2004, 04:26 PM
can i richen it enough with the buttons or do i need to use a different map?
the map doesn't seem to show any change in ignition timing just fuel changes

Wide
09-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Yes first try to richen it up before we start playing with a new map

Wreckerman will be in this afternoon, He's the pro at the PC lll

We'll get you running good , it's only a motor ;)

Anyone else running the same setup as him??

09-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Don't mess with the ignition setttings. Your just running a little lean for that rpm. When I first installed the PCIII I chose a setup that I thought closest matched my setup. When I discovered the dead spot I compared the map I had installed with a completely different map that was semi close to what I was running. I noticed that the fuel delivery on the original map dropped off after about 3000rpm. I installed the another map that gave more fuel in the 2000 to 4000 range and it made a huge difference. You could always use the buttons to punch in a little more fuel in the mid range. I don't know about the accelerator pump feature. I don't notice any difference after setting it up. I have it setup to come on at 60% throttle, 20% fuel, rotation is 20. I haven't had much time to play with it.

wreckerman
09-23-2004, 10:18 PM
what the guys have told you is right on target , you need to richen it up a bit try the buttons first if that dont do it go with other map get this squred away first before adding the accerator pump feature

eyeman
09-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks wreckerman, fixed the problem with the buttons 2 leds on the low range 3 on the mid, bike never ran better. did a couple hundred miles on sunday two up, pulls much better,still needs more cubic inches and a cam though... winter project Thanks Later!

wreckerman
09-28-2004, 10:09 PM
very cool glad you got it worked out , is there ever enough hourse's in a engine??? :lol: