PDA

View Full Version : 65, Through tank fuel valve

lioutofplace
10-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Hi guys I have a question about my fuel valve, as you know I have a 65 and the valve is through the fuel tank. I'm not sure what is normal, I know when its opened up ( screw counter clock wise ) fuel is opened up and when lifted and tightened left is the reserve. When I open mine up it seams to not want to stay open, I've had it close itself back off while riding. Is it supposed to be stiff to hold itself open? Maybe someone can tell me what it is supposed to be and then I can compair what it is I got. I'll thank you guys ahead of time cause you always know to goods. Mark

Wide
10-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Mine is pretty much the same way

Rule of thumb is it shes not leaking leave it alone.

The old ones had personallity :D

lioutofplace
10-12-2005, 02:19 AM
Thanks wide, no leaks so thats good news. Thanks again

Wide
10-12-2005, 05:18 AM
Your Welcome :D

rwpatton
10-13-2005, 05:24 AM
I agree with wide no leaks is good and if you know how the valve reacts while riding you can deal with it accordingly.

It seems to me that the valve must have some sort of sealing gasket or o-ring that should offer some type of resitance against closing while riding.

maybe replacing alleged seal or o-ring would dampen the valve enough to prevent closing while riding.

Responding purely out of thought and not knowlege. fwiw

If it a'int broke don't fix it. But I would find it troublesome if it shut my bike down at a inoportune moment.

RW

Heretic
10-13-2005, 11:36 PM
this is VERY common with older tanks, and is the reason I switched to shovel style tanks on mine. I agree with the advise of Wide and RW about this. If that valve is still working, and not leaking, after 40 years it is doing good. I would leave it as is, and keep an eye on it

lioutofplace
10-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks again guys!

cereiter
11-19-2005, 03:20 PM
I am having the same problem with my 60FL...It would appear that the stem packing is shot and not holding the stem in place. I am taking this apart this morning and plan on making some packing out of Teflon or leather. I'll let you know how this turns out...CER

Wide
11-19-2005, 09:07 PM
I am having the same problem with my 60FL...It would appear that the stem packing is shot and not holding the stem in place. I am taking this apart this morning and plan on making some packing out of Teflon or leather. I'll let you know how this turns out...CER

Cool man, that should work

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum
Not many real bikes around anymore ;)

Kagan
11-20-2005, 12:15 AM
My wife made me sell my Panhead. I wanted a RoadKing and she said I couldn't have two bikes. WAAAHHH.

Every fuckin' day I have seller's remorse. I love the RK, but dealing with the Old Iron was challenging and interesting.

I'm the "go to guy" at the counter whenever one of the noobs gets a pre-Twin Cam customer. :lol: :lol:

Wide's gotcha covered and then some. I only responded out of longing for a good "oldies" question. :)

lioutofplace
11-20-2005, 12:52 PM

I was wondering about that let me know how it works out, we used to replace the leathers inside an old windmill pump it should work the same way, I'm not sure about the reaction to gas though. Thanks and let me know. Mark

cereiter
12-01-2005, 02:05 AM
I just fixed the fuel valve on my 60FL using new leather packings. See the photo gallery...I posted photos and comments. Curtis

lioutofplace
12-01-2005, 11:59 PM
I just fixed the fuel valve on my 60FL using new leather packings. See the photo gallery...I posted photos and comments. Curtis

Looks simple enough, I can't remember having leather around gas for any length of time. I assume that you cut the leather tight enough so as the pressure keep the valve stem up. I wonder if cork like the old Linkert carbs would do the same thing. let me know if you have any problems. Thanks again. Mark

Wide
12-02-2005, 12:26 AM
I just saw what you did

If you write a few notes on it I'll make it an article

Will be taking my 65 apart starting this weekend :blink2:

cereiter
12-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Yea...I feel it should work fine. The stem is .312" and the leather (about .095" thick) was punched to .250"...plenty of friction material. The OE rubber seat is still in place, so I should not have a major gas issue. Just the spring and washer was replaced with the leather packing material.

Other news...Here in Jax it is 65 and bright sunny wx, my buddy says it is too cold to ride. He has the windows closed and a fire in the fireplace!

Curtis

Wide
12-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Other news...Here in Jax it is 65 and bright sunny wx, my buddy says it is too cold to ride. He has the windows closed and a fire in the fireplace!

Curtis

Yep, same deal here, 65 & cloudy, I'm freezing B)

lioutofplace
12-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Yea...I feel it should work fine. The stem is .312" and the leather (about .095" thick) was punched to .250"...plenty of friction material. The OE rubber seat is still in place, so I should not have a major gas issue. Just the spring and washer was replaced with the leather packing material.

Curtis

Ok yea the rubber seal should do it, we were talking about it today and one guy thought the gas would eat the leather. the rubber should keep it off enough, how much splashing could really get up there.

oh it should get up to 38 on Sunday for the TOY run in NYC. Perrrrrfect :rolleyes:

Tuxedo7
03-17-2006, 04:41 AM
Got a 40 knuckle, and also have the issue of the knob not staying "up" ... fortunately when it drops, it doesn't drop enough to cut off the fuel unless I screw it back down. I guess when we all get that old, we'll have difficulty "keeping it up". Also, on the leather ... the old bikes used leather "gaskets" on the fuel tank caps ... I've had 'em on mine, and didn't see any real degradation in the leather.

Wide
03-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Howdy Tuxedo7

Like that old stuff also?

Welcome to the forums 1beer

Tuxedo7
03-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah, Wide ... got hooked on a '65 Corvette, and then migrated to an even older bike ... really like the fact that there are few on the road, and there's a little more of a connection required between the man and the machine ... maybe my next "investment" will be a horse!

40WL1234
03-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Mine does the same thing. It also leaks out the top. Thought of using a o-ring under neath the cap.

panhead_paul
05-14-2006, 04:27 PM
I took the knob off mine (Philips screw) and put a lite spring on the shaft., then replaced knob.....I still have to hold it up when on reserve, but that keeps me from riding until I run completely out.. sorta of an ancient idiot light

alazlo
12-08-2006, 01:19 PM
I gave the chrome cap on top the valve half a turn and it crushed the gasket material enough to hold the valve open...