PDA

View Full Version : 1942 Harley WLA Liberator

Liberator
10-16-2005, 05:29 AM
Hello: I just purchased a nicely restored 1942 Harley WLA Military issue Liberator on Ebay. I haven't received it yet, and don't know much about it, except that it looks really neat and exciting.

Can anyone tell me anything about this motorcycle?

How does it ride? Considering that it is a hardtail I am a little concerned about that, since I am used to shock absorbers.

And I don't know anything about a foot clutch or tank shifter?

I am not a mechanic, should I expect that it will always need some sort of tinkering?

Anything else to watch out for such as fluids leaking, etc.

Thanks. I hope to hear from some of you that are are experienced with older Harleys. If I can figure out how to do it I will post some photos.

Thanks.

Wide
10-16-2005, 05:40 AM
Hi Liberator

Welcome to the forums

Cool bike you have there, I'm am old iron guy myself

HWat to expect

Get a service & parts manual plus any other service book you can find

She'll be leaking some, thats normal but it should run ok :D

rwpatton
10-17-2005, 03:26 AM
Welcome to the forum. The old dog will chug along happily and be reltively good if y'a treat her right. Yes, you will need to tweek on'er to keep her happy. She'll do 45 all day without complaint but If you try an wring'er out by running her faster she will complain and show her ass.

Very cool wish I owned one. ;)

RW

Horse
10-17-2005, 03:40 AM
Welcome Liberator to HCG. Great pics of your bike. looks like great restroation.

Liberator
10-17-2005, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the Welcome Guys. It seems like this site is going to be a lot of fun and good information.

I was thinking about putting a sidecar on the old Harley. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about a sidecar set-up on this bike?

macsRKC
10-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Awsome looking bike! Wecome! bottomsup

Tuxedo7
03-17-2006, 04:57 AM
I was where you are a couple of years ago. Like "Wide" said, get a service and parts manual. You'll find that, like old cars, there are lots of "adjustments" recommended every few hundred miles, but most are fairly straightforward as long as you have some entry-level experience turning a wrench ... and can follow directions. Stuff like the constant chain adjustments, lube, occasional wheel truing, etc. The oil system is a "total loss system, which means that oil is slowly dripped onto the primary chain with no recovery ... it simply drips slowly out of the primary cover ... as intended. I have a 1940 knuckle, and really do most work myself with little experience myself. Get yourself a new "sealed" maintenance free 6V battery ... you can find them on ebay for about $70 bucks ... save a lot of hassle with filling and the resulting acid spillage.

Denny
03-17-2006, 05:25 AM
That is a great lookin bike. B) B)
From the pics it looks like it is in pretty good shape.
Welcome to HCG. :)

olfatfart
03-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Welcome in. I love that bike! Course along with my other vices I restore military vehicles. Enjoy it and ride it.