PDA

View Full Version : Hoecakes

gliderider94
10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Shorty's signature contains a reference to "Hoecakes". Several member had wondered what they are. Here ya go....

Hoecakes
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup self-rising cornmeal, or from a mix (recommended: Aunt Jemima's)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon grease
Oil, butter, or clarified margarine, for frying

Mix well all ingredients, except for the frying oil. Heat the frying oil or butter in a medium or large skillet over medium heat. Drop the batter, by full tablespoons, into the hot skillet. Use about 2 tablespoons of batter per hoecake. Fry each hoecake until brown and crisp; turn each hoecake with a spatula, and then brown the other side. With a slotted spoon, remove each hoecake to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Leftover batter will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days.

bobber47
10-27-2005, 08:52 PM
thanks glide gonna try them this weekend

gliderider94
10-27-2005, 09:05 PM
thanks glide gonna try them this weekend

I made some last night. I used the 1/4 cup of bacon grease in the batter as opposed to the vegetable oil. Just felt that no self respecting southern fry cook would ever use vegetable oil when bacon grease was an option.

I put Honey on them, on a few I put some Amish raspberry jam I bought off some Amish lady on the side of the road. Great both ways. Deffinately NOT a low cholesterol recipe. Damn good vitals.
:D

Tony
10-29-2005, 07:11 PM
...I made some last night. I used the 1/4 cup of bacon grease in the batter as opposed to the vegetable oil. Just felt that no self respecting southern fry cook would ever use vegetable oil when bacon grease was an option...

After living in the South for many years, it was a normal site to see a can or jar on almost everyones countertop near the sink. All of them had bacon grease in them, and was used daily for almost all cooking needs.

If anyone out there hates collard greens, (or even loves them) well then try this southern way of cookin them up.

First, find fresh whole leaf collard greens, the freshers and bigger the better.

Next, soak them in cold water in your sink for a half hour to loosen any dirt or sand on them. Then wash them off real good. Real southerners will toss big batches in the washing machine and run em through the rinse cycle once.

Next, fry up a pound of bacon in the largest iron skillet you can find, and make it nice and crisp. Set aside the bacon to dry, but keep the bacon grease in your pan.

Next, toss in the collards and fry them in the bacon grease until they limp as hell, and are nice and dark.

Next, dump in a 1/4 cup of sugar when they are almost done cooking, and then crumble the cooked bacon and toss that in as well. Stir it all around and you are done.

Serve it nice and hot, right out of the skillet. Now thats southern cooking!

GuitarGuy
10-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Bahhh..I thought that this was going to be pictures of some nekid ladies... boobs

Growlpipe
10-29-2005, 08:27 PM
There's no cookin like southern cookin!!

My mom grew up in the old south, Troy Alabama. My grandmother taught her well!! Damn my mom could cook. Home cooked southern meals every day when I was growing up.

Even now with the reciepes, it's still not as good as mom used to make it.