PDA

View Full Version : Hi from SC

fallenharleyangel
09-28-2004, 03:54 AM
ive been sorta just lurking around the last few days, liked what ive seen and decided to go ahead and join.
My name is Kelly and im from SC.
Mom, wife, and shop manager.
Im also a broken down rider right now. I was in a wreck last year where i totally crushed my knee and lower leg. having a few back problems. so as of now, im not riding. I will ride again, im not giving up, just gotta do a little more healing and preparing.
Riding is in my blood, bikes are in my blood, harleys are in my blood.
So since im not riding Ive been doing more on internet than ever. I came across this site somehow and have been doing alot of reading. I think Im going to like it here if i get to stick around.
Kelly

whodatt
09-28-2004, 04:05 AM
Hello Kelly and welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope everything gets better for you soon. This is a great place with lots of friendly people and good information.

Hope you have fun.

Wide
09-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Hi Kelly,

Glad you found us here :D
Sorry about the accident, been down that road a few times myself.
Sitting here recovering from back surgery myself & off the road for a bit.
Our day will come ;)

Ejoy the forums & feel free to jump in when you like :D

TexasFatBoy
09-28-2004, 04:19 AM
Welcome Kelly - make yourself at home - we may not be able to mend ya, but we can sure help ya pass the time until you're ready to ride again! 1beer

Superloop
09-28-2004, 04:26 AM
Hello

jazda
09-28-2004, 05:05 AM
fallenharleyangel,,, welcome to the HCG forum.... sorry you aren't able to ride right now... please take care an mend full an strong.... meanwhile, join us here and become part of a great family of friends....
B)

fallenharleyangel
09-28-2004, 05:08 AM
Great, thanks for the welcomes, trying to get the feel of the place.
seems like a great group.
I havent had back surgery, and dont want it, heard it was pretty rough.
Im 37 years old, been riding for along time, started at age 11, wanted to ride my brothers dirt bike, he wouldnt teach me, nor my other brothers, or my dad, taught myself, hit a few bushes and trees...never really hurt myself. Last year, i had to make the decision of hitting head on or laying it down at 50...chose laying it down. funny, its true how so much shit can go through your mind in just an instant..next thing i knew i was on the side of the road with ems cutting my clothes off. hopefully im through with all surgeries now. I walk with a bad limp and sometimes have to use a cane when the knee is bothering me, my leg is crooked, but I have my life! and most thankful for that. It was my first accident, so give me time, and i will get back on. Dr.s state that my leg will not be strong enough to hold a bike up. thought of going to a 3 wheeler. only problem with that is, im not sure if i wanna do that. i really wanna ride on 2 wheels again. time will tell i guess.
As far as the back goes, dr is leaning toward a torn tendon, inflammed against my spine, exrays will be back wed. so will know then. I told my husband, kinda hurts worse than the the leg and knee did, i think its just cause i dont have all them pain pills i had back then..haha
anyway thanks for the welcome looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Kel
warning..im not very quiet.

Superloop
09-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Dr.s state that my leg will not be strong enough to hold a bike up.

Doctors; WTF do they know? That's why they call it PRACTICING medicine. My sis in law had an anuresym (sp? WTF, I'm not a dictionary, just a dic...) about 2 months ago, docs said she'd never be the same, almost child-like. Well, here it is a mere few weeks later and she's been given a full release.... she's fine. Don't take the doc's word, check it out yourself. :)

speedman
09-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the forums Kelly. Best of luck with your recovery.

Ratbike
09-28-2004, 01:50 PM
welcome fallenharleyangel

What a story. You made it this far for a reason, so the desire is still there and thats what will make it happen. Best of luck. :)

TexasFatBoy
09-28-2004, 03:25 PM
I had back surgery myself a few months ago at age 36 and I tell ya, they've come a long way - had a microdiscectomy to reduce the inflammation of a disc and I was in at 5:30am, up and walking by 10:30 am, was home by 11:30 am and back to work with almost 100% function within a week. Now I do notice once in awhile when I overdo it, but that's just my own stupidity taking over! :lol:

Regardless of what you find, always get a second opinion from another doctor. The wife recently had some female surgery done and had done her homework, knew what the latest procedure was and fought with her doctor to allow her to receive that treatment - I think she knew more about it than the doc! But it paid off, she had the procedure she wanted and is healing wonderfully.

There are a lot of very good doctors out there, but there are also a lot of docs who shouldn't be in the field at all for whatever reason. Choose carefully, do your own homework, and never take no for an answer. Sounds to me like you're a pretty strong lady, so that BS about not having leg strength to hold up a bike is just that, BS! I can tell you want to ride again, so I know you'll find a way to make it happen!

wreckerman
09-28-2004, 10:29 PM
kelly welcome to the harley chat group sounds like you have the right spirt for a good recovery and dont sweat the bike deal my best man had his leg removed completly and has a wood leg now , and he felt the same way well i was able to set a bike up for him that he rides all over the place, it included moveing the shifter right next to the rear break pedal and putting on a ft roll off kick stand , but he has his harley and he can ride it with very little problems also what tfb said about the doctors does aply to you so dont take no for a answer ... and we like are gals fistey around here , so you will fit right in B)

Ironhead80
09-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Welcome aboard from the other Carolina, sucks to hear about the fall. Keep at it and my wife and I will look forward to meeting you next year at Myrtle!!

wreckerman
09-28-2004, 11:29 PM
ironhead80 you said the wife and i ??did you forget someone?? she has all the harley clothing , so what do you think

Ironhead80
09-28-2004, 11:32 PM
I have a buddy whose parents live down there, she'll be too little to tag along so I have a sitter arranged for a night...yes over a year advance I have a sitter.

wreckerman
09-28-2004, 11:36 PM
agreed i was just busting your balls a little , good think though babey setter a year in advance :wub:

Ironhead80
09-28-2004, 11:40 PM
It's cool man, I am actually enjoying everything so far, and I'm proud to say that I got peed on at Sams Club yesterday.

wreckerman
09-28-2004, 11:51 PM
i can handle the pee , and even the barf but i had to draw the line on the green stuff that comes out the bottom :lol: hell i dont even have grankits that young anymore :wub:

Ironhead80
09-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Don't sweat it, you're only as old as the pu$$y you pull. :D

Motown
09-29-2004, 01:20 AM
Wow! Err...how do you follow that conversation between ironhead80 and wreckerman.

flush :lol:

Hi fallenharleyangel, watch out because this site and the people here are extremely addictive! I also recently discoverd the HCG and can't seem to get away.

Best regards,

OldSalt
09-29-2004, 03:35 AM
Welcome to our group Kelly. I have found this group to be full of great people, so I think you will like it here. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that one day you can ride again.

fallenharleyangel
10-03-2004, 04:09 AM
again everyone thanks for the welcome.
glad to be part of the group.
Kel

BrahmaBull
10-06-2004, 08:18 PM
i know i'm about to speak blasphemy, but have you considered possibly buying something a little smaller, just until you can ride HD again? i know honda and suzuki both make cruisers that weigh in at only around 300 pounds (i know honda has the rebel), and have smaller engines which would be a lot easier to handle given your leg injury. obviously they're not HD, you'll never get the sound or performance, but its a good idea to kick around as the itch to ride gets worse hehe. plus they're fairly inexpensive, and almost any cruiser holds pretty good resale value. ok, thats my two cents :mellow:

Ironhead80
10-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Whoa!!! Talkin nonsense now!!!!! bottomsup

wreckerman
10-06-2004, 10:42 PM
irionhead80 not so fast , think about it she could get some breeze in her face and then use it to start a camp fire :lol:

TexasFatBoy
10-06-2004, 10:44 PM
And ya can always use it as lawn art! :lol:

askher
10-07-2004, 12:51 AM
howdy fallenharleyangel, sorry to hear about things

pull up a chair, have a beer an get comfy :)

Ironhead80
10-07-2004, 01:20 AM
irionhead80 not so fast , think about it she could get some breeze in her face and then use it to start a camp fire :lol:

LOL she can do what she wants, I just didn't want her to get carried away with the Rebel thing. If she does lean that way at least she'll be able to park it at the corner of her desk and keep all those blasted papers from flying around.

fallenharleyangel
10-09-2004, 05:05 AM

Doctors; WTF do they know? That's why they call it PRACTICING medicine. My sis in law had an anuresym (sp? WTF, I'm not a dictionary, just a dic...) about 2 months ago, docs said she'd never be the same, almost child-like. Well, here it is a mere few weeks later and she's been given a full release.... she's fine. Don't take the doc's word, check it out yourself. :)

That is great !! hell ive been through more than the wreck, just wont go into all of it right now. Just that the wreck was the worst and emotionally and physicallly.
Kel

fallenharleyangel
10-09-2004, 05:13 AM
i know i'm about to speak blasphemy, but have you considered possibly buying something a little smaller, just until you can ride HD again? i know honda and suzuki both make cruisers that weigh in at only around 300 pounds (i know honda has the rebel), and have smaller engines which would be a lot easier to handle given your leg injury. obviously they're not HD, you'll never get the sound or performance, but its a good idea to kick around as the itch to ride gets worse hehe. plus they're fairly inexpensive, and almost any cruiser holds pretty good resale value. ok, thats my two cents :mellow:

I know what youre saying, the rebels and nighthawks are fairly light wieght, even yammys, ive owned them before, started on yammy, went to nighthawk, then moved on up to the harley world, where i prefer to stay. until i can get my confidence back up and a little bit more use of the leg...i have to settle for wrenching on a few for now. thanks for the info though.
Kelly

fallenharleyangel
10-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Whoa!!! Talkin nonsense now!!!!! bottomsup

Actually I DO understand what hes trying to say. I have limited, very limited use of the leg, however, i did try something a little smaller the other day.
My husband owns bike and auto mechanic shop, i run the bike shop. yes i can wrench on bikes....cars..hell no.
anyway...it was kinda funny, but have you seen those little bitty electric scooters designed like a chopper..well one came in the shop for a throttle cable.
I made a joke and said thats my next bike, later that day i was zooming all around in the parking lot laughing like hell. Guess youd have to be there to understand the comedy.
Kel

fallenharleyangel
10-09-2004, 05:22 AM

That is great !! hell ive been through more than the wreck, just wont go into all of it right now. Just that the wreck was the worst and emotionally and physicallly.
Kel

Ironhead80
10-09-2004, 05:22 AM
Those mini choppers are great! That's my next big waste of money...errr...I mean investment. I wasn't trying to be a dick but even for medicenal purposes you can't go back. Heal soon, suck it up, and ride on. If that doesn't work post some pics of the Rebel.

fallenharleyangel
10-09-2004, 05:55 AM
Those mini choppers are great! That's my next big waste of money...errr...I mean investment. I wasn't trying to be a dick but even for medicenal purposes you can't go back. Heal soon, suck it up, and ride on. If that doesn't work post some pics of the Rebel.

Didnt think you were being a dick. and there will be no rebel posting.haha
Maybe when its not so late and i havent taken so much meds, i will tell all. i no longer own a honda or yammy. I no longer own the bike i crashed.
In the shed, i had yamaho 650, 450 honda nighthawk, 69 sportster, 2 scooters (kids), and 67 triumph I was homebound for 10 weeks. i was on morphine the 1st week i was home, then changed over to oxycontin and oxycodone, then later to lortabs, muscle relaxers, sleeping pills, you name i probably took it.
the week of morphine, i had my husband sale everything out of the shed. These were personal bikes, when i build a bike, to me its a piece of art, not just a machine, but art. i love it. i built the yammy, i built the honda, i built the sportster, but the triumph still lays in boxes and crates, i will be starting on it soooon. Only thing he didnt sale was the triuimph. he knew that once my head was cleared, id regret that.
I will post pics tomorrow when its not so late of my hubbies bike we built. where would i do that anyway? in the gallery section in my accounts, or on the forums somewhere?
:unsure: Kel :unsure:
kelly

wreckerman
10-09-2004, 12:51 PM
you could post that picture in eather the gallery or right here in this topic and we would love to see it , you hang in there you sound like a gal that has bikes in her blood stream so i dought that it will be long before your up and ride the bike of your choice

affatboy04
10-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Welcome, Kelly. This is a great place to hang out and stay in touch with others that share the same passion until the body heals. Great people and great posts.

fallenharleyangel
10-10-2004, 04:23 AM
you could post that picture in eather the gallery or right here in this topic and we would love to see it , you hang in there you sound like a gal that has bikes in her blood stream so i dought that it will be long before your up and ride the bike of your choice

Ive added a couple as attachments, hope i did it right.
This is how it looks today.
I painted the bike. ive painted before, plenty, but this was my first time trying airbrush. you dont see the other side, cause i messed up a little haha.
I will try and get it all in gallery soon.
In the meantime if you really wanna ccheck out the full build from the baskets and other shovelheads we've built you can click on this link to take you straight to my photo albums pages.

http://harleycat.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

or visit webpage, which isnt much, just something i did one night when i couldnt sleep. .... http://www.geocities.com/strutyouriron/strutyouriron.html

Kel

fallenharleyangel
10-10-2004, 04:27 AM
screwed up..trying again.

fallenharleyangel
10-10-2004, 04:33 AM
I cant get the full size bike to attach.

1967 generator shovel stroked 108ci