PDA

View Full Version : DEFECTIVE MAIN BREAKER REPLACEMENT

rwpatton
09-29-2004, 12:51 AM
I was just reading an article about how some harley models main breakers trip when they get hot. Seems to increase in very hot weather.

The solution they(indy shop) came up with was to replace the breaker with a Maxifuse. Riders reported breaker problem solved.

Sounds like a pretty good solution for a irritating problem.

Anyone have some input on this?

RW

wreckerman
09-29-2004, 12:54 AM
rw the way i understood it was if the breaker was bad harley was replaceing them at no charge and they did have a recall on some of them

junior
09-29-2004, 01:15 AM
rw-

i agree with the logic, however, a maxifuse is still a fuse. in the event that you have a problem (either short or temporary overload) it lets go and you are s.o.l unless you have some spares. for me, i'd rather a self-resetting breaker....

j

rwpatton
09-29-2004, 03:11 AM
Junior, agree with the slight advantage a breaker may have over a fuse.

Here's my thoughts.

I feel that originally H/D installed breakers on the bikes because their switches were marginal and vibration raised havoc with wiring harness's. Intermittant problems were more readily controlled by having an electrical cutout that would re'engage rather than quit alltogether. In retrospect I have replaced alot of shovel fusible links with fuses which are easier to replace on the side of the road than the links themselves. I have also ridden home on a scoot that would quit and restart due to the breakers.

All this said, if you look at a late model dyna the only breaker in the wiring harness is between the starter and battery. This would be for over cranking or overloading the starter. All other circuits are fused.

With the H/D lineup being so improved with minimal vibration I question (cause I don't know the answer) why the continued use of circuit breakers is preferred. In the automotive world, (for the most part)only electric motors that might carry a load utilize breakers.

So I guess the fact still remains. If your 'breakers are breaking' and your 'fuses are defusing' y'a still got a problem that needs to be addressed.

Just food for thought, looking forward to others views of this issue.

Bring'em on! B)

RW

junior
09-29-2004, 03:14 AM
damn, dude- well said!

nothing to add here...

j

wreckerman
09-29-2004, 10:38 PM
rw my 02 rk must have at least 10 fuse's in the panel as well as 4 circut breakers, and i do agree that a fuse is easyer to change but a circut breaker is usaly more reliable and for sure more foregiving it will keep resetting while you are traceing a short , but a fuse will just keep blowing usealy before you find your short, but that is just my opioun