PDA

View Full Version : Question on Handheld PCs

rickbnsa
11-04-2005, 02:59 AM
My son turns 18 this weekend and I'm at a loss what to get him. Would take him to a strip joint but he's so henpecked and such a geek that he'd likely end up texting his gal the whole time!

So, I've been looking at handhelds/PDAs. Want one w/ wireless, good video and audio capability and decent software.

Any suggestions from users would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rickbnsa

hogwylde
11-05-2005, 02:29 AM
I already told ya........give him your truck! Wait wait wait......the keys, a 6 pack and the rubbers!

Shorty
11-05-2005, 02:51 AM
Id check out the HP Ipaq's. I bought my husband one and now he cant live without it. Most of them come with bluetooth, wi-fi, biometric security, and cameras.
I wouldnt know about the sound though. Being as small as they are I cant imagine it being of great quality.
As long as the PDA comes with an OS I wouldnt worry about additional software. Most of that pre-installed shit is demos anyways.
Link Here (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/generic_subcategory.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=storefronts&category=handhelds&subcat1=see_all_ipaqs&catLevel=2)
Good luck.

TexasFatBoy
11-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Valkyrie also has an iPaq and also recommends it - she listens to music on hers (using a headset) and says the sound quality isn't too bad - not as good as her iPod, but not bad.

bnaudie
11-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I have a Palm Treo650 and wouldn't wanna be without it. It's my cellphone, pager, camera, address book, appointment book, notebook, alarm clock, etc. I have the data account activated and use it for e-mail and web browsing. I even keep up with the HCG forums on it. It's slightly smaller than all of the Blackberries I've seen. And of course I keep it sync'd and do all of the tedious data entry with my PC.

I can put up to a gigabyte of music on a removable card. It uses wireless Bluetooth headsets.

It uses the Palm OS, but if you're partial to Windows OS, I think they're coming out with that model by end-of-year....

http://www.palm.com/us/

Wide
11-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I have a Palm Treo650 a

Thats the bad boy I want

arthureld
11-05-2005, 11:02 PM
I have a Palm Treo650 a

Thats the bad boy I want

I checked a lot of reviews a few months ago and if I remember right, that one seemed to be on top. I like to check cnet.com reviews for that kind of stuff.

Wide
11-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Yeah I think it even runs linux ^_^

rickbnsa
11-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! Turns out, he honestly figures he really wouldn't use a PDA so I saved some cash there. Looks like I may breakdown and steal my truck from him and put dual exhausts on it.

The ever sage Hogwylde offered me a better alternative: don't let him slide into adulthood, throw his ass into it! So, Hoggy, we are presenting him tonight w/ the truck he now borrows along with the remaining nine payments and full insurance responsibilities! Kid's sending his love, feel it? I'm drafting the room lease agreement you mentioned later tonight.

Thanks again for the input, I'll look into these myself, think I've found a better way to manage my jobs each day.

Damn, he's 18, this stuff happens too fast!

rickbnsa

RHSquonk
11-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah I think it even runs linux ^_^
Last I heard Palmsource was making a version of PalmOS (6.0) that runs ontop of Linux.
Basically the kernel with a few mobile specific apps intergrated with the PalmOS.
Its scheduled for release next summer.

The Ipaq has a Linux port. It been around a while so its a tad more stable.

BTW..I read a while back that all the new Palms are shipping with a windoze OS and not Palm anymore.
Sad....just so so sad.

-RHS