PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Oven Jambalaya

HeadDoc
11-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Most of ya'll know I am a Louisiana transplant to OK. I and my son Derek satisfy our need for Lousisana cookin' on campouts with this jambalaya recipe'. We have made some converts with this one. For those of you who don't know, jambalaya is a rice dish, not a soup or stew. enjoy. This can be done outside in a #12 dutch oven.

Derek’s Camp Out Jambalaya

Yields 8-10 servings

2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
3 teaspoons salt
black pepper to taste (1 ÂĽ teaspoons)
3 cups chopped yellow onions (2 medium sized onions)
1 cup chopped bellpepper (1 pepper)
1-3 tablespoons chopped garlic
½ - 1 cup chopped green onions (1-2 bunches)
2 ribs celery chopped
2 cans of chicken stock
1 can original diced Rotel tomato sauce
1 pound smoked sausage cubed (andouille’ - you won’t be able to find this unless you are from Louisiana …so just use Hillshire farms or something that you like)
1 ½ pounds white and dark chicken meat cut up (I take most of the bones out of a whole chicken and cut it up with a cleaver or big knife)
3 cups rice
Tabasco sauce

1.Heat oil in Dutch Oven over medium heat and sauté’ yellow onions, bellpepper, celery, garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper and stir for 20 minutes until they are dark brown. Scrape the bottom of the oven to loosen any browned pieces. Take out browned vegetables and save.

2.Add a little more oil and toss in chicken and brown for 10-20 minutes until brown and drippings are in bottom of Dutch Oven, you should really have a lot of brown stuff on the bottom of the oven.

3.Add sausage and brown it scraping the pot again (more brown residue in the bottom of the oven now)

4.Add chicken stock and scrape bottom of oven to loosen everything. Now you should have a dark colored stock with the meat in it simmering.

5.Add back sautéed vegetables, Rotel and stir

6.Add dry rice and stir up

7.Cover oven and cook over low heat for 30-35 minutes. Do not lift lid and do not stir.

8.Take off fire and let sit for about 2-3 minutes

9.Remove lid, take out bay leaves, add green onions and stir up

10.Eat the jambalaya. Add Tabasco sauce to individual servings as wanted.

Shorty
11-07-2005, 09:22 PM
That sounds extremely yummy. i dont have a dutch oven but Im assuming it can be made on the stovetop in a big pot?
And BTW, we can get andouille out here hehe. Would it be cajun without it? I dont think so! ;)
This recipe is also perfect timing with the weather. I love making long cooking hot meals when its grey and raining outside.
Thanx Doc!

HeadDoc
11-07-2005, 09:47 PM
That sounds extremely yummy. i dont have a dutch oven but Im assuming it can be made on the stovetop in a big pot?
And BTW, we can get andouille out here hehe. Would it be cajun without it? I dont think so! ;)
This recipe is also perfect timing with the weather. I love making long cooking hot meals when its grey and raining outside.
Thanx Doc!

You're welcome Shorty. It can be made on the stove in a big pot. A cook like yourself should have some cast iron cookware. Skillets, Dutch Ovens, and a griddle. Thesr's some things that just aren't quite right unless they are cooked in black cast iron. I used to go to the Jambalaya Festival in Gonzales, LA and they cooked in a big black iron cauldron over oak logs. that is the Jambalaya captial of the world and it is some good cher'.
Next will be my Chicken and Suasage gumbo recipe' That is my favorite, better than jambalaya B)

Jamorris
11-07-2005, 11:42 PM
HeadDoc;

Do you bake it or just simmer it with coals underneath? You scrape with anything special. I prefer wood, or hi temp rubber spatula.

I don't let The Babe mess with my cast iron. She does terrible things like scour them and let them soak in soapy water.!!!!

Jerry

HeadDoc
11-09-2005, 09:56 PM
HeadDoc;

Do you bake it or just simmer it with coals underneath? You scrape with anything special. I prefer wood, or hi temp rubber spatula.

I don't let The Babe mess with my cast iron. She does terrible things like scour them and let them soak in soapy water.!!!!

Jerry

good questions J. i use a wood spoon or teflon spatula on mine. If you are cooking outside in a campfire or with charcoal put about 9 coals or the equivalent in firewood underneat and about 15 coals on top. that'll bring your oven to about 325. I guess you could also bake but just think of it like cookin rice, better done on the stovetop simmering.

Side note ...if you have done it right the rice will take on a golden or rust color from all the drippings that you deglazed. that's some good eats!