PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360

Rhino
11-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Anyone rush out and get one yet? If so was it worth it? I am thinking of going out and pulling the trigger but they are so damn expensive with no sign of them going down in price for a year.

BikerBabe
11-22-2005, 06:46 PM
A friend suggested that I get this for my boys for Christmas. He said it was awesome. I haven't checked it out myself yet.

hogwylde
11-23-2005, 01:25 AM
I don't think I could camp out in line for anything. If it was a chance in a lifetime thing - I guess. But for a game system that will be around for a long time?..........nope

I'd just assume wait and save some money

D.N.F.
11-23-2005, 01:50 AM
Read a review and it basicaly said it was the best system blah blah blah

They did say don't waste your money on the 'base system' (my paraphrase) cause you will be sorry. Spend the extra $150 or so and get the one with hard drive cause you will need it for some games or something plus it is better in all regards. The cheaper system is just something to get you in the door but no one would want it. Kind of like comparing an 883 to a 1200.

If interested I can dig out the article. Sheesh it was online Globe and Mail so it is readily available.

Hope that helps.

Volusia
11-26-2005, 02:19 PM
They have demo units in Walmart, Bestbuy and Circuit City. I have seen Call of Duty 2. The graphics are alot better then Xbox. Is it worth $400?

Yes, if your a gamer.

firestarter
11-26-2005, 02:33 PM
News in Houston reporting shortage of XBox 360. Some people camped
out and still didn't get one! Damn the luck. They also mentioned that some people are reporting problems with some of them. That would suck to camp out in line and get lucky enough to get one and then the damn thing not work!

Buster
11-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Why in the hell would anyone want a game box of any kind when you have a computer available? The graphics are good on the game boxes but thats all you got.

You buy a game for the X-box and play it over and over. You get tired of it and quit playing. With a PC game someone is always making new mods to keep the game interesting. You can't make any mods to an X-box game. What you buy is what you get.

X-box games have always been limited by a processor and memory available to run the games. I think I read where this new game console is supposed to have expanded memory but it still won't be anything near what is available for a pc.

I have owned a few game consoles in my time. No way I will ever buy one if I have a pc in front of me.

Wide
11-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Why in the hell would anyone want a game box of any kind when you have a computer available? The graphics are good on the game boxes but thats all you got.

There's a smart man ;)

These are just a console hidden in a small box

Most people I know with x boxes converted them into media servers running linux :P

Reaper
11-26-2005, 06:00 PM

There's a smart man ;)

Most people I know with x boxes converted them into media servers running linux :P
Yup! And look around and you can get a fairly good basic computer for what you will spend on a game box.

Wide
11-26-2005, 06:02 PM
You can geta kick ass computer for $400 now

Buster
11-26-2005, 06:35 PM

There's a smart man ;)

Point well taken Wide! B)

The last generation of game consoles have a pretty meaty processor that would run a Linux platform. We know that Windows is an unstable gaming platform and is a resource hog on top of it. Problem is that most games won't run on Linux. I have seen where the developers have developed a patch to allow servers to host with Linux on some games.

Even the cheapest E-machines being sold today have close to a 3 GHz processor in them. If you take the money you would spend on a game console and buy a decent video card and some extra memory, they will run most any game out there today.

Just about any software that comes out these days is buggy as hell. They always rush each new game out the door before it is finished and try to fix it later after tons of people have wasted their money on it. I have a hard time believeing that sofware for the game consoles is any different. At least playing games on a pc, you can always hope for a patch to fix the problems. Not going to happen on a console. Your stuck with whatever you got.

Anyway............ my point on the subject was there are so many things that a pc will do better than a console when it comes to gaming.

Wide
11-27-2005, 06:06 AM
You can see what makes the new x-box tick with the free60 linux project they get real detailed here (http://www.free60.org/wiki/Documentation)

the Free60 project aims towards porting the open operating systems, such as Linux and Darwin, to the Xbox360. Currently they’ve gathered a lot of useful and detailed information surrounding the inner workings of the Xbox360. For example, apparently the Xbox360 is secured down by the following:

* The flash is encrypted with a per-box key
* The key is stored inside the CPU
* The boot ROM is stored inside the CPU
* Also inside the CPU is a hypervisor that verifies the running state of the kernel, making sure there is no modification (RAM checksums), else the Xbox360 panics and blows up!
* The CPU contains RAM inside of it to store the checksums
* All interrupt/exception handling is done by the hypervisor
* All code runs in kernel mode
* The emulator for first generation games can be updated via an official Microsoft download burned to CD by the user, though the CDs’ content will be encrypted and signed with public key cryptography.The boot ROM is stored inside the CPU

Buster
11-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the link Wide.

Looks like some interesting stuff. I am going to have to do some reading there and maybe my tired old processor of a brain can comprehend it. :wacko:

rickbnsa
11-28-2005, 03:08 AM
Daaamn! One of these things just sold on EBay for $740 (reserve met)! Another just closed at $930!

Let's see: a bike, basketball goal and a couple of baseball gloves, bat and ball at WalMart would run maybe $350. Hell there'd be enough left for esteem counseling when all was said and done.

Another one closing in five minutes and bidding at $1200! Why in hell didn't I go stand in line for a couple of thses things?!?!

Denny
11-28-2005, 03:21 AM
Daaamn! One of these things just sold on EBay for $740 (reserve met)! Another just closed at $930!

Let's see: a bike, basketball goal and a couple of baseball gloves, bat and ball at WalMart would run maybe $350. Hell there'd be enough left for esteem counseling when all was said and done.

Another one closing in five minutes and bidding at $1200! Why in hell didn't I go stand in line for a couple of thses things?!?!

You could get one hell of a PC for gaming for that kind of money. Those people are crazy putting out that kind of money for an xbox.
Just my $.2.

Rhino
12-28-2005, 07:15 AM

There's a smart man ;)

I fully understand you guys, trust me I do. I like the fact I can play on my 60" sony and not be infront of an actual computer. Funny thing is I play my xbox to get away from my computer. Remember I do this shit for a living.

Ferengi420
12-28-2005, 07:27 AM
hey all,

Well my input here is that the PC cant even touch what an box can do.
eg- My Pc is a 2.8ghz P4, with a Geforce 4 3dfx card.
Its graphics are no where near as good as my xbox 1 graphics.
for eg- one game I played on xbox i also borrowed to try on the PC.
On the xbox version there was one part where guys are shooting at you out of windows of a house.
on the PC version they are boarded up windwos.

Plus I like the xbox for the reason that I got it modded, I can now rent games from the video shop on $1 day and put it on the xboxes hard drive.
I then give the games back and can still play them without the software.
So far I have around 30 games that are each worth about $90 Aud, and they have all costed me about $30.

drunks