PDA

View Full Version : Beer can chicken

mklowe12
11-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Anybody give this a try? Thinking about doing it in a couple of weeks after the turkey gets eaten. Curious if there are any special techniques involved. I have a gass grill. thanks

Reaper
11-23-2005, 10:12 AM
No help in the special techniques department but do have a question though......how in the hell do you stuff a chicken in a beer can? :lol: :lol:

sporty883r
11-23-2005, 11:19 AM
beer can chicken is mighty yummy and easy to make. any beer will work. I use fryers hower I guess any chicken will work.

rub salt and pepper on it skin and other spices of your choice.

Open the beer can and pour off half of the beer. Set the half-full can on a flat surface and slide the chicken over the top so the can fits inside the cavity. Transfer the bird to the grill, keeping the can upright. Carefully balance the bird on its two legs and the can. Grill over Indirect Medium heat until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 170°F in the breast and 180°F in the thickest part of the thigh, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Wearing barbecue mitts, carefully remove the chicken and the can from the grill, being careful not to spill the beer – it will be hot. Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before lifting it from the can. Discard the beer. Cut the chicken into serving pieces. Serve warm.

If you need more ideas

http://www.e-rcps.com/pasta/main/fowl/chick_brcan_grill.shtml

firestarter
11-23-2005, 02:40 PM
I cook one about once a month, the family loves them cooked this way.
I usually cook them for about 1 1/2 hours on my gas grille. I try to keep the temp about 250-300 and having 3 burners, I put the chicken in the middle so it is not over direct heat, and put the other 2 burners on so the heat level is the same. I use Tony's seasoning on mine and I also put some on top of the beer can, but I don't open my beer can and pour any out. I use a ice pick and poke several holes in it without hitting the area that will open it. I have done it the other way also and I like this way better. You can also inject the bird and if you are careful, you can pull
the breast skin up and poke holes with a paring knife and insert small
pieces of garlic and jalepeno and that tastes delicious also. I am cooking
one also with our fried turkey on Thanksgiving Day. Good Luck Hope all
these posts help you.

LostLake
11-23-2005, 02:45 PM
beer can chicken is mighty yummy and easy to make. any beer will work. I use fryers hower I guess any chicken will work.

Open the beer can and pour off half of the beer. Set the half-full can on a flat surface and slide the chicken over the top so the can fits inside the cavity. Transfer the bird to the grill, keeping the can upright. Carefully balance the bird on its two legs and the can. Grill over Indirect Medium heat until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 170°F in the breast and 180°F in the thickest part of the thigh, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Wearing barbecue mitts, carefully remove the chicken and the can from the grill, being careful not to spill the beer – it will be hot. Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before lifting it from the can. Discard the beer. Cut the chicken into serving pieces. Serve warm.

If you need more ideas

For us Midwesterners, the recipe above needs to be revised to: Open the beer can and DRINK half of the beer.....
Transfer the bird to the grill, have another beer....
Wearing barbecue mitts, see how fast you can open and drink a beer...
Discard the hot beer, and drink a beer to honor the sacrifice.....
:D :D bottomsup

gliderider94
11-23-2005, 03:14 PM
No help in the special techniques department but do have a question though......how in the hell do you stuff a chicken in a beer can? :lol: :lol:

I don't really know, but I'm pretty sure the first thing you do is drink the beer.
:lol:

wildthing
11-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Put some garlic and onion in the can of beer and the flavors will go into the chicken. Also a nice meat rub on the skin is good as well. Hickory-Molasses is a great Rub for chicken. My buddy makes this all the time I love it!

HeadDoc
11-23-2005, 03:52 PM
yeah its good. don't pour off the beer though drink it! They actually make a wire rack you can buy for about 3 bucks that has a beer can holder in the middle, You put the can in the middle of the rack and slide the bird over the can with the feet pointing down. The rack has a broad base so it is stable with the can and chicken on it. I have one and you don't have to worry about the chicken falling over. I also like to inject it with Tony Chachere's marinades. that's good stuff. It's done when you can grab the drumsticks and wiggle them and they feel like they could be torn off the bird by hand.

just make sure you have enouigh clearance to close the grill lid with the chicken standing upright. I also prefer fryers over the big broilers

shaymus
11-23-2005, 05:48 PM
yeah its good. don't pour off the beer though drink it! They actually make a wire rack you can buy for about 3 bucks that has a beer can holder in the middle, You put the can in the middle of the rack and slide the bird over the can with the feet pointing down. The rack has a broad base so it is stable with the can and chicken on it. I have one and you don't have to worry about the chicken falling over. I also like to inject it with Tony Chachere's marinades. that's good stuff. It's done when you can grab the drumsticks and wiggle them and they feel like they could be torn off the bird by hand.

just make sure you have enouigh clearance to close the grill lid with the chicken standing upright. I also prefer fryers over the big broilers

Here is apicture of the rack. Keep 2/3 beer in the can. You can also use soda. The rack helps stabilize the chicken. I got mine at Lowes hardware. I bet you could find one at a home depot.

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5674/beercanchickenresize4dm.jpg

firestarter
11-23-2005, 05:52 PM
I got mine at Academy. About $3. I have 3 of them for when we have
a party. I forgot to put that in the post earlier. Thanks Shameus!

sporty883r
11-23-2005, 10:43 PM

If you need more ideas

For us Midwesterners, the recipe above needs to be revised to: Open the beer can and DRINK half of the beer.....
Transfer the bird to the grill, have another beer....
Wearing barbecue mitts, see how fast you can open and drink a beer...
Discard the hot beer, and drink a beer to honor the sacrifice.....
:D :D bottomsup

I guess tossing out a 1/2 can of beer would be called alcohol abuse. :P I make sure next time I don't waste good beer. :P

Reaper
11-23-2005, 10:51 PM

I don't really know, but I'm pretty sure the first thing you do is drink the beer.
:lol:
Oh...I got it! Drink the beer. First beer leads to the second, then third, by this time you've got the ole lady headed down to KFC. :lol: :lol: Thanks Bear!

mklowe12
11-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Thanks all for the tips. I'm going to give it a try after tomorrow. We are a fried turkey family since we were introduced to it a few years back. I hear the beer can chicken is just as good. Will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks again for the tips. drunks

bubba
11-24-2005, 03:32 AM
got 4 chickens and turkey all on smoker now about 200 to 250 slow cook indirect heat i use mesquite wood

TexasFatBoy
11-26-2005, 04:42 PM
And on a gas grill, you can still get a nice smoke if ya wanna smoke the bird a bit - just take some apple wood, mesquite, hickory, pecan, or other good smoking wood and take some small chunks, soak 'em in water, put 'em in a foil pouch and poke a few holes, then place this in the grill on one side and let it sit there with the bird - it'll give ya that nice smoked flavor. For chicken, I like pecan or applewood.

And beer can chicken is one tasty bird! yum yum!

BikerBabe
11-26-2005, 07:44 PM
We always use the rotisserie for our birds and smoke them too, but this sounds awesome! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks all!