PDA

View Full Version : New bike. SE slipons only or air cleaner as well?

Knight
10-03-2004, 08:01 AM
HI. I have just bought a 05 Heritage Softail. Was recommended the SE II Slipons and the dealer said I dont need a new iar cleaner unless I want to install a processor etc; He siad I should only do this if I want more performance. If I just want good sound then its fine to just install the slipons?

Are they correct?

Thanks

junior
10-03-2004, 08:53 AM
hey knight- welcome....

you'll hear different opinions on this, but imho- slip-ons alone don't necessarily warrant a reflash. i quantify this as riding conditions and rider style have some input as well. try it out and see if you have an issue...

j

Knight
10-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi Junior.

Thanks for the confirmation.

At least the dealer was honest as I dont think I need more power or speed. I havent ridden a bike for a few years now so I think the Heritage will be fine. Hopefully I will take delivery by the end of the week.

It is just starting summer here in South Africa and we have some of the finest weather around. Lots of blue skies.. long winding roads and great country places to visit

wreckerman
10-03-2004, 01:50 PM
knight in my past experence, i found that the bike come from the factory running lean for "epa" and inless they rejet or reflash the bike it will snort every time you ride it the performance mufflers will only agervate the situwation, if it were me i would go with the air box and the flash/rejet at the same time as the mufflers it will make a huge differnce in the way the bike runs

Knight
10-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Thanks. It is fuel injected.
Does that make a difference?
Does flash mean they must install something besides the air cleaner?

arthureld
10-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Knight, Welcome to HCG! I'm not the most knowledgeable around here but I have been paying attention to this. When you make changes to the intake and exhaust on a fuel injected Harley, you have to have the chip reprogrammed that controls the fuel injection and timing. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Hope this helps,
Arthur Eld

wreckerman
10-03-2004, 05:11 PM
knight flash is a turm used to remap the comutor , if you had a carb this is not needed , on carb moldels they just rejet the carb , on a side note you might want to install a pc III instead of the flash it well save you money in the long run and well alow you to be able to adjust your mapping on your own in the future

Wide
10-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi knight

Just wanted to welcome you to the forums.

The boys have you covered :D