PDA

View Full Version : New Shovelhead owner here! Looking for advice.

surferjoe
12-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Hello all! I just picked up my first Harley. 1977 Shovelhead. It seems to run ok but I will probably take it down to the Harley dealer this week and have a tune-up once over done on it. It needs a starter switch replacement. Right now you have to cross a screwdriver on it. :wacko:

It has a little trouble holding idle. May be needing just a slight carb adjustment.

I know bikes a little but new to old Harley's. Mainly I will just be cruising this guy around the city on short trips. (San Francisco)

I am looking for any advice on regular maintenance and things to look out for. I know this one will need routine maintenance but that's ok with me. I like a little dirt here and there.

I also want to bring the pipes down on the noise. We just had a little girl and I dont need to wake her up everytime I go for a spin. ^_^

Was hoping to find a baffel kit or so that can bring it to a low rumble. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Wide
12-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Hey Surfer

Congratulations on the girl :D

You can quiet it down with a set of baffles if you have strait pipes, this will also effect the carb tuning so I reccomend doing it all at once.

As far as service I would grab the Harley Manual, it cant be beat, that will have everyting you need & were always here for questions.

:D

surferjoe
12-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey Surfer

Congratulations on the girl :D

You can quiet it down with a set of baffles if you have strait pipes, this will also effect the carb tuning so I reccomend doing it all at once.

As far as service I would grab the Harley Manual, it cant be beat, that will have everyting you need & were always here for questions.

:D

Cool! Thanks. Looking forward to years of fun with it! I will be bringing it to Spain when we move next year so I better get to know the bike now. heheheh

resection3d
12-13-2005, 05:04 PM
You may end up taking to an independent shop. Some Harley dealers will not work on shovels any more. If you do find one, chances are they will only work on it in the winter when business is slow. Finding mechanics that know what they are doing and finding parts is becoming difficult also.

Shovels like SAE 50 or 60 oil.

surferjoe
12-13-2005, 05:07 PM
You may end up taking to an independent shop. Some Harley dealers will not work on shovels any more. If you do find one, chances are they will only work on it in the winter when business is slow. Finding mechanics that know what they are doing and finding parts is becoming difficult also.

Noted. I am hoping they can look at it, but I know of a few other repair shops in the area if not.

whoof
12-13-2005, 08:09 PM
haven't been in the bay area for over 20 years, these were good shops then and are still in operation, if Chino's can get you in go there

Chino's MC -
2040 Warm Springs Ct. #1
Fremont, CA 94538 - (510) 651-0873.

HARRY'S HD CYCLE REPAIR
420 MARIN ST
VALLEJO, CA 94590 - 6039

surferjoe
12-13-2005, 08:10 PM
haven't been in the bay area for over 20 years, these were good shops then and are still in operation

Chino's MC -
2040 Warm Springs Ct. #1
Fremont, CA 94538 - (510) 651-0873.

HARRY'S HD CYCLE REPAIR
420 MARIN ST
VALLEJO, CA 94590 - 6039

Thanks. I'll check them out...

lioutofplace
12-14-2005, 12:41 AM

Welcome, I ran into the same problem with my Pan, not everybody works on em. I did the same thing as it sounds like your doing, I took it to a shop to get a base line and then its been doing a little here and there. Get yourself a good manual and enjoy.

The guys here are top notch.

surferjoe
12-14-2005, 12:44 AM

Welcome, I ran into the same problem with my Pan, not everybody works on em. I did the same thing as it sounds like your doing, I took it to a shop to get a base line and then its been doing a little here and there. Get yourself a good manual and enjoy.

The guys here are top notch.

Good advice. Any paticular manual I should get? Original or other?

resection3d
12-14-2005, 12:54 AM

I'd probably pick both if I had the chance. Murphy's Law sez if you don't, you'll wish you did, and if you do, you wouldn't have needed to.

Kagan
12-14-2005, 01:03 AM

Sad, but true.

Stoney
12-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Get yourself a Harley Davidson parts manual & a service manual,the two go hand in hand when doing your own repairs.

RANCHHAND
12-14-2005, 01:19 AM
[quote="lioutofplace"

I took it to a shop to get a base line

Thats what I just did with my 81 I got last month. These bikes make a lot of noises, some normal, some not.

lioutofplace
12-14-2005, 10:17 AM

I'd probably pick both if I had the chance. Murphy's Law sez if you don't, you'll wish you did, and if you do, you wouldn't have needed to.

I like to collect Manuals and tech writing so I actually have two, plus a parts referance guild. Kramer sells a good manual, easy to read and for guys like me lots of photos.

Kagan
12-14-2005, 01:03 PM
I bought "The Iron Horse, Video Service and Repair Manual, Volume 1" from Custom Chrome. I forget what I paid for it, but it has come in handy more than a few times. It covers all basic and tune-up maintenance from '48 to '84.

NY90
12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
I know bikes a little but new to old Harley's. Mainly I will just be cruising this guy around the city on short trips. (San Francisco)

I am looking for any advice on regular maintenance and things to look out for. I know this one will need routine maintenance but that's ok with me. I like a little dirt here and there.
Thanks again!

Firstly, welcome.
May I suggest that riding in San Fransisco, you make sure the brakes are top notch. ^_^

surferjoe
12-14-2005, 04:10 PM
I bought "The Iron Horse, Video Service and Repair Manual, Volume 1" from Custom Chrome. I forget what I paid for it, but it has come in handy more than a few times. It covers all basic and tune-up maintenance from '48 to '84.

That looks good. I'll check that out as well.

surferjoe
12-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Thanks again!

Firstly, welcome.
May I suggest that riding in San Fransisco, you make sure the brakes are up top notch. ^_^

O Yes. That is a must. I actually live near the ballpark in the industrial side of SF so it's the perfect place to get used to my ride. No cars, empty streets most of the time. The ship docks. B)

lioutofplace
12-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Sorry I got the name on the Manual wrong it's Clymer

skeezix
01-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Welcome to HCG ! Also, welcome to the world of the shovelhead :-) Awesome old bikes, you cant beat em for reliable in my books. Keep the oil clean, dont beat the snot out of her and she will love you for years to come.

Here's a little tip I have picked up over the years of being a shovel owner. Go over her with a rag to clean her up once in awhile and you will find every loose bolt and nut from the shakin'. I have done this for years and I always find a loose nut or 2 (the one driving doesn't count :P)

Msg me anytime bud about the shovel, and the wealth of info from the guys here is amazing.

Skeezix