PDA

View Full Version : A rattle in the Reinhart's

gliderider94
10-06-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm posting this only for infor to all of those of you who may have a set of those cool new Reinhart exhaust pipes.

My new Reinharts developed a very loud rattle in one of the mufflers not long ago. It sounded like a loose baffle, so I ripped it apart and this is what I found.

The baffle is held in by that cool little black annodized spun alluminum tail piece. But, man what a bitch to get out. The tail pieces must be pressed in somehow as the only way I could get it out was to bang on it with a rawhide hammer, alternating sides until it finally worked it's way out. I discovered that the tail piece has a flange into which the end of the baffle fits and is then held in place by a single set screw. Now, after putting the tail piece back into the outer muffler housing, the set screw is "trapped" so to speak by the baffle on the inside and the outer muffler housing on the outside. So, there is NO WAY for the screw to fall out, even if it comes loose. The only explaination is that the installation of the screw must have somehow been missed at the factory.

Anyway, if any of you have a similar problem, it's an easy fix. Just pull the tail piece and put in a new setscrew.

Only problem now is, since the baffles are so easy to pull out, I am having a hard time resisting the temptation to yank them out and do a little drilling on those bad boys to open them up and give them a little extra roar. I do like the way they sound though, and I probably shouldn't fool with them.

wreckerman
10-06-2004, 09:17 PM
gliderider thanks for sharing that tip with us , also you might not want to mod that muffler could cost you performance and they are not cheap , they are also one of the best performance pipes on the market AS IS so think twice before you slice B)