PDA

View Full Version : Symantec Anti-Virus Products Have Serious Security Flaw

Wide
12-27-2005, 05:07 PM
http://www.snpx.com/cgi-bin/news55.cgi?target=122467613?-2622

Users turn to antivirus products in order to be safe from the actions of viruses, worms and other types of malware. By definition, that is what such a product should do. But sometimes, the protector may become a victim, and that makes Symantec one of the biggest victims ever.
Thus, a security researched by the name of Alex Wheeler has recently discovered that the whole line of Symantec antivirus programs contains a vulnerability that can be used by hackers in order to gain access to a person’s computer.
According to Gregg Keizer for TechWeb News, The vulnerability can be found in the mechanism used by Symantec's AntiVirus Library, part of all the security giant's anti-virus products, to handle RAR compressed files. RAR files are created by the WinRAR compression utility, developed and sold by RarLab.
The bug, labeled as "Highly critical" by Danish vulnerability tracker Secunia and "High" by Symantec itself, can cause a heap overflow, which then may let an attacker execute additional code, thus turning the system’s controls over to him/her.
The security breach affects all of Symantec's Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus products, including AntiVirus for the Macintosh, as well as other products which include the Library. Those include such enterprise-specific lines as AntiVirus Corporate Edition, Brightmail Anti-Spam, Client Security, and Gateway Security.
Symantec has not issued a patch for the vulnerability, but the DeepSight alert recommended that users disable scanning for RAR archive files.

freakin

D.N.F.
12-27-2005, 05:42 PM
I have always heard (warning urban legend alert) that it is the anti-virus companies that are making the viruses.

sinister and evil perhaps yes?

dr evil

phinney5350
12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Symantec's AntiVirus is a computer hog. If you have Comcast Internet-try using the FREE McAfee Anti Virus or maybe go on line & use AVG, which is Free to anyone & works well! Good Luck

Denny
12-29-2005, 06:07 PM
I have always heard (warning urban legend alert) that it is the anti-virus companies that are making the viruses.

sinister and evil perhaps yes?

dr evil
I agree with you I have never used an anti virus in 20 some odd years and have never had a problem. Just don't download from some one I do not know. It slows your computer also.
Thanks Wide good Info.