PDA

View Full Version : knucklehead 1942

IRARICKY
12-27-2005, 09:26 PM
hello; i found a 1942 knucklehead with sidecar the engine 42 fl, the motorcycle with sidecar use transmission with reverse? this motorcycle no has reverse, this bike is sidecar factory or is added? thank you.

lioutofplace
12-28-2005, 02:12 PM
hello; i found a 1942 knucklehead with sidecar the engine 42 fl, the motorcycle with sidecar use transmission with reverse? this motorcycle no has reverse, this bike is sidecar factory or is added? thank you.

I'd like to be the first to welcome you, sounds like you got quiet a find, I'm not the guy, but there will be others along who can give you the ins and outs on just about anything. Good luck

panz4ever
12-28-2005, 07:11 PM
There are a couple of types of transmissions for your bike. Type 1 was a 4 speed used on, among other things 1940-64 models. Type 4 was a 3 speed and 3 speed w/ reverse used on 1939-64 models.

The shift gate/pattern on 4 speeds, front to back, is 1-N-2-3-4

The shift pattern on 3 speeds is, front to back, R-1-N-2-3 or 1-N-2-3 depending whetehr or not a reverse gear is used.

That should tell you if your scoot is set up properly for the sidecar. Also, is the sidecar stamped on the frame. I helped a good friend restore a 48 with a sidecar a few years back. His frame was stamped, so I would assume yours would be too.

And, welcome to the site. This is great place with a lot of friendly folks.