PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Spigot on Fermentor

Mungo
01-08-2006, 01:56 AM
I've just brewed my first batch and poured the mixture into the 5 gallon fermentor and the darn spigot is leaking. It doesn't screw in, so I can tighten it.

Any suggestions?

I'd hate to have 5 gallons of this mixture go to waste!

88FLHTC
01-08-2006, 03:34 AM
Sorry buddy.I haven't got my first kit up and running yet.. :(

But I can bump this up for ya !! B)

Mungo
01-08-2006, 03:38 AM
Thanks!

Well, it looks as if the mixture has gummed up a bit and clogged the leak. Just hope it holds up when it starts fermenting good. :)

I don't know if the wife will allow me to keep it on the counter hanging over the kitchen sink for too much longer.

Rusty
01-08-2006, 02:24 PM
What type of ferminter is it? What all did you get in your new kit?

Slice
01-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Mungo,

I bought the kit with the two plastic pails. I only use the spigot pail when bottling.

Really, you might want to consider buying a glass carboy for fermenting in. I much prefer them to the pails. I get 6 gallon carboys so they have room in them for the fermentation gunck that develops.

Carboy, stopper, and airlock for around 35 bux.....

Actually, buy two of them. Use one for seconday fermentation while fermenting the next batch. bottomsup bottomsup

Rusty
01-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Mungo,

I bought the kit with the two plastic pails. I only use the spigot pail when bottling.

Really, you might want to consider buying a glass carboy for fermenting in. I much prefer them to the pails. I get 6 gallon carboys so they have room in them for the fermentation gunck that develops.

Carboy, stopper, and airlock for around 35 bux.....

Actually, buy two of them. Use one for seconday fermentation while fermenting the next batch. bottomsup bottomsup

Ditto....

Mungo
01-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Damn - I didn't know I could ferment in the carboy! I have one of those. I was going to use it for a secondary fermenting process. That's definatley an option next go around.

Rusty - the kit came with the spigot pail, bottle washer, bottle capper (hand held, not a stand), Hydrometer, bottling attachment and a small rubber hose. It was roughly $50.

Then I got 24 bottle (I have a kegerator, so I don't drink much beer out of cans or bottles). Then I had to buy caps and of course the malt extract.

Oh and I had to buy a stainless steel pot. I knew my wife would freak if I brewed beer in her pots. B)

But I have another spigot pail and a carboy that my old boss gave me when he moved.

But the leak seemed to have sealed itself. I have it sitting in an old roasting pan just in case.

Rusty
01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Damn - I didn't know I could ferment in the carboy! I have one of those. I was going to use it for a secondary fermenting process. That's definatley an option next go around.

Rusty - the kit came with the spigot pail, bottle washer, bottle capper (hand held, not a stand), Hydrometer, bottling attachment and a small rubber hose. It was roughly $50.

Then I got 24 bottle (I have a kegerator, so I don't drink much beer out of cans or bottles). Then I had to buy caps and of course the malt extract.

Oh and I had to buy a stainless steel pot. I knew my wife would freak if I brewed beer in her pots. B)

But I have another spigot pail and a carboy that my old boss gave me when he moved.

But the leak seemed to have sealed itself. I have it sitting in an old roasting pan just in case.

I'm glad you got it worked out. Take some pic's if you can. I'd love to see them. I'm getting ready to brew a beer for an upcoming compitition that our brew club is having in March. It will be an Americanized version of Fat Tire Ale.......

HeadDoc
01-09-2006, 01:43 PM

mungo fermenting in glass is preferred. it is a lot of fun to watch the primary fermentation in full tilt. caution if your carboy is 5 gallons it will overflow with blowoff, possibly get blocked and shoot the stopper out like a 357 mag. all over the rof, walls floor, etc, (don't ask ;) ) so get a 6.5 or 7 gal carboy for the primary and use the 5 gals for the secondary. or brew smaller batches (not)

88FLHTC
02-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey, I gotta bump this up to ask.
Do I need to do a secondary ? I boiled the wort, racked it to the glass carboy for 14 days, then moved it into the priming pail after the fermentation stopped, added the sugar, then straight into bottles for two more weeks..
:unsure: Did I miss a step somewhere ?

Rusty
02-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Hey, I gotta bump this up to ask.
Do I need to do a secondary ? I boiled the wort, racked it to the glass carboy for 14 days, then moved it into the priming pail after the fermentation stopped, added the sugar, then straight into bottles for two more weeks..
:unsure: Did I miss a step somewhere ?

Mope, your fine. A secondary only helps to clear your beer. You would do this after the primary and before bottling.