PDA

View Full Version : NEW BRAKE PADS ON BACK HELP

springer
01-13-2006, 12:04 PM
DUMB QUESTION 77 SHOVEL HEAD REAR END,NEW PADS BRAKES SUCK!
CALIPER CLOSER TO THE REAR WIDER AT FRONT OF CALIPER IS THIS NORMAL OR SHOULD IT BE AN EVER GAP FROM FRONT TO BACK OF CALIPER , THANKS FOR ANY HELP, SPRINGER

Bigshovel
01-13-2006, 08:09 PM
No such thing as a dumb question when it comes to brakes :D Yes, it should be even. Make sure everything is CLEAN. You should ave no rust on the piston (8A). The boot should be serviceable (10). Lube the bushings (17 & 18) with a LIGHT coat of never seize. Make sure the two pins (6) are clean, not rusted and I put a light coat of automotive grade disc brake pad lube on them, a LIGHT coat. Don't forget to flush the entire system when you bleed the brakes. Do it until you get nice pretty fluid out of the bleeder. :) If you still have problems then you may need to check that the mounting bracket isn't tweaked, it can be straightened if necessary.

rwpatton
01-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Springer

Are the two halfs of the caliper mating together flush.

Banana calipers like to wear the the mounting pin bushing that will cause the caliper to bind when applied. Affecting braking force. They also are prone wearing the pad mounting pin holes oblong causing pads to bind.

Let us know how she goes.

RW

springer
01-14-2006, 02:55 AM
thanks to you both, I put on new pads, but as i tighten the bolts to bring the calipers , together they snug but are too close or closer at the rear, i crossed tighten but the still pull up uneven, guess ill try a complet kit, not just pads , thanks for the input ,

rwpatton
01-14-2006, 05:42 AM
Springer sounds like a pad retaining pin is not seated in its hole properly. They can be a bitch. try seperating the caliper again and aligning the pad pins. Both halfs should mate together flush with hand pressure before bolting it together. Might have to jiggle the pads to make the halfs flush up.DO this before attempting to mount the caliper on the rotor. After confirming that the caliper will mate together properly. retry mounting the caliper on the rotor. Might take a couple of trys pushing the pads up and down with a screwdriver while squeezing the halfs together. A second set of hands helping align the main mounting pin while you jack with the pad alignment may be helpful. Make sure the caliper piston is pushed all the way in to it's fully retracted position.

FWIW

RW