PDA

View Full Version : monitor....

jazda
01-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Here's one for ya...... I've been using a Compaq presario monitor for about 10 years..... it sometimes blacks out on me for a second or two....... used to do it with the original Compaq tower after about 7 years and it's doing it now with the Dell tower I've had for a year now....... any idea whats going on with this?? I know it's not the tower or the graphic ...... just wonderin' if the monitor is struggling to keep alive....... also it soesn't matter if I'm on the Internet or usin' software........thanks for any help......
B)

Shorty
01-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Might need to replace your video card. The only way I know how to determine which one it is, is to hook your computer to a different monitor and see if its still happening, then its the card.

jazda
01-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Replaced the video card in the old computer as it wouldn't get out of the huge 16 bit deal...... but it still blacked out...... now with new Dell it still blacks out.... thought it might be the monitor...... has done it four times in two hours now...... thanks for your help Shorty!!
B)

D.N.F.
01-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Monitor.

Sell it now or give it to some poor kid for a six pack. It is worth squat.

Monitors are dirt cheap these days. Especially if you don't want a skinny flat screen type.

Newer monitors are better on your eyes these days to.

I sold mine when it was flickering and it lasted another six months. Count yourself lucky.

:)

jazda
01-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Monitor.

Sell it now or give it to some poor kid for a six pack. It is worth squat.

Monitors are dirt cheap these days. Especially if you don't want a skinny flat screen type.

Newer monitors are better on your eyes these days to.

I sold mine when it was flickering and it lasted another six months. Count yourself lucky.

:)

Dokey Okey...... fair warning,,,,,, will check out some newer models soon.... thanks :)
B)

Mungo
01-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey Jazda,

Yeah, it sounds like the power supply to the monitor is finally giving out. I've experienced both.

If you monitor has a light on it that changes colors when it enters sleep mode, look at it the next time it does it. If it changes colors as if it's going to sleep, then it's your graphics/video card. If not, then it's most likely the puwer supply in the monitor.

I had one do that to me at work. It would black out for about 15-30 seconds. It finally went out, made a sizzle and started to smoke. Just make sure you turn it off if you leave it unattended.

These guys out here have you taken care of, the only real reason I posted it to warn you it may become hazzardous.

Buster
01-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Jazda

I know this probably won't help you but sometimes the simple things are what cures the problem. Check your power cord. Make sure it is plugged in good to the monitor and the tower. I was having similar problems. Realized that I had not put the cord in good enough the last time I did some repairs on the tower.

Calli
01-21-2006, 04:03 AM
what about if it starts to flicker Pink? ( no, I am NOT joking! lol) Mine ges completley pink for a few seconds, then goes back 'normal'....

( it is fairly new)

jazda
01-21-2006, 05:24 AM
Hey Jazda,

Yeah, it sounds like the power supply to the monitor is finally giving out. I've experienced both.

If you monitor has a light on it that changes colors when it enters sleep mode, look at it the next time it does it. If it changes colors as if it's going to sleep, then it's your graphics/video card. If not, then it's most likely the puwer supply in the monitor.

I had one do that to me at work. It would black out for about 15-30 seconds. It finally went out, made a sizzle and started to smoke. Just make sure you turn it off if you leave it unattended.

These guys out here have you taken care of, the only real reason I posted it to warn you it may become hazzardous.

Mungo..... thanks for the warning.... I usually leave the monitor on when I shut the system down.... good grief...... I'll be shuttin' it off from now on or till I get a new one.... ahhh a new monitor....
B)

jazda
01-21-2006, 05:27 AM
Jazda

I know this probably won't help you but sometimes the simple things are what cures the problem. Check your power cord. Make sure it is plugged in good to the monitor and the tower. I was having similar problems. Realized that I had not put the cord in good enough the last time I did some repairs on the tower.

Busterz....... I did check that out an all is ok with the connections.... thanks for your help man..... sometimes it's the simplest of things we tend to overlook......
B)

Mungo
01-21-2006, 12:31 PM
what about if it starts to flicker Pink? ( no, I am NOT joking! lol) Mine ges completley pink for a few seconds, then goes back 'normal'....

( it is fairly new)

Pink? Never heard that one.

I'd swap that one out with another computer for a day or two. Although it does sound like more of a monitor problem.

jazda
02-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Update on my monitor....
just bought a new Starlogic - 19" - Flatpanel ($269.00) an set it up this mornin' ........ goodness it's such a large screen...... but nice.... an I won't tell ya that I forgot to turn on the computer an couldn't get anything on the screen but 'Signal not found' .... :lol: :lol: ... duh...... took me a minuet to realize the computer goes on then the monitor..... kinda like 'pants first then shoes' ..... :lol: :lol: .... nice color and has it's own speakers but I'm also using the old ones too........ old Compaq monitor will be given away to nephew's friend...... I'm happy now.......
B)

johnnyb57
02-20-2006, 07:06 PM
with the way prices have been coming down on things after it starts showing sign of trouble just buy a new one and that for the most part usually does the trick..its not like it once was where you'd spend hours tryin to fix the problem..i find when you buy a new system you get 2 trouble free years then all the shit starts with one problem after another (starts with little bugs and just goes from there)until you end up buying a new system anyway..and if you talk to a teck most computers are only designed to last 4-5 years in the first place..

Shorty
02-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Dang, 19"?? Wow. I have 17 on my laptop and its wonderful. Glad youre back to running smoothly jazda.

Ezlivn
02-20-2006, 07:35 PM

( it is fairly new)

Must be a girly monitor :P

jazda
02-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Dang, 19"?? Wow. I have 17 on my laptop and its wonderful. Glad youre back to running smoothly jazda.

Thought about gettin' a laptop but not takin' time to compare what is out there I just went with a monitor.... would you share any ideas about laptops Shorty.... which one did you get an why......thanks
B)

hf155
02-21-2006, 03:24 AM
laptops are great, but costly if you need repairs after warranty. I would recommend getting one with the best warranty possible.
Most repair shops charge more for laptop repair than PC, and they don't hold up nearly as long as a PC. It's also usually hard to find certified local shops that repeir them, and people end up shipping them out for repairs
Some people may have laptops that last them forever, but they are in the minority believe me.
I've had a few, and when I get another, I will get the model that is the least expensive, entry level pricing, with the best warranty-repair policy.

Denny
02-21-2006, 03:36 AM
laptops are great, but costly if you need repairs after warranty. I would recommend getting one with the best warranty possible.
Most repair shops charge more for laptop repair than PC, and they don't hold up nearly as long as a PC. It's also usually hard to find certified local shops that repeir them, and people end up shipping them out for repairs
Some people may have laptops that last them forever, but they are in the minority believe me.
I've had a few, and when I get another, I will get the model that is the least expensive, entry level pricing, with the best warranty-repair policy.

I agree i've gone through 3 of them 2 from opening and closing there is a ribbon cable from screen to mother board that always drys and cracks.
I'm stickin with a regular pc for now.

Calli
02-21-2006, 04:21 AM
Must be a girly monitor uh, Ez...... maybe cuz I AM???

Actually, I had it looked at, they said it is a 'minor glitch' & 'not to worry about it, as monitors are easily replaced...' :huh: Asked if They were buyin', but he just smiled at me.... Least he didn't Charge me...