PDA

View Full Version : Skeezix charging system.... revisited

skeezix
01-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Hey gang :-)

After spending lots of greenbacks on a new charging system, primary chain and a few other goodies I was itching to start my bike up today. The sun was shining off the snow and I think it warmed up to around 5 or 6 degrees celsius. Anyway, I had to boost the old girl with the car cuz the 60wt oil isnt exactly thin at those temps :). So just for fun I hooked up the amp meter to see what I am charging. I have a not bad charge of 13.80 or so at a higher rpm, but at idle i get around 12.60 or so. I am guessing its the battery because it is rather old and has been charged over and over again because of my recent charging problems. Any feedback ?

Nice to be posting here and there again by the way :D

Skeez

rwpatton
01-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey Skeez. Sounds like your system is working OK. If you are getting 13.8 above idle your good to go. Are you having battery problems?

RW

skeezix
01-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I think the battery is hosed for sure. It wont turn over worth a darn from a cold engine (remember, a cold engine for me right now is like -10 celsius:)).

Any hints on a good brand battery ?

Skeez

Wide
01-28-2006, 09:11 PM
The harley gell batterys are sweet or you can use those big boar ones also

wreckerman
01-29-2006, 12:06 PM
sounds like the chargeing system is working fine , i would stay with a harley battery "have had great luck with them" but there are other good ones out there , the only one i dont like in bikes is the die hard from sears , too short of life from them in the past ..also if you plan to start that bike in the cold you should think about running thinner oil or a multi blend like 20/50 will let it spin faster with less draw on the starter and battery

skeezix
01-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Thx guys, I was going to go a gel filled battery but I dont really know if they are worth the extra money. I have had good luck with HD batteries myself. But I have used just about anything when the $$$ was short :)

Skeez

skeezix
03-17-2006, 02:17 AM
Here's another charging system question for ya's.

I am yet to pick up a new battery for my bike mainly because the weather is still crap and I would't ride anyway. But, we had one nice day and I went to boost her and the "battery charger/booster" made a "click" like a breaker when I went to turn her over.

The charger has a switch on it to make it a booster I guess, it says "70 amp boost". You guys think that "click" did anything to my bikes wiring ? I am sure the problem lies with my battery because of replacing the charging system, but I don't like "clicks" when it involves my bike :)

Thx again, Skeezix