PDA

View Full Version : Replacing RK Custom Stock Bags with Fiberglass Hardbags

FloridaRoadKing
10-14-2004, 08:04 PM
I am new to the forum so hello everyone.

I have an 04 Road King Custom and want to replace the stock leather hard bags with painted hard bags. Has anyone done this? What is a possible cost? Is it a real pain in the a$$?

Thanks for any help you can shed on the topic

:wacko:

wreckerman
10-14-2004, 09:06 PM
frk welcome to the forums, as for switching your bags thats as easy as eating a apple , when you open the bag you will see 2 turn buckle bolts fastening the bags to the brackets , turn them and the bags come right off , as for your getting hard bags that could cost some big bucks , i noticed you had them listed in parts wanted and you said any coler but your bike was some kind of red i belive ..first just to get them painted will cost at least 300.00 by the time you get paint and base coat as well as a clear coat on, then there is the price of the bags , if you can find some take offs , you might get them for around another 300.00 but i thing they will be hard to find , i would try swap meets but by know your into it for 6 bills so i think you are clouse to what they cost new , and you could have the factory coler match them ..i hope this helps a little B)

Fishheads
10-16-2004, 12:06 AM
:lol: Hi welcome to the board........1st. why did you buy a RK Custom lolol but never mind. Hey Bud I have a O4 Rk and I replaced one of my bags due it getting damaged. I would buy them form the dealer they can get the bag painted from the factory. Ok here the up shot to it all, one bag with all the hardware on the bag is around $600.00 plus the instalation kit that hold them on the bike. You will have to also buy the rail that mounts on back & front and bottom that the bags sits on, not sure how you old bags are mounted. If you do buy the Hard bags buy the protective black bar cover for the top lids, they are worth the money & look great. ;) Good Luck drunks

wreckerman
10-16-2004, 12:19 AM
fishheads not posiative but i am fairly sure they use the same hardware as the other bags , if i am thinking stight he has the hard leather bags with the flip top and wants the standerd bag with the top that lefts off, but i will look tomorow to make sure, but you7 are right he will have a tuff time matching paint inless he buys new , house of colers i belive carrys the harley colers but they run a year or so behind before jon doe can get them

FloridaRoadKing
10-16-2004, 01:32 AM
If you could check just to verify that would be great. I think what I will probably end up doing is buying a complete new set of tin from harley with custom paint and hard bags but if I can confirm the mounting hardware is the same that will be one less expense.

Anyone want to buy a complete set of Lava Red Sunglo tins for a Road King Custom?

Tank / Front Fender / Rear Fender / Side Panels.....all mint condition

Thanks again for your help. :D

xpostman
10-16-2004, 10:58 AM
If you haven't bought the bags yet, be sure to check out Websters swap meet. It's the first Sunday of every month. They have a ton of shit.

xpo

wreckerman
10-16-2004, 11:54 AM
depending on the price you want i might be interrested in getting them for spares, e mail me with what you think is fair and we can take it from there..

xxxflhrci
10-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Hardbags will fit on a Custom with no additonal hardware. The Custom just uses the crash bar eliminator kit that is available for all the Touring models.

If you want new factory hardbags, it'll cost you big bucks. I bought a Classic and wanted hardbags. I went to my dealer to buy 'em. I learned that you had to order the lid, bag, lock, latch and every other little piece separately. We started making out an order list. The dealer got to about 1200 bucks and wasn't finished. I stopped him.

Next, I bought a set of bags off of eBay for $430.00. Then, I paid a guy 200 bucks to color match 'em. The paint wasn't a good enough match to suit me. I never used the bags.

Finally, I found a set on eBay in my color that a dealer had left over. I paid $530.00 for those. Sold the first ones for 400 bucks. So I figure I'm into the bags for about nearly 800 bucks.

wreckerman
10-16-2004, 12:07 PM
that is just about what i would suspect, as for the priceing, the swap meet or dealer take offs will be the way to fly , you have to be a pation person when looking for parts like this, also the coler match is also what i would suspect they "hd" use a few steps to make those colers come out the way they do such as a base coat then the paint then the clear so a coler match inless from dealer can be hard to get...

xxxflhrci
10-16-2004, 02:40 PM
I just remembered..................Anybody wanting factory bags to match '04 and '05 bikes, call Lehman Trikes. (I'm sure they are sold outta previous years already.) They take 'em off of bikes that they convert and sell them along with the other take off parts. I know a guy that bought 8 sets from 'em a few years ago. He paid 600 bucks a set.

FastEddie
10-22-2004, 05:59 PM
I did it. You can do it. The hard bags attach with minor adjustment of rear bracket on each side. I have attached a photo of mine. You can order factory painted bags color matched to your bike. The cost is a little over $700 from discounters to around $900 from dealers. Harley offers a complete set painted and it is much cheaper than ordering the parts separately to make up a set of bags. You will have a hard time finding a good set on Ebay in your exact color at price that makes it worthwhile. You will pay a few hundred dollars more for a new set but they will be new and match perfectly. You can sell your RK Custom bags on Ebay and probabley get $400-$500 for them depending on the condition, so you will only be in the new bags for $200-$500 depending on where you buy the nw ones and how much you get for your old bags.

RKCustom_TX
10-26-2004, 05:16 AM
fasteddie,

looking good there !!! What kind of seat you got on there??

also the bars...>?

johnnyb57
10-26-2004, 12:38 PM
nice ride you got there ed, one question i've noticed that youlike alot ofothers take off the passengers boards and replace with pegs?? is there a specific reason for this or just preference...

budking
10-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Nice ride! I have the same bike! Same pipes...end caps, etc. I have to say I lock my stock bags but I do like your passing lamps w. signals and horns. Where did you get them? Do you have part numbers?

Budking

FastEddie
10-28-2004, 06:38 PM
The seat is a Corbin Hollywood Solo designed for the Road King Custom. It has a cool mounting system that uses a key and spring release instead of mounting screw. It comfortable for me; may be too hard for some. The bars are Wild One Chubby Road King II; I like them a lot but am considering trying Beach Bars; mainly for looks. If they aren't comfortable or restrict manueverability too much I will switch back.

Passing Lamps are Harley Part No 68227-04 and 68450-04 bulbs (pages 397 and 395 in 05 Accessory Catalog). I like the stock bags but like the look of the hard bags too. I have both so I can switch when the mood strikes.

The Road King Custom comes with foot pegs and not floorboards for the passenger. I only replaced the stock pegs with a design the is compatable with the Stealth floorboards and grips I installed.

RKCustom_TX
11-10-2004, 12:11 AM
eddie,
nice mods... i think i'm going for a corbin solo as well...is the difference b/w the hollywood and classic is just the chrome studs? Does the seat move back a little? also would you say its higher or lower than the stock??

I wonder how your bike would look with wild1 apes on it 16" or 18"?

anyone has a pic of a RK custom with 16"/18" apes??

Thanks

FastEddie
11-10-2004, 04:44 PM
The Hollywood Solo is different. The Classic is 13.5" wide, 18" long, and has a seat height of 28" on a stock Road King Custom. The Hollywood Solo is 11.5" wide, 19" long and has a seat height of 27.25" on a stock Road King Custom. As you can see the Hollywood Solo is 2" narrower, 1" longer, and sits 3/4" lower. I have a friend with a Classic seat on a FLHR and I personally did not notice any substantial difference in seat comfort, although others may find the Hollywood Solo not as comfortable. My longest ride on it has been only six hours and I felt no discomfort. I have the Hollywood Solo Softail version on my Fatboy and notice no discomfort on it either. They seem hard when you first put them on but they comform to your body contours after about 500-1000 miles. Probably not for everyone, but they work for me. The quality is excellent and they look good. What more could you want? And I have to say that the keyed spring lock for the Road King Custom seat is a great idea. I take my seats off all the time for cleaning and access and it makes removing the seat simple and convenient. The only negative I have noticed, and have seen posts on other forums supporting this, is that there seems to be a larger gap between the seat and the rear fender than with the stock seat. I noticed it at first, but do not now. Also it is one of the few seats designed to fit the chrome console on the Road King Custom gas tank. The seats for other Road King Models work but do not fit as well because the Road King Custom has a different console profile. I don't know what you mean by "Does the seat move back a little?". If you mean do you sit back further I really do not know as I never rode it with the stock seat. I had the HD Brawler Solo seat until I figured out it did not fit properly against the console and got the Corbin.