PDA

View Full Version : Delivery Delayed...Salesman BS ?

whitewalls
10-15-2004, 02:48 AM
Well, after 3 calls to me by the Salesman and a "promised" delivery date of "The Early Part of October" for my '05 RK , I went ahead and plopped down the required grand and I'm still waiting...2 months later and getting quite Pissed off. Now, he says "We talked about the end of October" and I've bought all this s*** thinking I'd have my old ass on the Hog yesterday. I really want the damn thing but I think I hate being lied too even more. Should I pull the grand? Is this USUAL PRACTICE all over with Harley Dealerships? Anyone have any similar experiences and if so, what did YOU do to speed up the delivery, if anything?

Wide
10-15-2004, 03:00 AM
Yes it happens, the assembly line is not perfect & with the bad weather & port of calls all backed up the manafacturing plants have been suffering as of late.
Here at the Los Angeles port we are pretty much stagnent.

Just have to wait it out.

:)

TexasFatBoy
10-15-2004, 04:43 AM
Keep in mind the dealer is giving you his best guess on the day you place the order based on what he hears from the MoCo. As Wide said, the weather, particularly all those hurricanes in the Atlantic and typhoons in the Pacific have screwed up shipping schedules, not to mention any other delays that may have occurred.

Keep the faith! Your old ass will be in the saddle soon, it'll be worth the wait, and you'll probably forget about the wait on the ride home anyway! B)

Oli1200
10-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Yeah this happened to me too. I was told I'd get my bike at the "end of April" of this year. I finally got it a month later. I too was getting impatient and frusterated but I guess that's just how it goes. I got a store credit on the freight charge however.

NY90
10-15-2004, 11:56 AM
As a reseller of custome made goods, I know exactly what it's like to relay what the manufacturer tells me concerning delivery date.
Since I represent them, and I am the face that the consumer sees, I take the brunt of it.

Patience is a virtue since the item you wait for is much more gratifying than the crap I sell.

I do, however, make it up to the client in some way or another. Talk to the dealer to see if some credit for clothing or accsesories are in order,

arthureld
10-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi Whitewalls,
I was origanally told Oct. 1st for my RK. Then when I put money down the salesman told me that that wasn't the actual date. Because the bike wasn't made when I put the money down. That's why I was able to order the exact color and wheel's I wanted. About a month ago they gave me a delivery date of Oct. 28. But it takes about a week to ship to California. So I'm supposed to get my bike in early Nov. I hope there aren't any more delays. I know how you feel. I wanted my bike in Aug. But I'd suggest you don't pull your down payment because if you order one now, you won't get it until Feb. 05. Unless you want to settle for one that is already made. I'm guessing you ordered a standard RK because there are a lot of customs and classics to choose from. I want a Black Pearl with profile laced wheels. I think that is one of the hardest colors to get.
Anyway, good luck.

wreckerman
10-15-2004, 08:43 PM
all the above post are true , it is indeed a pain in the ass to wait , but it is not the dealers fault , so be pation and it will be under you in no time B)

Robustus
10-15-2004, 09:37 PM
A buddy of mine ordered a Wide Glide from the local H.D dealer here in O.C and was told it would be 2 months. After the 2 months passed he contacted the dealer only to find out the bike came in but the salesman sold it to someone else for $1000 over the MSRP he was paying. Needless to say he was pissed. He sent letters to the owner of the dealership and got the salesman fired. He ended up buying it at L.A. HD.

NY90
10-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Robustus,
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I never bought a new bike. When I have ordered or purchased any of my new cars, the dealer writes down the vin # in advance of its arrival.
If your bud had a vin on a contract, then there is a fraud issue.?

blaw
10-16-2004, 02:55 PM
When I ordered my bike a month or so ago I told the salesman that I wanted it delivered in May of next year (winter's on the way here). He said he'd schedule it for April then in anticipation of any delays. Sounds like that was a good plan then.

DaveyJones
10-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Whitewalls,

Last year I went to the HD dealer in June 03 to get a RK. I was told that it would arrive mid July. When October came and it finally arrived, I told them to keep it. I bought a 04 RK off the showroom floor this year. I agree that the dealer doesn't alway know when the bike will get there, but I think that he has an obligation to let you know that it could be five months till you get your bike. In retrospect, the anniversary edition was a fast selling ticket, which the dealer knew and knew that there could be delays. I don't think that there is any excuse for the dealer not telling you exactly what is going on. If you know what the facts are you can make an informed decision. Personally, I don't think much of most HD dealers. I love my Harley but despise the dealer. dafinger

arthureld
10-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Blaw, Welcome to HCG!
So, what did you order?

Robustus
10-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Robustus,
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I never bought a new bike. When I have ordered or purchased any of my new cars, the dealer writes down the vin # in advance of its arrival.
If your bud had a vin on a contract, then there is a fraud issue.?

I would have thought so to. But the salesman saw an opportunity to up his commission.

arthureld
10-17-2004, 07:18 AM
Damn it! You guys are making me nervous. I'm supposed to get my bike in a few weeks. If it's delayed any more I'm going to be pissed. :angry:

TexasFatBoy
10-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Damn it! You guys are making me nervous. I'm supposed to get my bike in a few weeks. If it's delayed any more I'm going to be pissed. :angry:

Since you were asking about storage issues, I called the dealer and he's gonna deliver here so it will here anytime you wanna come ride it! :lol: I'll take good care of her for ya arthureld! :P

arthureld
10-18-2004, 01:30 AM
I still don't know what part of Texas that garage is in. The last time I drove through Texas, it felt more like driving across a whole country. How long is that state anyway about 2000 miles?

TexasFatBoy
10-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Well, I remember the first time I drove in from El Paso I learned that the distance from San Diego to El Paso is the same distance as El Paso to Dallas! :blink2:

The garage is located in Austin, right near the heart of the Hill Country. Read the trip report in Tales of the Road from this weekend and I bet ya won't mind so much! :P

wreckerman
10-18-2004, 10:51 PM
arthureld dont let tfb near your bike , i here he is looking for new tires, so he might grab yours :lol:

TexasFatBoy
10-18-2004, 11:15 PM
arthureld dont let tfb near your bike , i here he is looking for new tires, so he might grab yours :lol:

If I have is new bike in the garage, what need do I have for new tires? :lol:

arthureld
10-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Hey TFB, I don't want you to think I'm just making up excuses, but I checked with Yahoo maps and you are almost 1500 miles from me. So I called the dealer and he assured me my bike will be on time and delivered to Los Angeles. I will pick it up and store it in my garage.
Thanks Anyway :wacko:

BigMick
10-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Well,took me 5 months to get mine. Know what you went through.