PDA

View Full Version : Finally !!!!! brewed my first batch !

88FLHTC
02-05-2006, 03:52 AM
^_^ After working a lot of weekends lately, finally had some time today to brew my first batch !!
Got a malt extract kit from MoreBeer and did a partial boil

I think I did OK, but I've got a few questions though

All the instruction were really straightforward, but after boiling the partial ( 3 glns and ingredients) I put it in the sink with cold water and ice cubes..Dropped to 125 degrees pretty fast, so I put about 1 1/2 glns of ice cold water in the 6 1/2 carboy, then dumped in the wort, checked the temp, and pitched in the WhiteLabs yeast..
Mixed it in well, but what bothers me is I've got some " clumps " of somethin floating around in the wort. They seemed to have appeared when I cooled off the wort in the sink..
Just checked the carboy tonite, it seems to have settled to the bottom, but I've got a good 2-3 inches of sediment at the bottom too..

Is this normal ?

Also, I've got the carboy down in the basement on the workbench. It's pretty much in the dark, but the air temp down there is around 60 degrees..Too cold ? Do I need a heater ??

It's my first baby..so I'm full of questions.. :D

Rusty
02-05-2006, 04:07 AM
^_^ After working a lot of weekends lately, finally had some time today to brew my first batch !!

Congrats.....there is no turning back now.

Got a malt extract kit from MoreBeer and did a partial boil

I think I did OK, but I've got a few questions though

All the instruction were really straightforward, but after boiling the partial ( 3 glns and ingredients) I put it in the sink with cold water and ice cubes..Dropped to 125 degrees pretty fast, so I put about 1 1/2 glns of ice cold water in the 6 1/2 carboy, then dumped in the wort, checked the temp, and pitched in the WhiteLabs yeast..

What was the temp when you pitched the yeast.

Mixed it in well, but what bothers me is I've got some " clumps " of somethin floating around in the wort. They seemed to have appeared when I cooled off the wort in the sink..

Sounds like what is called "Cold Break" Nothing to worry about.....It will settle out and you'll be fine.

Just checked the carboy tonite, it seems to have settled to the bottom, but I've got a good 2-3 inches of sediment at the bottom too..

Is this normal ?

Is your air lock bubbling yet? How many hours since you pitched the yeast? What yeast was it. WLP???

Also, I've got the carboy down in the basement on the workbench. It's pretty much in the dark, but the air temp down there is around 60 degrees..Too cold ? Do I need a heater ??

That depends on how cold it gets down there and what yeast you used. If you used WLP001 it will be fine down to about 55 deg. Much less than that and it will quit working. Not to worry though. Just bring it upstairs for a couple of hours. Just don't let the temp get above 70 deg. F

It's my first baby..so I'm full of questions.. :D

Ask all the questions you want.

You might take a look at this website. It's loaded with info.

http://www.howtobrew.com

Did you take any pic's???????

88FLHTC
02-05-2006, 04:22 AM
B) Thx for the response buddy... drunks

Yup..you're right.I'm already planning out batch # 2 !!

Temp was around 75-80 degrees when I pitched the yeast..I used the WhiteLabs WLP001 liquid..

Thx for letting me know about the " cold break" I just about shit when I looked in the pot and saw that !! :rolleyes:

Nope...nothing happening yet...finished it up about 7 hrs ago.. I'll check again in the AM to see..

So..if it gets too cold, around 55, a few hours upstairs will get the yeast going ? Good to know..

And no..my wife left the damn camera at her sisters house... :( I woulda posted some pics because that " cold break" is awful tough to describe, I'm glad you knew wtf I was tryin to say !! ^_^

Thanks for the advice Rusty !! drunks

88FLHTC
02-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Oh..one more...Is that sediment at the bottom normal ? Should I have strained the wort before I put it in the carboy ?

Rusty
02-05-2006, 04:31 AM
Oh..one more...Is that sediment at the bottom normal ? Should I have strained the wort before I put it in the carboy ?

Your alway going to get sediment. That is one of the reasons why after primary fermintation you siphon the beer off the sediment instead of just pouring it into another container. Spend some of your free time on that how to brew website. John Palmer is a Brewing God...........

88FLHTC
02-05-2006, 04:46 PM

Your alway going to get sediment. That is one of the reasons why after primary fermintation you siphon the beer off the sediment instead of just pouring it into another container. Spend some of your free time on that how to brew website. John Palmer is a Brewing God...........

B) Yea..it's a learning experience all right , thx for the advice ! drunks

88FLHTC
02-08-2006, 04:39 PM
B) 4 days into it, and it's like a snowglobe inside that carboy !! Pretty neat to watch, and I love the smell comin out of that airlock ! :wub: ^_^

Rusty
02-08-2006, 05:14 PM
B) 4 days into it, and it's like a snowglobe inside that carboy !! Pretty neat to watch, and I love the smell comin out of that airlock ! :wub: ^_^

Just wait, it's gets even better in a few weeks........... drunks

88FLHTC
03-02-2006, 01:08 AM
Doh !
Sorry, been away from the forums for a bit..

You're 110% right Rusty. After a few weeks... ^_^ that's some goooood beer !! 1beer :wub: I shoulda done this years ago !! drunks