PDA

View Full Version : Front Turn Signals

Aimhigher
10-15-2004, 02:45 AM
OK wiring gurus I need help. Here's the story; 2003 Fat Boy: In a past message I asked about problems I had with my front turn signals and the answer was grounding out. COrrect, I found a wire that had been pinched and repaied it. Now both turn signal bulbs light, but they are so faint you can't see them. I'm stumped. I changed from the handlebar monuted signals to the signals mounted under the passing lights. they worked fine undtil the wire pinched. I move the wires from the pinching position and then they worked fine. Then I changed from the yellow lenses with white bulbs to the smoke lenses with the yellow bulbs. Is it possible that I was sold the wrong bulbs for the Fat Boy or is my wiring hosed. HELP!!!!!

Wide
10-15-2004, 03:48 AM
We can get to the bottom of this.

If you have a volt meter I would take a voltage reading at the socket.

What is the number on the bulbs?

wreckerman
10-15-2004, 06:13 PM
wide is correct take a voltage reading at the bulb socket it should read full battery voltage , if not you have a wiring problem if not try a differnt bulb and let us know if you need more help

Aimhigher
10-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Ok. I get 12V at the socket however, when the blinker is on it only flashes up to 10V. The bulb number is 1157A. I changed the bulb to the white one and got the same response. I'm frustrated. Help!

Wide
10-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Sounds like you still have a bad ground. or crossed wire somewhere.

Take it one step at a time.

Did you put in a badlands load equlizer for the turn signals?

wreckerman
10-16-2004, 08:03 PM
you had mention that you had a pinched wire, did you get rid of the pinched spot, or just pull it out from being pinched. this might be your first place to look, also you can run a jumper cable to the bulb base and to a good ground if the lite works the right way then you know you have a ground problem

Aimhigher
10-17-2004, 02:02 AM
:D You know one of the things I keep telling my wife is that we need to start a company called POTO (Pointing out the Obvious) because of all the stupid stuff I see happening in this world every day. The fix here was to simply take my own advice. Since I had repaied the pinched wire and had checked all my wires and had power to the socket I should have realized this was a simple fix. Coming home tonight I was stuck intraffic and for some reason (can't imagine why) my gaze was stuck on the car infront of me that had his blinker on. Oh how I wished for a working blinker. Then i noticed that the light was obviously dimmer when the blinker was off than when it was on. I thougt about the bulb I looked at today and focused on the filaments. Of course I must have twisted the wires around when I was mucking around trying to find the short and the contacts were switched. I hurried home and pulled the light apart and found that the socket only went in one way. I installed the bulb again and the same thing then I tried to instal the bulb the other way. I pushed an it wouldn't go in, then i pulled on the wire harness and the contacts reseated in the socket. The bulb went in and guess what--BLINK, BLINK, BLINK. Damn, the bulb was in the wrong way. The obvious thing. I then went to the other side and had the same problem getting the bulb in. Since the bulb went in so easy the other way I figured that was the right way, but no way. Just goes to show you that the easiest way isn't necessarily the right way. I learned a lesson I try to teach others LOOK FOR THE OBVIOUS. I'm not ashamed to say I screwed up, but I did learn a lesson and I figured it out without haveing to take it to the dealer. Thanks to all for the suggestions, you all really helped me with the initial problem of finding the ground problem. POTO. :D

wreckerman
10-17-2004, 10:30 AM
aimhigher , glad to here it all worked out ,and to tell the truth i never would have thought of a bulb in backwords

Wide
10-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Join the club :D

Glad you got it.