PDA

View Full Version : Question on timing a shovelhead

cleandog
10-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Trying to time a shovelhead motor for a buddy. He is running a Dana ingition on a cone shovelhead motor not sure what year the motor is. Do you time off the front cylinder mark or the TDC mark? No manual and the DANA instructions don't say which mark to use.

curley725
10-16-2004, 04:50 PM
HI cleandog

is it a dual or a single fire ign. i can tell you how to do a dual fire off the top of my head. i need the year and you will need a test light. this will be a stattic timing. let me know.

wreckerman
10-16-2004, 04:55 PM
cleandog , this should be all you need to get the job done

cleandog
10-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Ha Curley it is single fire igntion, and got the timing light with dial back. He painted the front timing mark but could not see the mark with it running so that is why I am wondering if it is suppost to be timed off the TDC mark. I put the Crane igniton in my EVO and painted the mark and had no problem seeing the mark when I timed the EVO like Crane instruction said.

curley725
10-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Ive done a lot of single fire danas but im suffering with CRS on single fire wreakerman has a post for you that may clear up your question.im new to computers and i dont know how to open it up to look at it good luck

wreckerman
10-16-2004, 05:09 PM
curley just click on the picture to open it up

cleandog
10-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks Wreckerman, this is different then what I am being told about the marks on the fly wheels. What I've been told there is 3 marks a front cylinder, TDC, rear cylinder marks no advanced mark. So know I will need to do is look at the fly wheel myself and see what he has for marks. I am not sure what year parts went into building this shovel, I'm coming in late to try and stop the ping and get the timing set. I know on the ping this could be caused by alot of other things but trying to rule out timing first.

wreckerman
10-16-2004, 05:34 PM
cleendog if all ealse fails , just start tapping the timeing back a degree or so at a time cant of time it by the seat of your paints , for all you know he could have a set of jap rods in there and they might not be the same on a shovel of that age you have to be flexable you never know how many fingers have been in there before you

cleandog
10-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Ya Wreckman thats what we are doing, we set the timing advanced a little and having him ride the bike and if it pings will retard it or if it don't ping advance it alittle but marking each move to refer back to the last setting. I just want to time this motor to make sure it is right since he will be braking in the motor. The motor is running 10 to 1 compression and suppost to be dual plugged but had to remove the spark plugs on the right side to put compression release in so the starter will turn the motor over.

wreckerman
10-16-2004, 09:29 PM
someone was telling me about some compression release they have out that you can run underneath the spark plug, screw the compresion release in the plug hole then srew the plug into the relise dont remember who he said has them but worth a look as for the timeing you are doing it the way i would under the circumstances and close will be good can retime after break in

rwpatton
10-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Hey y'all

Gott'a go with the seat of the pants timing method. Lots of shovels have their on personality and require different settings. Just don't run it to retarded, makes'em run hot as hell. Wreckers spec sheet is right on.
Most situations I'll 'static time' and adjust from there.

The 'comp. releases' Wrecker is referring to are made by SPYKE/MC ADVANTAGES. I believe they only fit EVOS and 14mm plugs.

RW

cleandog
10-19-2004, 06:07 AM
Thank guys on all the info.

timbuk2
10-27-2004, 06:51 AM
All:

I know when setting mine, I had Hell with those marks. They just didn't seem to jive with the TDC mark. And my trusty shop manual didn't reflect the marks I had on my flywheel. That was a long time ago, so I'm a little fuzzy on it. I do know that the bike wasn't running that well (carbaration), so a rough idle really made it difficult regardless of what I did. I'd love to take a peek at it now that it's running better than the day I drove it home. But I boogered up the inspection hole years back... it was supposed to be fixed when it was rebuilt, but I'm not counting on it.

I've said before that finding TDC I just use a drinking straw in my spark plug hole. Works well for setting pushrods anyway.

Also, I found that using that clear timing plug just doesn't work that well. Just pull the plug and deal with the oil vapor blow. The marks are much more visable. I know it plays Hell with the idle, but if you get it close you can tweak it in with the plug in place.

Good luck CleanDog. Do a good job for your buddy!

wreckerman
10-27-2004, 01:02 PM
thats a good thought , thank you . and i have also timed with the plug out of the timeing hole , and i cant say that i liked it much , now days i get a junk yard marker and cleen the wheels then draw a yellow line "marker" on my marks makes them show up great and usaly will last for years

cleandog
10-27-2004, 05:54 PM
We did the old seat of the pants timing trick, used the clear plug, but with the after market cases we had to use the longer clear plug which you can't see a damn thing. He clean the TDC mark and paint the mark with red auto paint to see easer but no luck. I still think my buddy marked the wrong timing mark because I could see the fly wheel but no mark with turning the timimg light dail up to 60 degs. So for now he's going to ride it and then bring it over and I'll try and time it at my garage.