PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary Brake Light/ Turn Signal Kit (long-winded)

Atch
02-18-2006, 05:07 PM
I have a 98 Dyna, and would like to put the Brake/Turn signal kit on it. Harley Part # 91698-99....Fits 99-01 XL, 96-01 Dyna and Softail models with Dome-Style Lenses.

Here's the problem----This part # is obsolete. Kagan (the parts GOD) was kind enough to look on the Nation-wide parts locater, and gave me 2 possible Dealers that showed they had it. No such luck.
This is supposed to be a plug-in deal, and you just change the lenses.

My question is this----are the later-model Dyna wiring harnesses different? If not, I could buy the kit for the later-model Dyna, and get the lenses I need from J&P.

The other alternative is to buy a Badlands or Biketronics module ( no lenses included) for 120.00 as opposed to the Harley price of 42.00 (and some of us thought Harley prices were high)!!!!!!

Anybody have an idea here?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Atch

wreckerman
02-19-2006, 12:15 AM
atch , i would think that the mod kit would work from one of the other style kit's , just the len's covers would be differnt after all it just plugs between the rear harness and as far as i know all rear wire harness and plug's are the same on the hd , except maybe the ultra with more assoreys

Kagan
02-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Here's some more to consider:

98 FXD Turn signal cancelling module: 68540-96
Quick disconnect 73158-96BK (at the main harness)

99 FXD module: 68540-96
quick disconnect 73156-96BK

It would appear that since both years used the same module, the computer "language" will be the same.

The only thing you'll need to do is pick either the kit connevtor or main harness connector and chop it off. The mating end is available from your dealer. Just tell them (or me ;) )which part number you need the mating end for.

My suggestion would be to leave the main harness intact and mess with the kit wiring. Just ask for the mating end to a 73158-96BK.

:D

squirrel71477
02-20-2006, 04:36 AM
I have a 98 Dyna, and would like to put the Brake/Turn signal kit on it. Harley Part # 91698-99....Fits 99-01 XL, 96-01 Dyna and Softail models with Dome-Style Lenses.

Here's the problem----This part # is obsolete. Kagan (the parts GOD) was kind enough to look on the Nation-wide parts locater, and gave me 2 possible Dealers that showed they had it. No such luck.
This is supposed to be a plug-in deal, and you just change the lenses.

My question is this----are the later-model Dyna wiring harnesses different? If not, I could buy the kit for the later-model Dyna, and get the lenses I need from J&P.

The other alternative is to buy a Badlands or Biketronics module ( no lenses included) for 120.00 as opposed to the Harley price of 42.00 (and some of us thought Harley prices were high)!!!!!!

Anybody have an idea here?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Atch
The kit that went on my 05 FXST Softail fits 96 and up. I would think that MOCO uses a standard wiring harness on all the tail ends of their "similar" bikes. Maybe you could buy the Harley one and see if the pins and connector would match up. Worst case is you just return it if it doesn't work. Or you could always splice it in if you want to?

squirrel71477
02-20-2006, 04:42 AM
I forgot to mention that I have read of people taking trailer wiring units and splicing them in to make a brake/turn signal conversion kit. Just a thought?
Here is a module I found for my father in law to put on his bike, maybe you could use it? http://www.nopork.com/shop_product.asp?id=TRI-STR01006&grp=Lights+%26+Electrical

Atch
02-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I think I found what I want, and will be picking it up when we go to J&P Cycles March 4th. A little more than the Harley unit, and I have to buy the lenses separately, but it will work.

Thanks again!!!!