PDA

View Full Version : Black & Tan

arthureld
03-31-2006, 11:54 PM
I've made a dangerous discovery. I buy half gallon growlers of beer from a local brewery. The brewery is called Black Forest Brew Haus in Farmindale and the beer is called dopplebock (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2669/27637/). Then I mix it with half Smithwick's Irish Ale.
Damn thats good. The only problem is I like it so much I can pound it too fast. The dopplebock is 8% alcohol. :o

coolhawg6622
04-01-2006, 12:37 AM
MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

LostLake and I have had a couple :wacko: of those, only its Guiness and Bass ale. drunks

arthureld
04-01-2006, 04:13 AM
MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

LostLake and I have had a couple :wacko: of those, only its Guiness and Bass ale. drunks

I'm hooked. Guiness and Bass sounds good to me. That's probably a much more common black and tan than my mixture. :D

Rusty
04-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I've made a dangerous discovery. I buy half gallon growlers of beer from a local brewery. The brewery is called Black Forest Brew Haus in Farmindale and the beer is called dopplebock (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2669/27637/). Then I mix it with half Smithwick's Irish Ale.
Damn thats good. The only problem is I like it so much I can pound it too fast. The dopplebock is 8% alcohol. :o

Sounds like a good breakfast........

Hellswraith
04-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I was expecting much worse from the thread title ..

:D

Yum Beer - the breakfast of champions ...

bottomsup

arthureld
04-01-2006, 02:43 PM
I was expecting much worse from the thread title ..

:D

Yum Beer - the breakfast of champions ...

bottomsup

Haha hells I aint got nothin agains ladies of color either. :wub:
And I know you'll stick to your light beer. :huh:

smile2005
06-07-2006, 06:03 PM
The Black and Tans that I've had were Guinness & Harp.

arthureld
06-07-2006, 06:06 PM

Guinness & Bass is the usual black and tan.

Rusty
06-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Guinness & Bass is the usual black and tan.

Bingo...........!!!!

D.N.F.
06-07-2006, 06:15 PM

I don't see what your problem is.

Horse
06-07-2006, 06:20 PM

You Irish is showing :lol: Welcome to the clan.

If your wondering, What is a growler? Growler (http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=what+is+a+growler&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Db d81eca092089ef8%26clickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery% 3Dwhat%2Bis%2Ba%2Bgrowler%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp% 253A%252F%252Fbeeradvocate.com%252Fnews%252Fstorie s_read%252F384%252F%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPIndex%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbeeradvocate.com%2Fnews%2F stories_read%2F384%2F)

Padog
06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
The only black and tan I have is my coonhound but he does like beer too :o

smile2005
06-07-2006, 07:27 PM
I haven't had too many Black & Tans...I prefer drinking Harp or a Strongbow Cider when I visit my fav Irish Pub. But it looks like we're all correct here! Hmmm....and speaking of my fav Irish Pub...I haven't been there since St. Pat's...I think it's time for another visit here soon. Slainte!

Q: What is a Black & Tan? What is a Half-and-Half?

A: The answer depends on who you ask. The all-Guinness Black & Tan is Harp's Lager and Guinness. (Harp's is brewed by Guinness at Dundalk). Many consider the classic Black & Tan to be Bass Pale Ale and Guinness. (To some Irish, they appreciate the fact that the Irish comes out on top!) However, Bass Ale is not as available in Ireland as it used to be, and either Harp or Smithwicks is generally used. However, there are many variations involving a stout or porter and another lighter coloured beer, either lager or ale.

A half-and-half is often just another name for a Black & Tan. However, in many North American Irish pubs, the Bass/Guinness combination is called a Black & Tan, while the Harp/Guinness combination is called a Half-and-Half.

drunks

arthureld
06-07-2006, 08:30 PM
All right, you guys made me thirsty. I'll go to Black Forest for dinner tonight and have some of their new Summer Bock. It's 8% alcohol but it is light colored and I like it by itself. It goes well with seared Ahi. :wub:

smile2005
06-07-2006, 09:28 PM
All right, you guys made me thirsty. I'll go to Black Forest for dinner tonight and have some of their new Summer Bock. It's 8% alcohol but it is light colored and I like it by itself. It goes well with seared Ahi. :wub:
Sounds good to me Art! Enjoy! bottomsup

tradrockrat
06-08-2006, 02:19 AM
I haven't had too many Black & Tans...I prefer drinking Harp or a Strongbow Cider when I visit my fav Irish Pub. But it looks like we're all correct here! Hmmm....and speaking of my fav Irish Pub...I haven't been there since St. Pat's...I think it's time for another visit here soon. Slainte!

A: The answer depends on who you ask. The all-Guinness Black & Tan is Harp's Lager and Guinness. (Harp's is brewed by Guinness at Dundalk). Many consider the classic Black & Tan to be Bass Pale Ale and Guinness. (To some Irish, they appreciate the fact that the Irish comes out on top!) However, Bass Ale is not as available in Ireland as it used to be, and either Harp or Smithwicks is generally used. However, there are many variations involving a stout or porter and another lighter coloured beer, either lager or ale.

A half-and-half is often just another name for a Black & Tan. However, in many North American Irish pubs, the Bass/Guinness combination is called a Black & Tan, while the Harp/Guinness combination is called a Half-and-Half.

drunks

Well, not to piss in your wheaties, but officially a Black and Tan is half Bass and Half guinness. Why? Because Black and Tans were Irish enforcers hired by the british to enforce British rule in Ireland, thus half Irish (Guinness) and half English (bass). They wore uniforms that were - you guessed it - black and tan.

A half and half was half a Irish Stout and half an Irish Lager - Harp to be precise.

A half Guiness and half Cider is called a snakebite.

again this all the "official" version. These days, you'd best just ask the bartender and go along with whatever they say - after all, only an Idiot pisses off a bartender. ;) :lol:

smile2005
06-08-2006, 03:27 AM

drunks

Well, not to **** in your wheaties, but officially a Black and Tan is half Bass and Half guinness. Why? Because Black and Tans were Irish enforcers hired by the british to enforce British rule in Ireland, thus half Irish (Guinness) and half English (bass). They wore uniforms that were - you guessed it - black and tan.

A half and half was half a Irish Stout and half an Irish Lager - Harp to be precise.

A half Guiness and half Cider is called a snakebite.

again this all the "official" version. These days, you'd best just ask the bartender and go along with whatever they say - after all, only an Idiot **** off a bartender. ;) :lol:
Very cool with what you've shared here...thank you! I've learned a bit of Irish History! I went & checked online & this is what they came up with so I did a copy & paste of it to share here. That's it. I'm not arguing the point of who is right or wrong...I had stumbled upon this thread today & found it interesting & thought I would just share my version of a Black & Tan as I've had the few times at an Irish Pub. I'll call a truce here...my version is a Half & Half & a Black & Tan is half Guinness & half Bass.
Sorry if I've offended anyone here. Peace.

tradrockrat
06-08-2006, 05:22 AM
well I hope no one gets offended over a drink thread - I know I didn't. It's all about the fun and taste, right? I'll buy the next round. :D

as a good friend of mine says (shes a bartender at an Irish Pub)' "Call it what you want, just make mine a double!" :lol: :lol:

arthureld
06-08-2006, 08:12 AM
I went to Black Forest Brew Haus again yesterday and had my 4 growlers filled with MaiBock (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2669/9941)
It's a summer bock that is amber colored and is 7.8% alcohol.
Damn I love that place. It would be a great place of a HCG get together, but it's kind of expensive.
My blackened Ahi was killer as well. :D

You Irish is showing :lol: Welcome to the clan.

If your wondering, What is a growler? Growler (http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=what+is+a+growler&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Db d81eca092089ef8%26clickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery% 3Dwhat%2Bis%2Ba%2Bgrowler%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp% 253A%252F%252Fbeeradvocate.com%252Fnews%252Fstorie s_read%252F384%252F%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPIndex%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbeeradvocate.com%2Fnews%2F stories_read%2F384%2F)
Cool stuff Horse.

u2 trad.

smile2005
06-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey Trad...no offense taken...it's all good... ;) So....you're buying the next round? It's Friday & the weekend...I'll take you up on your offer!
Hey Art...glad to hear you had a great time the other evening! Wish you guys would be getting better weather out your way tho - totally sucks!
Have a great day & weekend guys! Later...
Peace