PDA

View Full Version : Big Motor & Sidecar Clutch?

Scrubs
10-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Hey guy's, I will be putting a 95" kit in my 04 Ultra very soon. Also got my heads reworked and along w/ the 510 cam this should really be a nice torque motor when complete.
Question: With the motor and the sidecar how much will this stock clutch handle?
So far I have not felt any clutch slippage or anything w/ the stock motor.

Also, should I be concerned w/ the narrow rear belt on the 04 models?

Jerry

wreckerman
10-28-2004, 12:48 PM
the stock clutch on a harley can handel a great deal , if it wore me i would install the beefer spring on the clutch and put a easy pull on it at the same time, then run it , there are a lot of clutches that are better then stock but i would not upgrade tell the stock one is worn out....and as for the belt , it should hold up just fine...

curley725
10-28-2004, 01:30 PM
wreckerman is right the stock clutch will take just about anything you throw at it. ive seen bikes with sidecars pulling a trailer operate with no problem.

depending on the 95in. kit . the kit with the cams and the whole works comes with the heavier spring plate wreckerman spoke of. when you get t

hat sidecar on there take it easy cause its going to feel all different.
have fun
curley

Wide
10-28-2004, 03:49 PM
When it's time to change I go with kevlar discs & add a extra one for more surface area, have had really good luck with that setup :D

Scrubs
10-28-2004, 07:22 PM
I already have the heavier SE spring in there and also replaced the three piece disc setup for a one piece. Also have this setup in my RK and it seems to hold up real well.

I guess I'm more concerned about the belt than I am the clutch. In previous years HD suggested a heavier belt w/ the use of a sidecar. Now it's the narrow belt and it has the car on it. Run her till she blows I guess!

Jerry

curley725
10-28-2004, 08:21 PM
scrubs

the narrower belt is stronger than the older wider version. better living thru modern chemistry.... B)

curley

Scrubs
10-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Didn't know that, thanks.
Scrubs

stroker23
10-29-2004, 02:32 AM
New to this game, so bear with me. Have an 02 Classic with sidecar and the 95 inch motor. No head work, but new cams. Rode the rig about 15 months to get used to this monster, realizing more power was needed. It works real well. Keep up the revs before shifting, (about 2700-3200) and its a thing of beauty. Running in 4th gear at length I beleive is better than shifting and bogging down the motor. About the belt, I have the wide version. Clutch did get soft in extreme heat, but rarely. Parades and city traffic (OC Maryland) heat it real quick. Just recently installed Barnett's Scorpion Clutch Spring conversion kit. It does have a heavier lever pull, but the gear changes are real quiet and quick. Need more miles to digest this install.

Scrubs
10-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I posted some pictures in my gallery. Don't know if I did it right. I'm sure you guys will straighten me out.

Stroker 23, I see you figured out the lack of power also w/ the car attached. Living in NE Pa., alot of hills & curves and constantly down shifting.
I'm curious, is this your first sidecar? This is mine and I was completely shocked when I took the first ride. Almost disappointed. But after a while (only been on for a month) and a couple of hundred miles it's starting to grow on me.
I will be upgrading the motor this winter. I'm sure that will make the ride even more enjoyable.
Scrubs

stroker23
10-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Scrubs, Yes this is my first sidecar. Disappointing is not how I describe my first experience with the car. Absolute FEAR is my first reaction. I must have cleaned out my shorts 3 times on the way home from the dealer. But it grows on you and every time out you learn more tricks in cornering and other quirks of this kind of rig. Talk to other car owners and trike riders. They can provide you with lots of tricks and tips with this setup. I'm comfortable enough now we vacation in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia pulling a trailer with very little side effects. Just remember one thing: you can't keep up with the big boys during takeoff, but once you're there, it'll run all day at speeds.

Indeed, the most toys win!! Happy motoring