PDA

View Full Version : fork noise (tick)

Dr.Bob
10-29-2004, 11:30 AM
I am hearing a loud 'tick' when I pull on the front brake. I don't think the sound is coming from the brake though as it happens just after I pull on the brake when the forks compress. They are not bottoming out at all. I have noticed the noise at other times when the forks compress, i.e at the bottom of a hill when I am just coming back uphill. I have looked the bike over but cannot find the source. Possibly due to the metal fork gaiters being in the way (Fatboy 04). I have not noticed the steering being affected in any way.
The bike recently had a service and the front pads were replaced at the same time.
Any ideas before I take it back to the dealers?

curley725
10-29-2004, 11:44 AM
good morn. dr bob

if you just had a service and im assuming the neck bearings are adjusted properly. on your lower tripple tree there two pinch bolts see if they are tight and lately ive seen a rash of broken bolts and its easy to miss they are behind your front tin cover right by each lower fork cover.

curley

Dr.Bob
10-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks Curley, I shall take a look at them.
;)

Wide
10-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Hi Bob

Curly has you pretty good on this one.

Just to add, sometimes it's just a little slop in the caliper mounting beign taken up upon braking.

Give it a good looking at at your next service & make sure you have the caliper slides properly lubbed also :D