PDA

View Full Version : My first cast iron skillet

Shorty
04-15-2006, 04:21 AM
Well my first successful one anyways. Ive never gotten the hang of seasoning and cleaning and reseasoning. A month or so ago I read an article by a food critic who always had the same problem as me and yet wanted to cook in cast iron like I did. He purchased a Lodge Logic pan which is seasoned at the factory and he loved it.
I figured what the hell and picked one up. I am in love!! Im going so crazy with this one skillet that Ive made pancakes, apple cake, beef stew, fried chicken, jalapeno cornbread and peach pie! Tonight I made a smoked sausage/cheddar/potato dish and made the whole thing in the pan and put the pan in the oven. Now thats cooking!
Does anyone have any recipes that are really excellent made in cast iron? I dont have a lid so no baking I guess. I can see a dutch oven in my very near future though.

sporty883r
04-15-2006, 04:46 AM
once you have gone black you will never go back. -_- Cast iron flying pans and dutch ovens are great to cook with. I am amazed they are selling preseasoned pans? That makes life alot easier. I use cast iron dutch oven all year long it works great on the gas grill.

Mellisa
04-15-2006, 04:54 AM
Sounds like you've got it down. I used to cook almost everything in my cast iron pots and pans. I need to dig them up again. *hug* Have fun Shorty!

Nowhereman
04-15-2006, 05:00 AM
Shortness,
If I ever get up your way, I'm gonna hope you cook me a few meals.

Nwm bottomsup

Wide
04-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Cook anything in it

All I use is a cast iron pan or a wok to cook & of course the bbq

BikerBabe
04-15-2006, 08:53 PM
I use mine for just about everything and I throw it on the grill as well. I invested in All Clad pots and pans and love those, but nothing like cooking with cast iron. :wub:

wreckerman
04-15-2006, 11:20 PM
just a little foot note for all of you , i have found that when you buy cast iron pans if you take them and put cooking oil in them then heat them up realy good poor the cooking oil out and take some cheese cloth with table salt in it and use that to wipe the pan out then do your cooking after a few times of this the pan will be well seasoned

Shorty
04-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Now, I wouldnt have it any other way! ;)
Thanx everyone.

BikerBabe
04-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Oh Shorty! Try making a deep dish pizza!!! OMG, real yummy!! :P

hf155
04-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Shorty do you have a spare room? :lol:

Shorty
04-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Shorty do you have a spare room?
As a matter of fact yes I do! Theres some spare room left between the sheep and the chickens. You in need of some fattening up?? :lol:

HeadDoc
04-18-2006, 01:37 AM
way to go shorty. lodge is a great quality cast iron. you probably remember some of the recipies i put on here for the dutch ovens. anything you can cook in the house you can cook outside inb the coals with cast iron.

2 rules though -

1. never wash with soap ...only hot water and a scrubby
2. always rub inside and out lightly with shortening before storing. liquid veggie oils tend to get rancid... but shortning doesn't.

enjoy and experiment

cook some french fries and some fried chicken in that badboy a few times and set the seasoning real good. you'll never want chicken, fish or fries that haven't been dropped in the grease of a cast iron ever again.

Ezlivn
04-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Holy chit Batman.......it's just a freakin skillet. :P :P What happens when you really get excited Shorty?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok I'll go back to my corner now...... :huh: :(

Shorty
04-18-2006, 02:13 AM
What happens when you really get excited Shorty??
Nothing thats fit for the ears of a grandfather. Girls didnt do in your generation what we do now in mine. :P

Shorty
04-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Thanx Doc,
I do remember your recipes and Ill check them out, thanx! French fries!! Why havent I thought of french fries yet!! I feel a midnight snack coming on tonight. hehe

Nowhereman
04-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Shorty wrote - A zest for living must include a willingness to die.

Aahh, I'd like to argue that one.
If you love to live, yo don't wanna die. ;)

Nwm bottomsup

Shorty
04-18-2006, 02:17 AM
Its the zest of life that causes one to risk and chance, not the love of life. ;)

Ezlivn
04-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Damn quote button......now i forgot what the hell i was gonna bitch about :huh: :huh:

Had something to do with generations and "doin it". :huh:

Shorty baby.....bring it on.....this Grandpa can take it :D :D

Nowhereman
04-18-2006, 02:22 AM
Hold it a minute little type person.
You mean to tell me that you have to take risks in life to love life?
Maybe for some but it is not a requirement... <_<

Nwm bottomsup

Ezlivn
04-18-2006, 02:24 AM
What the hell does that have to do with a cast iron skillet????? :o

jazda
04-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Loved my cast iron skillets but left them with exboyfriend... recently inherited a set from my cousin Fran..... will have to season them an get to usin' em.... I always use table salt with paper towel to wipe em clean,, never use water or soap..... an store them in a brown paper bag.....
B)

Shorty
04-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Shorty baby.....bring it on.....this Grandpa can take it
lol Thats what all the old men say.....before! :lol:

Shorty
04-18-2006, 05:26 AM
You mean to tell me that you have to take risks in life to love life?
Who said anything about love? Sheesh, aint that a typical man for ya! A girl just wants to have a little zest and right away you gotta bring up the L word. :P

mojophone
08-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Does anyone have any recipes that are really excellent made in cast iron? I dont have a lid so no baking I guess. I can see a dutch oven in my very near future though.
Use a big oven proof plate they work great
[/quote]