PDA

View Full Version : Latest update on HueyJD00

Kagan
04-25-2006, 03:51 AM
I received an email and thought I'd pass it along. I've requested a Sunday when a few of us could ride up to see him. I'll keep you posted. If anyone would like to ride in Saturday, spend the night here and then ride out to see him Sunday that would be cool. Just need to make arrangements so throw some dates out that would work for you.

"Joe has made great improvement over the past month or so. He started speaking last week. It’s just a soft whisper most of the time, but it’s a start. He is smiling and laughing more, which truly warms my heart. He is no longer being fed using the feeding tube. He is able to feed himself 3 pureed meals a day, and has been demanding ice cream every night! He has said that he would prefer a steak and a dark beer, but he’ll settle for ice cream for now. He is still not able to have liquids, but he’s working on it for Oktoberfest. J He is able to walk about 40 feet using a special walker while being assisted by several therapists. He is gaining strength back in his left leg and has been able to do multiple leg lifts on command. He still needs to build up strength in his left ankle and shoulder, but it’s all coming back. We are still battling the insurance company. Last week they wanted him to leave the facility and go home. He typed a letter on the Dynavox requesting more time at the hospital for therapy, his mother hand-wrote it and Joe signed his name. It was faxed to the insurance company. They gave him another week and requested a realistic plan for his remaining in-patient therapy and discharge. After a conference with the team of therapists, nursing staff and his doctor, they are going to request an additional 6-8 weeks. I am currently looking for a handicap-accessible apartment near HealthSouth in Harmarville, where he will be having his out-patient therapy once he comes home. Eventually, I plan on having a home built, once I have a better idea of what Joe’s needs will be long term. I will update you on his address as soon as I have a place picked out.

Joe is checking his e-mail almost daily, so if you want to reach out to him, his e-mail address is: jdoerr00@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Dawn"

Here's my reply:

"So, you're a skinny Huey? Might need to re-think your username. :)

I'm really glad to hear that you're making strides to get back to your former self. I think about you and Dawn all the time. If there are any songs that you'd like me to put onto a CD for you, just ask. If I don't have it I can get it easily. I love music and my hard-drive has about 11,000 songs on it.

A few of the guys have been asking about coming to visit you. I'm working 6-days-a-week now that riding season's here so it would have to be a Sunday. Talk to Dawn and your folks and maybe you could set a day aside for a visit. In fact, gimme some tunes to work on and I'll deliver your disc personally.

I'm considering trading my RoadKing in for an FLHX Street Glide. Heidi's gonna kill me when I tell her but I just think it's a cooler bike... and it has a Harmon-Kardon stereo!

I'll keep in touch and you better do the same. It's strange, I was all gung-ho about the HCG PA Chapter, but after my right-hand man went down, it just doesn't feel the same. I can't wait until you're back in the saddle my friend. The day will come.

Don't forget, I need songs for a personalized CD and a date to deliver it. Don't make me come down there and kick your ass for ignoring me. :D

Love to you, Dawn, and your folks.

You may be gone, but definitely not forgotten.

P.S. I've been posting Dawn's updates on the HCG forums. We're all rooting for you Joe."

:D

BikerBabe
04-25-2006, 04:57 AM
After going through what we did with hubby, and still are, I CANNOT BEGIN TO IMAGINE WHAT HE IS FEELING AND WHAT THAT FAMILY IS GOING THROUGH. We had the same problem with the insurance company wanting to send him home before he was ready too. My heart goes out to them. Please tell them they are in my thoughts and continued prayers.

Wide
04-25-2006, 05:34 AM
Thats so great he's going in the right direction

So many have gone through this & made out great

Cant wait untill he starts postign again :D

Shorty
04-25-2006, 06:16 AM
This is great news! Go Huey!! You are not forgotten here and I look forward to seeing you post again.
Thank you Kagan. :D

Hellswraith
04-25-2006, 09:58 AM
That really is good to hear . I cant imagine how Id handle that if I were in his shoes , I guess the best that he can is the answer . I hope to see him back here posting again sometime soon . Thanks for the update Kagan ..

SportyClaws
04-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Kagan,

Thanks for the update. I'm seeing this after the fact, so I don't know what happened.

Just pass on my thought and prayers for a speedy recovery to his family.

Denny
04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the update Kagan
It's great to hear Huey's on his way back. Take your time, don't give up and keep your chin up.
My thoughts and prayers to his family. and for a speedy recovery to Huey!!

dynaRide
04-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the update Man... This is great news. Damn insurance companies... :angry: I wish I could ride up w/ to visit. Get that man some Black and Tan Ice Cream :)

SportyClaws
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Dyna ~ Just so you know, Ben & Jerry's just came out with a Black & Tan ice cream. It's chocolate & cream stout ice creams topped with a cream stout ice cream head.

Sounds yummy.
[/quote]

sporty883r
04-25-2006, 10:58 PM
ben and jerry's had free ice cream day today :D