PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

SelfAfflicted
05-09-2006, 06:20 AM
& no it's not sposed to leak "Just cause it's a harley" Ok got a leak on the o'l shovel. It seems to be coming from the splines of the primary sprocket shaft. I'm looking at the exploded view of the crankcase in the service manual & i dont see a seal past the sprocket shaft bearing seal. Am I correct in thinking the seal you first see after removing the rotor from the stator is the sprocket shaft bearing seal or is there another seal inside the case ?

Wide
05-09-2006, 06:55 AM
That would be the inner primary seal

It is a very common thing for them to leak

You may slow it down or stop it by running the oil a little below full (as most of us do)

You have to pull the primary off to replace it. One of the caused is a bad bearing but most likely it's just worn out.

Be carefull installing the new one, dont pinch the rubber

Hope this helps :D

SelfAfflicted
05-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Ok that seal is not leaking. The oil is coming from between the berring that rides in that seal & the splines of the primary sprocket shaft. BTW I'm running a 3" BDL belt drive if that helps. there is no inner primary cover or backing plate.

junior
05-09-2006, 02:43 PM
there is only the crank seal....

if you pull it down to change the case seal, it would be worthwhile to inspect the bearing too...

j

rwpatton
05-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Wide and junior have you covered.

Sometimes the output shaft seal will harden or just start leaking for no apparent reason. Why? who the hell knows..Its a Shovel.

Before i'd freak out about a bearing going out i'd replace the seal. Only one...no inner seal.

Pull the old one out by punching two holes in the metal ring around the seal and screwing some metal screws into the holes and carefully pry it out without gouging the shaft. Install a new one with a suitable sized piece of pvc pipe to drive it home. Check the shaft for a seal lip wear ring. Sometimes you can defeat the problem by driving the seal past the wear ring or not pushing it in that far.

fwiw

RW

Wide
05-10-2006, 06:19 AM
Just an added note here

Hi RW :D

They make a thing called a super nut, it's a nut with a washer/seal built in to it.
Dont use one of these, they suck & are a waste of time. It's like putting a bandaid on a broken bone.

junior
05-10-2006, 01:38 PM
freak out?....me?.....lol

rw's right- all i am saying is look for any signs of bearing issues- it's a good idea to do this for any part you expose due to an oil leak.....

j

wreckerman
05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
rw , we think alike on this one

SelfAfflicted
05-24-2006, 04:17 AM
The oil is not coming from the seal, the oil is coming from between the bearing & the splines on the shaft. can I freak now.. P.S. sorry bout the slow reply, I been out a while.

Wide
05-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Thats the seal, check the bearing for free play also

SelfAfflicted
05-24-2006, 04:29 AM
I can move the bearing in & out about 1/4"

rwpatton
05-24-2006, 06:30 AM
If you can move the crankshaft...in and out a 1/4 inch, "Houston we have a problem".

RW

Bigshovel
05-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Sounds like the ole' girl has some miles on her bottom. :D

SelfAfflicted
06-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Got this one figured out too. Kinda...The part I could move is the spacer that rides against the crank bearing. Hell after I got the sprocket shaft seal out I could pull it off. & inside the spacer I found a O-ring seal that's sposed to seal on the shaft. There is a groove that the O-ring goes in Not sure if this was stock but the one shown to me at the dealer was solid, no O-ring. Anyway the O-ring is riding on the splined part of the shaft. Like it won't go back far enuff to get to the smooth part to seal. Is this a stock spacer or some stroaker shit I have to deal with? And does the stock spacer go on the shaft tight to seal or will it slide on the shaft easily?

Bigshovel
06-15-2006, 12:14 PM
How long have you had this bike, did you buy it recently? I ask because without seeing it for myself it sounds like like somebody developed a pretty good leak after installing the belt drive. Probably after trying to replace the stock seal with no success (since the bottom end is obviously shot and is destroying the elastomers in your seal) they decided to add an o-ring type seal in hopes that would stop it....maybe long enough to get rid of it. The groove you described may just be surface wear from hardened seals riding on it. I'm just speculating here, like I said it is difficult to nail it down without actually seeing it. As stated before, if you have 1/4 end play in your wheels.... sorry bud, but it's time to freshen the old Shovel's bottom.

Red-Doggy
06-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Hi, I have a '77 shovel that leaks gear oil and motor oil, like about a teaspoon of each per day. The gear oil leak slows up if it gets about 1/2 inch from the fill line. I keep one of those aluminum turkey roasting pans under the bike, plus a good supply of speedy dry on hand. The bike runs great, and its cheap just to add the oil back in. Am I doing any harm to my bike by doing this? Thanks

Bigshovel
06-21-2006, 01:30 AM
Hi, I have a '77 shovel that leaks gear oil and motor oil, like about a teaspoon of each per day. The gear oil leak slows up if it gets about 1/2 inch from the fill line. I keep one of those aluminum turkey roasting pans under the bike, plus a good supply of speedy dry on hand. The bike runs great, and its cheap just to add the oil back in. Am I doing any harm to my bike by doing this? Thanks Not at all, over time it will just leak more and more. As long as there is oil in there you are good. I had a Pan that I added a qt of oil every 100 miles.........and it never rusted either. :D