PDA

View Full Version : A Woman is the success behind S&S

Shorty
05-27-2006, 02:28 AM
One of the biggest and most respected engine manufacturers in the motorcycle industry, S&S Cycle, may not have existed if it wasn't for Marjorie Smith. "If it wasn't for her willingness to continue the business in 1959 and take over the office responsibilities and financial burden, there probably wouldn't be an S&S," reflects Ken Smith, one of Marjorie's two sons who started working with the company in the 1970s.

Marjorie was married to George Smith, co-founder of S&S Cycle. Not only was she a businesswoman, she was a motorcycle enthusiast before she met and married George.

Early Days
George founded S&S Cycle in 1958 with Stanley Stankos in Blue Island, Illinois. Within a year of starting the company, Stankos sold his share to Smith so he could pursue his upholstery business. It wasn't long afterwards that Marjorie (whose maiden name was also Smith), jumped in to help keep the business going. At 37, after raising two daughters and two sons and running a household, she was up for the task. Soon thereafter, the company went from being known as Smith & Stankos to Smith & Smith (S&S).
Full Story:
http://www.womenridersnow.com/PublicFiles/DepartmentViewer.asp?ArticleID=177

Ezlivn
05-27-2006, 02:31 AM
All this time I thought it meant "Short & Sweet" :P :P

Damn I'm in the ladies bathroom again. Excuse me, I'll show my way out :(

Red_Molly
05-27-2006, 04:53 AM
Shorty--
I am so glad you are posting this kind of stuff. It is really interesting and I enjoy reading it. :)

Wide
05-27-2006, 05:48 AM
Funny you bring thsi up I was just reading about S&S about a month ago

Very cool stuff with the ladies involvment in the field :D

Calli
05-27-2006, 05:52 AM
lol See? Where would our beloved HD's be if all women had stayed on the Back of the bike.... ;)

windrebel
05-28-2006, 06:52 PM
My mom was riding on the back of motorcycles in the late 40's and finally rode her own Harley in 1965. My first ride was in 1965 and remember thinking how cool that my mother rode a motorcycle. I consider my mom who is now 74 a real scooter mama from way back. B)

Shorty
05-28-2006, 07:32 PM
My mom was riding on the back of motorcycles in the late 40's and finally rode her own Harley in 1965. My first ride was in 1965 and remember thinking how cool that my mother rode a motorcycle. I consider my mom who is now 74 a real scooter mama from way back. B)
Do you have any pictures of her wind? Id love to see them and you might want to consider contributing them to the female motorcycle history exhibit in N. Carolina.

dannytheman
05-28-2006, 10:47 PM
I had Marjorie before George did!!! No brag, just fact!!

Together we were S & M !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

windrebel
05-29-2006, 07:29 AM
I will ask her if she has any pictures. I don't remember seeing any but she may have them somewhere.