PDA

View Full Version : new purchase questions

Baalz
11-09-2004, 02:29 PM
I am close to ordering a 05 Heritage EFI, in lava red sunglow. Just a few questions on accesories.
So far I am thinking about security system, bullet signals, lamp rings, profile lace wheels, Maybe chrome front lower fork. And possibly Stage 1 kit.
Are these parts installed at the plant or at the dealer. And is it normal for the dealer to charge you labor when adding them to a new bike order.
Iv'e found a dealer that sells at MSRP, 225 shipping, and 525 setup but charges labor for any accesories installed.
I'm guessing I could do most. Not sure about the stage 1 (would i need power commander?) and the lower forks would probably be over my head.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Baalz

whodatt
11-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the forums baalz.

I believe that all accessories are dealer installed. As far as the stage one kit goes, that is just an air filter and bracket change. No big deal. I have also found that while all dealers charge for labor, you can find ones that will give a significant discount on parts installed at the time of purchase. If the dealer you are buying from does not offer that, maybe you can find one that does and at least use that as a bargaining chip with the dealer you have ordered your bike from.

Just a thought.

Wide
11-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi Baalz

Welcome to the forums & good luck with your new ride, when you get it.

Just to add to the above, the power commander is a really great thing even on a stock bike as they come running lean for EPA standards & greatly benefit from it.

:D

Baalz
11-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Yes they do offer 15% on parts when ordered with bike.
But add up the labor on installing any of those parts It would be cheaper for me to do it.
No idea if I could handle the fork tubes. Probably not and that would take that price from 300 to 500 im sure.

TexasFatBoy
11-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Welcome to the forms, baalz! 1beer

It will always be cheaper if ya do it yourself (unless ya screw up and then need someone else to fix it! :lol:)

Lots of good advice from these guys! I got nothin' to add. B)

wreckerman
11-09-2004, 11:19 PM
good advice from all above , as for the lower fork legs if you have to ask weather you can handel that job or not , i would say you cant as for your other parts yes you can save money but if you screw up anything , what will it do to your warrenty??? is it worth the few bucks you might save you could better spend your time rideing, also if they do the work there will be a warrenty on what they do , dont forget to ask for your take off parts if they do the work and congradulations on the purchase of your new harley i wish you years of enjoyment

buckanddot
11-10-2004, 10:01 PM
All dealers are different, but most will warranty any parts dealer installed as if were stock parts with full two year warranty. Have you shopped around Bro or is the only dealer you've been to? My dealer only gave a 10% discount but installed everything free, so I had em do everything and anything I thought I might screw up( StageII big bore, low profile front end, etc.). From what I see and hear there's a lot of Harleys to be had right now so I recomend dicker and or shop around. Whats with the $525 set up fee? Again with the supply of bikes out there now, I thought most stealers quit charging fees like this. Does the dealer include the 1000 mile checkup with that fee? Many do. Good luck and have fun with that new scoot! Buck.

CurryBob
11-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Baalz

The bike you are considering is just like mine. I love it.

Baalz
11-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Oh yes Bob I have been checking out your bike in the threads. A great inspiration to my decision. Do you have stock bars on yours that you have rolled back some?

CurryBob
11-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Baalz

Yep the bars are stock but I had 2inch risers put on(I think they were up one inch and back two inch or vice versa, I can check for sure if you want to know for sure). I then rolled the bars down closer to me, it makes for a real nice riding position. I'm 5'7" and guess I don't have very long arms and this has put the bars in perfect riding position for me.

CurryBob
11-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Baalz

Yep the bars are stock but I had 2inch risers put on(I think they were up one inch and back two inch or vice versa, I can check for sure if you want to know for sure). I then rolled the bars down closer to me, it makes for a real nice riding position. I'm 5'7" and guess I don't have very long arms and this has put the bars in perfect riding position for me.

hdsfttailman
11-19-2004, 11:20 PM
One thing that I didn't notice anyone mentioning........if your changing pipes and your going to install a power commander there may be a possibility that your bike is going to need to go on a Dyno to be tuned. I installed a true dual exhaust (Sampson) on my 2003 Heritage along with a power commander, the dealer said it would absolutely need to go on the Dyno to be tuned properly - at a miminum charge of $300.00 for Dyno time. The whole set up was expensive......like $1,600 or $1,700 but I don't have any complaints about how the bike runs with the dual exhaust system installed.

wreckerman
11-19-2004, 11:26 PM
the pc maps well get you so close, that most of the time you can fine tune with the 3 buttons by seat of the pants and reading your plugs , dyno is ok but not usealy needed for the set up he is going with also most shops charge by the hour for dyno time and with 1 hr he should be able to make at least 2 passes