PDA

View Full Version : **NEW SECTION** HOME-MADE SAUSAGE

wreckerman
05-29-2006, 03:05 AM
HERE WE GO HOW ABOUT SHARING SOME RECIPES OF HOME MADE SAUSAGE OR OTHER STUFFED MEATS THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE

Wide
05-29-2006, 03:18 AM
This is gonna be good

FOOD I got the munchies :D

Shorty
05-29-2006, 03:35 AM
I havent tried making homemade sausage but I make jerky in my oven about 4 times a year.
Heres a great site for sausage recipes and if anyone gets a notion to make some landjaeger, I want some!!
http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

Sean
05-30-2006, 05:20 AM
My Families German sausage recipe (65 lbs)

You can make less than 65 lbs if you want....I gave the meat numbers for the ratio.

30 lbs. lean ground beef
35 lbs lean ground pork
1 tsp of salt per pound
1/2 tsp of ground black pepper per pound
1 clove of garlic (pressed) per pound
1/4 cup water per 5 lbs of meat
1 tsp powdered milk per 5 lbs meat (optional)

Casings (pork casings) This makes a sausage about 1.25 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

Soak your casings in warm water for at least an hour changing the water 3 to 4 times. Rinse the casings inside and out thoroughly to get rid of residual salt they are packed in.

Press garlic into saucepan and add water, heat but don't boil. Then strain water and let it cool (refrigerate). (you are capturing the garlic flavor without the flesh because garlic flesh will make black spots when frozen....not harmful, just not aesthetic looking)

In a suitable container mix the meat thoroughly, add the salt and pepper and mix. ( If you are making 30 lbs or more it is better to have 2 people ready to mix....the cold meat (~35 degrees) numbs your arms quick).

Add the powdered milk to the garlic water and mix it into the meat mixture. The milk acts as a binder, you don't need it if you don't want to use it, no flavor change.

Stuff the casings with the meat and freeze/refrigerate.

This sausage can be baked, fried, grilled, or smoked (apple or alder are my favorites).

I have found that Sportsman Warehouse carries Casings for sausages, they carry sheep (breakfast link size), Pork (brats, kielbasa size), and also the 3 inchers for summer sausage.

PM me if you have any questions.

Oh by the way...I have an electric grinder/stuffer that I use...my grandparents did it all with an old hand crank job.

Slice
06-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Here is a link to a great company that sells supplies, spices etc. for making sausage.
They have gotten a lot of my cash away from me and have never had a bad experience. They also sell a big thick book that has about every recipe known to man.

http://sausagemaker.com/

sporty883r
06-06-2006, 12:35 AM
neat, I never thought of making my own sausages! I have a kitchenaid mixer and there is an atachment to make sausages! I have the gringer all ready.
http://www.beststuff.co.uk/images/ka_sausage_stuffer.jpg

softail
07-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Can anyone find a boudin recipe? Its a Cajun streamed sausage with ground in cooked rice. All the local butchers make it fresh every day, and its gone by noon. ;)

HeadDoc
07-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Can anyone find a boudin recipe? Its a Cajun streamed sausage with ground in cooked rice. All the local butchers make it fresh every day, and its gone by noon. ;)

man I love Boudin. the best I've had is from HAckett's grocery in Lake Charles the spicy smoked is worth fighting over... here is a good recipie

Boudin Blanc (White Boudin) pronoounced boo-dan.. this is from Prudhomme family cookbook

makes about 5 pounds
1.5 lbs bone in pork shoulder about 1 inch thick and cut into 4 pieces
1.25 pound pork liver coarsely chopped
1 small pck 37 millimeter size natural hog casings
about 2.5 quarts in all basic pork stock
6-9 cups of hot basic cooked rice
1 cup minced onions
1 cup finely chopped green onions
.25 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1.5 teaspoons black pepper

place steak , liver and 7 cups of stock in 4 quart sauce pan and bring to boil stir once or twice and boil for about 15 minutes, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours spoon off the scum. meat should still be covered with stock at the end or add a little water until it is covered.

put meat into bowl remove bones. strain water you cooked it in and reserve 2 cups

grind the meat and fat in grinder use coarse grind disc

stir in all the ingriedients and mix well, taste and be sure its hot enough or add more cayenne to taste.

the mix should be very moist but not runny. if its too runny add more rice.
stuff the casings and make the links about about 4-5 inches

to prepare place the boudin coiled loosely in a dutch oven or broad based suace pan and cover with water. heat over high heat until water reaches 180 degrees then redice heat and hold the boudin just below simmer for 15 minutes. eat

you can store what you don't immedieately eat in ziploc bags

give it an ice water bath for 1 hour to cool down as fast as possib;e.. this will give it a longer shelf life.

I sometimes take the links and reheat as an hor douvre over a charcoal fire when I am grilling.

softail
07-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Thank You very much! :D

Blackcloud41
01-04-2007, 02:49 AM
seems this thread died a while back, but here's an Italian sausage recipe anyway.

1 pound of ground pork (preferably boston butt)
1 tbs fennel seed
1/2 tbs red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

mix it up and let it sit in the fridge for 1 full day before using. The seasonings have to get into the meat.

make patties and cook over LOW heat until cooked through.

screw regular sausage. I grew up eating THIS stuff for b'fast.