PDA

View Full Version : Riding Course

Hugger_Lady
05-30-2006, 04:00 AM
How many of you have taken the riding course and if you have what did you find to be the hardest to do??

Shorty
05-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Hugger, Im due to take mine in July and I can tell you the hardest part for me, honestly, is going to be all suited up with long sleeves, jeans, boots, and gloves...in July! All mandatory for Oregons course.
Ive checked out the test course already. Theres a place where all the tasks they will ask you to perform are painted on the ground. We are going to measure those and spray paint them on the ground here at home so I can practice. Theres a very sharp left corner to take and I know you get points off for putting your feet down. Theres the cone line up that you have to zig zag through but I think the trick there is to take them wide. And theres another set of three lines, the first one is where you take off, the second one is for when you put it in 2nd gear, and the third line is where youre supposed to stop, and not beyond it. Its a short distance between the first and last lines.
If I can pass this three day course I get full DMV waiver for my M endorsement.
Are you planning on taking the course?

momsridin
05-30-2006, 01:41 PM
I took the course in Oct of 04 if I remember correctly. I had Zero, zilch, nadda experience on a motorcycle. I had taken a riders class some 20+ years prior during my senior year in high school but that was it. I had never ridden on the back. I always held out hoping for my own someday. The whole class was a challenge for me because I had no real history. The hardest part to me was doing the emergency stop without sliding out on the rear tire. The front brakes on the class bikes just didn't want to help out much. But, I got it eventually ;) . I strongly recommend the class to all new riders.

Julie
05-30-2006, 01:58 PM
I took it several years ago, and it seemed like the hardest thing for most was the cones. I think the problem most had was not enough speed! You have to give it a little throttle or you are gonna end up putting your feet down.

Shorty, I took mine in August....omg! Long sleeves, jeans, gloves, boots on asphalt in GA in August. Might as well have been taking the class in hell.

Hugger_Lady
05-30-2006, 03:42 PM
yes ladies I can relate to the long everything in the heat of the summer months. I dont' have any choice the class is only offered certian months of the year and I got in the first open class that was there. its in a few weeks. I have spend so many years on the back that I am down right scared but then again, I have that desire to have my own and not wait along the side for someone to give me that ride. Time for me to stand up on my own and take the class. hell I am even to the point that I have thought about selling my cage once I pass then spending the rest of the season on my bike. In the fall I can alwasy make up my mind what cage I want and go from there. Once I pass the class I can bypass having to be tested all over again at the local DMV. Thank Goodness!
Katmandu just got herself a Hugger and I have to say that she and a few others have once again have lite that strength that I have lost since signing up months ago.
Thank you ladies for sharing what you went thru or are about to go thru... this gives me a since of security knowing that there are so many others pushing so hard to get or ride their own.

Shorty
05-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Julie, in August?? Youre my hero! hehe If you can do it, I can do it. (I think)

Hugger, I know what you mean about being scared. There was no way I was going into this class dry so I already got a bike and Ive been practicing on that. I will be able to use my own bike on the course, and have the test course painted here at my house will be a huge bennie.
Good luck with yours and let us know how it goes!

mklowe12
05-30-2006, 04:17 PM
The hardest thing to do was to get up and listen to the BLAH,BLAH, BLAH all day..... :lol:

MedievalWoman
05-30-2006, 04:42 PM
I went with no knowledge except from the bitch seat. It was alot of work, but fun. I'm glad I didn't know anything, cause then you might have some bad habits that they don't allow you to do in class. I went in July and it rained the first 5 hours. So besides the humidity we had rain gear on. Can you say HOT.

Good luck ;)

Reign
05-30-2006, 04:43 PM
The hardest thing to do was to get up and listen to the BLAH,BLAH, BLAH all day..... :lol:

i have to agree with that! ...i took it, in Pa you can save on your insurance if you have a completion stamp on ur card. I had several ppl in my class that had never ridden b4 and it was fun watching their faces light up when they realized they could actually ride. ....mind you i had to be very patient cause i wanted to rip thru the course but even tho i knew how to ride i did learn a couple things from the course ...glad i took it and i highly recomend it for everyone.

Reign
05-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Katmandu just got herself a Hugger and I have to say that she and a few others have once again have lite that strength that I have lost since signing up months ago.

:lol: i just realized when i read this that it's Alicia! how r ya? glad ur here!

mklowe12
05-30-2006, 04:54 PM
We actually had this girl who had already bought an 883 and quit the class because she was too scared to ride. I felt bad for her but I was wondering what in the hell she was thinking when she bought the 883. The instructors tried to get her to stay but no luck.

Reign
05-30-2006, 05:02 PM
We actually had this girl who had already bought an 883 and quit the class because she was too scared to ride. I felt bad for her but I was wondering what in the hell she was thinking when she bought the 883. The instructors tried to get her to stay but no luck.

I have a friend who got scared after getting her bike and wouldn't go further than the end of her driveway. After a little chat with her I coaxed her to just go ONE block. She called me later to say she went beyond the block and was so happy she did. She rides all over now :D

Hugger_Lady
05-30-2006, 06:30 PM

:lol: i just realized when i read this that it's Alicia! how r ya? glad ur here!

Awww darn it! I am busted now! LOL... i am hanging in there sweetie... thanks! how about you?

Reign
05-30-2006, 07:01 PM

Awww darn it! I am busted now! LOL... i am hanging in there sweetie... thanks! how about you?

ohh im doing good thanx! Im glad to know ur up and about and doing ok ;)

cjb2375
05-31-2006, 01:24 AM
I had ridden years and years before - never with a license. Figured since now I am a "respectable member of society" I should do the right thing and get a license if I want to ride. It was so worth it. In VA you use the bikes they provide - mostly smaller types. It just gave confidence to what I thought I already knew. Plus the discount on the insurance wasn't bad either!! I had the course in April I think, windy and cold and threats of rain (the rain never happened but the wind was bad enough).

In another year or so, I would like to take the advanced course - more training is always a good thing.

Reign
05-31-2006, 01:28 AM
In another year or so, I would like to take the advanced course - more training is always a good thing.

I couldn't agree more with ur line of thinking ..and i hope to do the same thing as well.

contessa_98
05-31-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm taking my course the first weekend in July. And yes, I'm just a little scared too!

I have been looking around at bikes but I hesitate to buy one before I can even ride. Oh well, the right one is out there just waiting for me, just gotta find it!

Hugger_Lady
05-31-2006, 02:27 AM
I have my class on the weekend of the 16th. I will keep you posted with how it goes.

TexasRed
05-31-2006, 02:55 AM
Took the MSF class May '01 here in Texas the weekend before I picked up my new Sporty on Monday. Took the class with my salesman's g/friend. Had a great time, and more importantly, one of our teachers told us "You'll know by the end of this class, if you make it, if this is going to be for you." He was right. Some passed, some failed, some knew they'd never own a bike. I on the other hand, picked up my 40th birthday present to ME & called in sick for 3 days & rode it to work the next 2 days :lol:

I only had a point knocked off & it was on a tight Figure-8. I think all you ladies that are about to take the class will truly enjoy it. Cant wait to get another bike myself in the near future.

weenie
06-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Hey ladies........I will be taking the course soon enough myself, yea I am scared shitless to take the course but I want to learn to ride so bad I can taste it!!! Not sure when I will get signed up but I pick my bike up this weekend or next. I was glad to see in the courses they have here in florida that there is a bike just like mine available so I am going to request that one! I have a big enough yard to practice in just to learn a little about the bike before I go. Trust me, I will be back and forth in this thread getting updates and telling ya'll about all the goofy things I do before the course!! :blink2:

Mellisa
06-01-2006, 12:27 AM
The stupid ass figure 8 turns were the hardest for me.
I believe I had some trouble not running over the instructors during the part of the training where they stand at the end of the course and have me ride directly towards them. They decide at the last second to give me directions to go left, right, or come to a fast stop. They just stood there as I sped toward them at a blinding speed of 8 mph on a little 125.
I believe they wanted me to turn to the left, not scare the sh*t out of them by forgetting everything except where the throttle was, but....? :P

Sandman
06-01-2006, 12:29 AM
get the video ride like a pro girls. u'll get a better idea of how its done watching it first, then when u do get on ur bike and follow their tips, controlling ur bike will be a snap. as long as u have power goin to the rear tire, u can lean that bike over until it drags the pegs even in the parking lot cuttin a doughnut with their technique. been there, done it; and on a sportster, u'll be in 1 hell of a lean when doing so.
the easiest way to pass ur test is to work on slow speed manuvering. the slower the better.

trollsgal
06-01-2006, 12:52 AM
I took my class in April, the first weekend. It was raining, snowing, and windy...Brrrr. I learned everything that I needed to know as i had never ridden a bike except for bitch. This was one year and one month ago. Since then I put 5 thousand miles on an 82 sportster and 4 thousand miles on my 06 Street Bob. I was scared, but I think being scared is good. Make ya learn more. I had trouble with the braking with my hand and letting off the throttle. Worth every penny of the course. Good luck to all of you that are going to take it.

windrebel
06-01-2006, 05:12 AM
My problem was with the figure 8 also. Good class to take for sure! Good luck to everyone who is taking it soon.

Hugger_Lady
06-01-2006, 07:59 PM
:blink2: 15 more days and I will have to face my fears. Only thing I am missing now is the gloves. I have been told by another lady who took the class last year that Abate here in Indy is good about working with someone who is having troubles. I still wish that just once while riding on the back that someone would have shown me just some of the basic crap, I feel like I am totally blind going into this.... another friend of mine told me to just remember that its nothing more then a big bicycle with a motor.....

OldBikerGuy
06-01-2006, 08:10 PM
:blink2: 15 more days and I will have to face my fears. Only thing I am missing now is the gloves. I have been told by another lady who took the class last year that Abate here in Indy is good about working with someone who is having troubles. I still wish that just once while riding on the back that someone would have shown me just some of the basic crap, I feel like I am totally blind going into this.... another friend of mine told me to just remember that its nothing more then a big bicycle with a motor.....

No sweat, H_L, all you gotta remember is if you do it with your hand in a car you do it with your foot on a bike, and vice-versa. The only exception is the rear brake (foot-operated) but the front brake is hand-operated so it doesn't fully violate my teaching aid. ^_^

P.S. I hope Harley-Ray doesn't see this. He'll try to jerk off with his foot while loading his Road Hog on the trailer. :lol:

Sandman
06-01-2006, 08:41 PM
try to remember: DONT lock up the front brake. bad idea. u can get away with lockin up the back, but never the front.
turn ur head toward the turn; if turning right, move head to the right and vice versa. use ur eyes; look where u want the bike to be, and it will zero in on that very spot. in the figure-8, dont get fixtataed on staring at the cones. if u look at the cones, u will hit them. if in low speed turns and u look at the ground, u'll go down.

easiest way to do the figure 8 is to first get the slow drag perfected. keep ur head and eyes up, when the bike starts to move, get the feet on the pegs. release just a touch more clutch, and feather the rear brake. rpm's should be in the 1500-2000 range. u know ur in the friction zone when u can goose the gas, but the bike doesnt lurch forward. it takes getting a feel for it, but is easy. DONT LOOK AT THE GROUND OR SPEEDOMETER. the object is, to travel as slow as possible. it especially helps to put urself as close to the rear tire as the seat will allow, and be centered in the seat. focus on a spot about 100' away with ur eyes and lock onto that. soon u'll be crawlin at a 2 mph pace easy. after u master the slow drag with the friction zone, the figure 8 will be alot easier to do. it's all in the head, eyes, and friction zone.

OldBikerGuy
06-01-2006, 08:48 PM
try to remember: DONT lock up the front brake. bad idea. u can get away with lockin up the back, but never the front.

What's wrong, Sandman, you got something against endo's? :lol:

Sandman
06-01-2006, 09:10 PM
u can endo all u want obg, but i dont think the girls care to bench press a scoot right about now. :lol:

cjb2375
06-03-2006, 10:28 PM
One thing I learned that is totally invaluable - and this wasn't even in the MSF - it was in a driving course I had to take for work. Never never never look at where you don't want to go (obstacle in front of you - be it a car or a wall). Always look at where you want to go - find the hole. Sounds elementry and very easy, but it's harder to do than it sounds. For some reason, most folks (myself included) seem fascinated by what is in front of them about to crunch their front tire and ruin their day.

This applies not only in situations where you are doing those huge on/off ramps from interstates - keeping your eye on the curve way ahead of you - but also in emergency type situations where there is something horrible in front of you, and your choice is to lock it up or to try to avoid.

Sandman
06-03-2006, 11:03 PM
what he said. this is especially true when u go to take on the course to get the endorsement. when u enter the cones, focus about a foot or so ahead of the very last cone. u'll see the cone line in the periphreal vision. if u look at the cone that's close to ur bike, u will wind up hitting them. in the case of the u-turn, if u look at the ground, u will go down.
what u do is, snap ur head back and look where u want the bike to end up. in a real life scenerio, if u do a u-turn on say...ur own street, and u look at the curb, u will run right into it. btw, this can work in the cage as i've been noticing.

on the left hand turn, dont look at either the ground or the lines and u'll be ok. any1 can hold a bike up at highway speed. its actually harder to handle a bike at parking lot speed, but the same rule applies...look where u want the bike to go.

Thunderunderme
06-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Passed the course one year ago May 1st. I was so proud of myself & you will be too. I was totally green going in & I did fine. You are determined my friend and that's what it takes, the will to do it.

The tight figure 8 in the box was the hardest for me too. hahaha I still chuckle when I think back at how I must have looked.

And the looking where ya want to go.....is the best advice ever. I found that out when I took Thunder out the very first time. I looked at the ditch at the end of my drive as I promptly rode Thunder into it...bwahahaha
Lesson learned!

I got nothing but comfidence in ya my friend....!!! We will ride together.

Sandman
06-04-2006, 05:07 PM
i guess thunder wasnt too happy that u led him to a ditch instead of the asphalt. :lol:

Thunderunderme
06-04-2006, 05:19 PM
No he wasn't but I am now checked off on 'ditch riding 101'...lol

Sandman
06-04-2006, 05:58 PM
ROTFL. i can see that added to the msf course; how to jump a ditch.

Thunderunderme
06-04-2006, 06:15 PM
lmao....if'n they'd had it maybe I wouldn't have rode down it...

Hugger_Lady
06-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Removed cause its stated twice on here

Hugger_Lady
06-04-2006, 07:40 PM
thats it Thunderunderme ;)

:ph34r: I know that ditch in your front yard.

During Thunderstock this September you can hold classes on how to jump a ditch, charge 25.00 a person. LMAO I did watch close last gathering and saw only 2 go for the ditch, both where able to drive out of it without any troubles. don't think too much about that Thunderunderme, both that drove into the ditch where big guys and I knew they could handle the bikes they where riding.

Thunderunderme
06-04-2006, 09:55 PM
You are talking about the ditch on my side of the street....I am talking about the ditch on the other side of the street....the deeeep one. lol Not one to ride out of once in it....
That would get us some good vids...

Turtle_licious
06-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Amen on the figure 8 - that is the only part that sucked!

I took my MSF course 3 years ago in the dead of winter...ok, I do live in the south..but that was the coldest freaking day of the year that year! Was hard to concentrate and hold on to anything cause my body was shaking so much!

Even tho I rode street bikes in my "younger" years...I still had some bad habits from my dirt bike riding days (only 2 fingers on the clutch and brake) that had to be broken! I think that instructor used to be a nun...kept slapping my hand with the ruler every time I passed him!

Best advice I can give is to trust yourself and your instructor.....you'll do fine!

P.S. I'm getting ready to go into debt...can't see ANOTHER riding season on the back....or stuck at home!

:ph34r:

katmandhu
06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Passed the test yesterday. Besides the grueling heat in FL with all that stuff on, the hardest part for me was getting out of bed to be there by 6:45 am.

The course is well worth taking. There was a guy there that got busted without the MC endorsment & even he said he learned some valuable information. It was a zoo at times because we had 12 in our class & the range I felt was pretty small for that many.

The most valuable thing that was drilled into me as stated by some others is to keep your head up & look where you want to go.

Some of the things I noticed, especially with the female riders was not getting their speed up. When it came to the fast brake on the test, it wasn't the case for me. They said it was the fastest one anyone had ever done perfectly in their records. But they still made me do it again, because I did it so fast, so I took it easier & got 1.5 points off that time, because I should have stopped sooner - give me a break!

The figure 8s aren't that hard, but when someone is watching you & you are worried about staying in the lines, you tend to watch those lines. Lots put their feet down. You are only allowed to do the figure 8 once in the test, so that is a good thing to practice if you can.

The best & most fun part was the swerves. When they are standing there telling you which way to swerve or make a fast stop, afterwards, you go back to the staging through the weave cones. I took them as fast as I could & then did my brake into first at the end. That was good practice.

Another thing is to not let the instructors rattle you. Towards the end they are hot & tired too & the one guy would start to yell. Just gotta say to yourself, you can do it!

Good luck Hugger! And to anyone who reads this & is worried about failing, I kind of wish I had failed so I could take it again. It is well worth it for what you are taught. They recommend you taking the advanced course after you've put on 3000 miles or 6 months of riding. I will do that too.

Shorty
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Congratulations!! Ill be taking my test in july (hot as hell here) and I really appreciate you detailing your experience like this.
I reeeaally hope the instructors dont yell at me. That wouldnt be pretty for anyone involved. :lol:
Congrats again kat! :D

Pathfinder
06-05-2006, 04:23 PM
As an MSF RiderCoach Trainer I can tell you that the RiderCoaches should NOT be yelling at anybody, no matter how late in the day or hot it is. Shorty come out to California and I will teach you.

Guys and Gals make the same mistakes, guys are also afraid of braking and turning also.

Look where you want to go, (Do not include - Down ;) ) only cover your front brake when you are going to use it. It you cover it for safety sake and get nervous you will squeeze it and over the bike goes.

Relax and have a great time, the RiderCoaches are there for you, ask questions, be involved. Smiles are a good thing. :D

Oh I forgot to mention that you can get bugs in your teeth while on the range..... :wacko:

Take snacks and water for the range work.......

Thunderunderme
06-05-2006, 05:11 PM
WoooHooo Kat...I knew you could. Just as I know H_L will do it also. I mean face it, if I can do it......anyone can.

I was speedy too Kat....when they were telling peeps...'speed up, speed up', they told me 'slow down, slow down'...lol

Friction zone is more than a sensual phrase now.... :P

Congrats gf.....look for something in the mail....

katmandhu
06-05-2006, 05:24 PM
WoooHooo Kat...

Congrats gf.....look for something in the mail....

Thanks Char! And would that something in the mail happen to be something that by tradition someone else must put on for me? Hmmm....

Yes, if we can do it, anyone can do it!

Shorty go see Pathfinder! And if they do yell at you, they are telling you something important. The key is to heed the information, but don't let it rattle you.

And yes, it is true about bugs on the course range. I got whapped a few times. Another tip is sunscreen for your face! I look like a red racoon because I was in such a rush to get there, I forgot about it.

Turtle_licious
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
WHO-HOO KAT!!!!

Been meaning to call and congrat you on bike...guess I can just do that here now....and add a big congrats on passing the course too!

NOW THERE'S A GREAT BIRTHDAY PRESENT!!!!

Speaking of which...you still coming up for that??? Let me know!!!

Ride Smart!

Thunderunderme
06-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Yes it is Kat....but since you didn't get to put mine on...guess turn about is fair play.....unless you want me to hold it until Sept...when you come to Thunderstock II

katmandhu
06-05-2006, 06:27 PM
WHO-HOO KAT!!!!

Speaking of which...you still coming up for that??? Let me know!!!

Ride Smart!

Yep Turtle! See you around the 20th of July through probably Monday.

katmandhu
06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Yes it is Kat....but since you didn't get to put mine on...guess turn about is fair play.....unless you want me to hold it until Sept...when you come to Thunderstock II

Char - it is a 3 part thing. I gave it to you & somebody else is supposed to put it on.

Hugger_Lady
06-05-2006, 09:27 PM
CONGRATS KAT! I knew you would/could do it!

Got 10 more days for me to take mine. I too am not looking forward to the heat with having to put on long sleeves, gloves (which I still need to get).... But it will be a small price to pay for me to get my endorcement.

Be safe out there lady and ride as often as you can, lastly hug those curves!!!

Hugger

Sandman
06-05-2006, 10:20 PM
good goin kat. now a new world opens....rental/demo bikes. kam

Hugger_Lady
06-06-2006, 02:00 AM
good goin kat. now a new world opens....rental/demo bikes. kam

Sandman
Did ya forget? Kat already bought herself her Hugger. Heck she got that before she had the class. She got a damn good deal! I am so happy for her!

weenie
06-06-2006, 03:29 AM
Way to freakin go KAT!!! Girl, I am proud...it will be my turn soon enough! Nervous...damn straight, determined....funkin A!!!!

Sandman
06-06-2006, 09:09 AM
so does this mean she isnt gonna try a fatboy

Hugger_Lady
06-06-2006, 02:39 PM
so does this mean she isnt gonna try a fatboy

Can't answer that one but if she does and decides that she wants to get rid of her Hugger I hope she remembers how to get up with me...LOL

Sandman
06-06-2006, 08:40 PM
she looks too good on it for her to get rid of it. i was thinkin more along the lines of, she could start her own collection. yea yea that's the ticket...1 bike for every day of the week. but then she'd probably have to either flip a coin for what bike goes out that day, or if anything she's wearing 'will go' with the paint. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OldBikerGuy
06-06-2006, 08:49 PM

I have a friend who got scared after getting her bike and wouldn't go further than the end of her driveway. After a little chat with her I coaxed her to just go ONE block. She called me later to say she went beyond the block and was so happy she did. She rides all over now :D

There's just no substitute for balls! :lol:

katmandhu
06-07-2006, 04:05 AM
she looks too good on it for her to get rid of it. i was thinkin more along the lines of, she could start her own collection. yea yea that's the ticket...1 bike for every day of the week. but then she'd probably have to either flip a coin for what bike goes out that day, or if anything she's wearing 'will go' with the paint. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, so I got three pairs of boots, 2 pair of sandals, 1 pair of flip flops & God only knows if I have & where my sneakers are... I ain't that kinda gal! Now, if I win the lottery... I'll still shop the sales rack, realize a good deal & still ride what I am comfortable with. But, on the other hand, it has nothing to do with men. I'm still shopping, so how fat are ya? LOL

katmandhu
06-07-2006, 06:09 AM

Okay, so I got three pairs of boots, 2 pair of sandals, 1 pair of flip flops & God only knows if I have & where my sneakers are... I ain't that kinda gal! Now, if I win the lottery... I'll still shop the sales rack, realize a good deal & still ride what I am comfortable with. But, on the other hand, it has nothing to do with men. I'm still shopping, so how fat are ya? LOL

Hugger_Lady
06-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Okay, I have 2 days to get my damn gloves. yeap, I have waited for the last minute to go get some. So my question is this. Can I get away with a pair of light leather drving gloves? I have been told so many things by so many people. Last thing I want to hear when I get there Friday night is those gloves won't work.... I am nervous enough and I know I have tons of people pulling for me. Just don't want to spend alot of money on gloves that I won't wear lot of the time.

Thanks for the advise.

Hugger_Lady
06-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Way to freakin go KAT!!! Girl, I am proud...it will be my turn soon enough! Nervous...damn straight, determined....funkin A!!!!

Wish I was down there with ya Weenie. We could take the course together. have you gotten your bike picked up yet?

katmandhu
06-14-2006, 03:07 AM
All I had were my winter gloves that were too hot for summer & are barely warm enough for winter... But they provided light weight gloves & helmets. They wouldn't let some of the people wear the cut-off finger gloves. I'd call them & see.

Best of luck! You can do this!!!

Hugger_Lady
06-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks Kat. They actually called me last night to make sure I knew the location and was going to be there. They had to change the spot where they are holding the course. The instructor even said they will be getting us out early Friday night.

I figure this way, if I don't pass I will do it again and keep on trying intil I do pass.