PDA

View Full Version : EZpass

arthureld
06-05-2006, 01:40 AM
What a pain in the ass the EZpass site is.
There's no option for a trailer.
They say you get a discount for motorcycles, but how does that work?
They ask how many internal and external tags you need. Is a motorcycle external?
I'll call tomorrow, but if anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.
Why is it that huge government information systems are such a fucking mess? juker

wreckerman
06-05-2006, 02:57 AM
art in il they treat a bike pulling a trailer the same as just a bike "no extra charges " and bikes pay the same price that a car does , cant say for your state

Tony
06-05-2006, 03:02 AM
I picked up three transponders in New Hampshire at the end of last season when they sold them for 5 bucks each. One for the Aviator, and 2 for both bikes. I got the internal transponders for the bikes because they are smaller and more compact. You can either mount them on the lower part of a windshield, inside saddlebags, in your shirt pocket, or mounted on a fixed transponder holder. They will register a toll even if they in the glove box of your car if not in the protective bag, so its no big deal having one on a bike.

The trailer thing I never looked into, but should since I do own one.

As for the discount and such, Im not sure, and they are working on the site, so I cant check my account info to tell you. Once its up I will though.

firestopper
06-05-2006, 03:10 AM
New Hampshire here Arthur. I have EZ Pass (internal) In both my vehicles. We get a 30% discount on tolls here with EZ Pass. The external tag would be if you used the tag (Transmitter) on your motorcycle and from what the wife said that certain types of vehicles their transmitter has to be mounted outside. You'd have to check with New York to see if you get any discounts. I know that it was a breeze trailering down to Virginia this past April through,NH,Mass,Conn., NY, NJ, DEl.

Tony
06-05-2006, 10:29 PM
...The external tag would be if you used the tag (Transmitter) on your motorcycle and from what the wife said that certain types of vehicles their transmitter has to be mounted outside...

The external tag is too big for motorcycle tags. They are about the same length as a car tag. At least the ones in New Hampshire are anyway.And the ones that have to be externally mounted are:

Buick Roadmaster All
Cadillac Catera 99-01
Chevrolet Lumina Van Prior to 2002
Venture Prior to 2002
Ford Crown Victoria* 1987-1994
Taurus* Prior to 1995
Oldsmobile Silhouette Prior to 2002
Pontiac Trans Sport Prior to 2002
Montana Prior to 2002
Subaru SVX All

I emailed EZ PASS to find out about the trailer.

Roadglide03
06-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Hi Art, I'm in NY also. And have ezpass. You need one for the tow car and the trailer will get picked automatically. You will need a different one for the bike because it is at a different rate. If you have the bike in a trailer it dose not need one
Tom

arthureld
06-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Welcome RoadGlide03 and thanks for the info. Guess I'll order the damn things now. :D

Thanks to the rest for the info too. Good to see ya around Tony. :)

Kagan
06-06-2006, 03:25 AM
That reminds me... I ordered a spare EZPass for DNF so that we can both blow through the toll booths but he'll be taking a different route home. Which means... I better bring the foil wrapper that it comes in or I'll get charged when the sensor picks it up in my saddlebag! :rolleyes: :P

arthureld
06-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Got my EZpass's today. :)
They say I'm supposed to attach it to my windshield. I think I'll toss it in the hardbag like someone said.
They also said I'm not supposed to go thru the EZpass Only lane. :o
What's up with that?

Kagan
06-13-2006, 12:27 AM
They say I'm supposed to attach it to my windshield. I think I'll toss it in the hardbag like someone said.
What's up with that?

Yeah, what the ***??? I'll be calling them in the a.m. :wacko:

Kagan
06-13-2006, 09:17 PM
What's up with that?

Yeah, what the ***??? I'll be calling them in the a.m. :wacko:

Called E-ZPass. 877-736-6727. The woman I spoke to had never heard anything like it and even called around the office to see if anyone else had heard about a motorcycle restriction. The good news is that the transponder works even if you're on a horse-drawn buggy. Use the E-ZPass lane all you like! :D

arthureld
06-14-2006, 03:22 AM
After reading the paperwork again, it looks like they are saying that if you don't have a place to stick the pass, then you can't go thru the ezpass only lane.
Another case of miscommunication. Just ignore instructions and do it.

D.N.F.
06-14-2006, 05:33 AM
As I have always said in life:

As long as you look like you know what you are doing, no one will question you.

Works most of the time.

Kagan said he was going to mount my EZ-Pass on my helmet.

:)

Kagan
06-14-2006, 01:17 PM
As I have always said in life:

As long as you look like you know what you are doing, no one will question you.

Works most of the time.

Kagan said he was going to mount my EZ-Pass on my helmet.

:)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dannytheman
06-15-2006, 01:00 PM
That's a look I haven't seen yet!! Kagan, you trend setter!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

buck
06-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Why not buy a mount for the EZ pass?
http://www.motoringgadgets.com/zipass.html

arthureld
06-16-2006, 02:16 AM
Why not buy a mount for the EZ pass?
http://www.motoringgadgets.com/zipass.html

Thanks buck. That scrambleing for change bites.
I crossed the bridge to the bronx last jan with heated gear and gloves. That Throgs neck bridge is one cold mf and I woulda loved a ezpass that day.
Ezpass is the way to go. :D

buck
06-17-2006, 02:46 AM
I have been thinking about EZ pass for my bike also, hate to dig for change.

Tony
06-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Even worse than digging for change is having to stop at the toll booth. Here lies the worst of the worst. Not only do you have trash and other shit, you have oil from every leaky ass car out there, which puddles and never dries. You see so many guys put their foot down to stop and slip and almost loose it. You have the sand and gravel all built up as well because they dont care what the friggin lanes look like anymore, just so they get their monies. Some slippery shit as well.

Mass Motorcycle Association was trying to make it so bikes wouldnt have to even pay tolls anymore...the fight still goes on.

Believe me...whether on a mount, in your shirt pocket, in your bag or stuck to your windshield, having EZ Pass works like a charm and may save you from a slip and fall at the toll booth.

DeuceDog
06-23-2006, 02:14 AM
I have the external EZPass on my bike. It's black (in NJ) and I have it wire tied on the left down tube of my bike, right above the shifter. Most people don't even know it's there 'cause it blends in with the black paint. I only had one minor problem with it when I went to Americade.
In two of the toll plazas on the NY Thruway the lighted sign that usually says "EZPass Paid" said "Call EZPass", and one didn't even light up. I called them on Monday after I got back and they said there was nothing showing on my account to explain the signs message. "Don't worry about" I was told. I've used my NJ EZPass all up and down the eastern seaboard with no problems.

Well..no problems other than my brain fade. We had two bikes on a trailer behind my truck- and forgot to take the transmitters off of them. Yep, got charged for both bikes and the truck at every toll plaza. LOL

Kagan
06-23-2006, 02:18 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I could see myself forgetting too! I wrote down "foil wrapper" on my check list so hopefully I won't be too hungover to remember. :D

arthureld
06-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Well..no problems other than my brain fade. We had two bikes on a trailer behind my truck- and forgot to take the transmitters off of them. Yep, got charged for both bikes and the truck at every toll plaza. LOL

Small price to pay. :)

arthureld
06-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Found a EZpass holder at the dealer today. It sticks on with suction cups. $5.95