PDA

View Full Version : Ape Flex?

HIGHNWIDE
11-11-2004, 04:36 AM
Allright, so I've been running 16" apes on stock risers since the bike was 3 weeks old (almost 15k now). I love the bars and love the fact that i get no vibration in my grips.

Problem: high speed sweepers (80-95mph) I get so much flex that I have to back of the throttle and push the bars forward.

I still have the stock rubber bushings on and there is a LOT of flex in the bars. I plan on upgrading to the poly bushings but I was wondering what else could help in the higher speed corners. The bike ('03 FXDWG) handles great in the tighter, slower corners and straights but I ride it pretty hard and would like a little more stability. Would a fork brace make that much of a difference? How about a steering dampner? I do not want to go with a rigid mounted bar or lose the stock risers as the height and comfort of the bars is perfect. I do understand that there is a price to pay for the apes and I am willing to sacrifice the speed in the sweepers if I have to, just looking for possible options.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanx.

junior
11-11-2004, 05:04 AM
apes look cool, but they also change the leverage on the stock risers. take a look at the risers (pull them off altogether) and make sure one (or both) of them is not cracked somewhere....

j

TexasFatBoy
11-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Also be careful with the stock risers as they have been known to break with apes due to the additional stress on the metal. Most folks recommend swapping out for billet risers when ya go to the apes.

Hate to have you in one of those sweepers and have em end up in your lap! :o

Wide
11-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Great advice above.

With apes always use Quality Billet Risers & Poly bushings.

You dont want flex & you dont want the risers to crack from the extra force put on by the leverage of the apes, could get nasty real fast.

:D

HIGHNWIDE
11-12-2004, 04:12 AM
Thanx guys!! Doh!! didn't even think about billet risers! I have to admit while caught in the traffic at sturgis this year, I brain faded and tried to pull myself up to give my ass a break (not that wise with the apes and fwd controls). Needless to say I got about 2 inches off the seat and then the bars ended up in my lap. I tightened them up, but ever since the play has gotten worse. I have probably cracked them. I will check and replace anyway. Thanx again.

bikerTrash
11-12-2004, 11:16 AM
I'm runnin ape on my fatboy and never thought about replacing or checking my risers either. Thanks for asking HIGHNWIDE.

Thats why I like it here @ HCG, you read the threads long enough you might learn something.

*leaving to check his risers* http://img91.exs.cx/img91/1077/inv.gif

HIGHNWIDE
01-09-2005, 04:07 AM
Just figured to throw in an update. Took her in for 15k svc coupla weeks ago and had him check the risers and replace the bushings/washers. Risers were okay (for now) and the new poly bushings/washers made all the difference in the world! Still a great ride with no vibration and steady as a rock! I still plan on going with the billet risers but I am going to wait till I do the rear shocks, front end, and fork brace.

Thanx again for the info.

Lynx
01-13-2005, 12:45 AM
heres what happened to one of my risers with 16" apes.....found by coincidence by a friend one day while we were changing my rear tire..

:o

Wide
01-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Cool Lynx you found that before the other one snaped.

Thats some real nasty looking casting on that part should have never been put on a bike, great picture ;)

Lynx
01-13-2005, 01:16 AM
i had to replace them with cast again but will get a set of billet before the riding season starts

:P

Tony
01-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Im planning on changing my bars on my Road King to 15" 1ΒΌ Buff Fat Bars which allow for stock controls and risers. My question is do they make billet risers for FLHRs as well as poly bushing?

Glad I read this thread...

wreckerman
01-14-2005, 03:24 PM
dont know off the top of my head on that one , but i think they do have you cheaked jp cycles you can use the link on the main page to get a free book from them takes about a week

Tony
01-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks, I should be getting my new JP catalog...

RKCustom_TX
03-19-2005, 06:06 AM
Tony,
did you find the risers? i know they make poly bushings for TOURING models, about $35.00 - i just put 18" wild1's on my RK today ..going to put the poly bushings on tomorrow... i am using the stock risers with a 1 piece clamp, let me know what risers you find..

Tony
03-19-2005, 10:36 PM
After all my planning, I ended up going with a set of Carlini drag pull backs instead of the apes. As for the risers, Carlini makes products for Road Kings to allow the use of different risers, and sells a handlebar cover kit whick allows for taller risers. Also they sell poly bushings and they sell risers as well, but you can use others as well.

Wide
03-19-2005, 11:02 PM
I cant say enough about changing to billet risers, I just replaced another broken set that had 14" apes

The dude almost crashed, well he did but not bad..

Safety First crapper

rwpatton
03-20-2005, 02:11 AM
As others have stated, DO NOT FUCK AROUND billet or steel is the only way to go. High bars will snap those stock POS eventually and put you " In a world of hurt fast "

fwiw

RW