PDA

View Full Version : Check for syntetic oil

harley50glide
11-11-2004, 06:54 AM
How would you check if your guy used syntetic oil ,how can you tell it from regular oil??? :D

bikerTrash
11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Your oil change bill would be $50 more. :P

I run syntetic in my bike, It looks a little lighter in color to me.

TexasFatBoy
11-11-2004, 04:00 PM
The indy shop I use always lists the oil they use on the service ticket. If it's runnin' about $7-8 or more a quart, it's probably synthetic.

Wide
11-11-2004, 04:17 PM
How would you check if your guy used syntetic oil ,how can you tell it from regular oil??? :D

By the color & smell

All automotive fluids are by design different colors & smells to be able to tell them apart from the others.

They all start out the same then additives are introduced to alter them.

:D

HeadDoc
11-11-2004, 04:19 PM

Hey Harley50...I'm no wrench, but I change my own oil that way I know for sure and I use what I want (amsoil)

The local dealership said bring in your own oil and filter and they'll use it and subtract the price of their oil from the ticket.

I'll probably do that at 10,000 mile check when they need to do the once over for warranty.

TomF
11-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Wide -- not trying to contradict you, but I've had a hard time telling by appearance and smell. I don't think you really can tell short of a full blown analysis. :wacko: