PDA

View Full Version : my first solo ride....

short_sport
06-20-2006, 04:43 AM
Well, what do i say about it?

It started out great! Great weather. Nice, easy speeds, no rushing, very confident, Doing everything i'm supposed to do. I get to my destination, which was the library 20 miles away, stopped, returned the books, walked around a bit, picked up a few more, got back on the bike rode about 3 miles back in the direction of home to make another stop and the bike loses power. It just dies. Now, i'm on my way up a hill! We are in the ozark mountains here. AND i have a car behind me. I keep my head and get it off the road no problems. Ok, I finally get it to start again after it's choked all the way, and then it dies again. HMMMM. Finally, someone stops asking me if i need some help. I just ask to use his cell to call rd. He even gave me a bottle of semi-frozen water since i told him i would wait there for rd. i told him thank you and off he went. RD kinda laughed when i tell him what happens, says he'd come over with the truck, and he'd be there shortly. Well, he gets there, he flips the switch to reserve, DUH!!!!, and off we go to the gas station back the way i had just come. I felt so stupid. On the way back home i had no more problems, my bike's tummy is full, and all is well. Funny this was i did check to see if i had enough gas before i left, i guess i misjudged. That will teach me.

All in all though, it was a good time, and i can laugh about it. And Rd won't let me forget it either :rolleyes: :lol: What are husbands for though.

Shorty
06-20-2006, 06:15 AM
lol short!! Your first ride....couldve been better, couldve been worse! :lol: Im sure glad youre going through this first. I read this and immediately made a mental note to check my reserve if the bike just dies on me one day. :D
But wow..check you out. Just getting on it and cruising. Thats wonderful. Its gotta feel just out of this world eh?
Sure glad it wasnt more than running out of gas and that rd was close by. :)

Mellisa
06-20-2006, 07:47 AM
I hate when things like that happen *hug* good for you getting it off the road and glad it wasn't something bad.
We all make bonehead moves now and then.

firestopper
06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
wife did the same thing when she first started riding :) . Your just going to have to get a HD with fuel injection. No reserve, but fuel gauge and idiot light :) . Best way is to find your mpg and use the odometer or trip milage indicater if you have one as a back up

arthureld
06-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Learn somethin new everyday. Keep pushin on.
It's great that yer doin it. :)

Sandman
06-20-2006, 11:09 AM
:lol:

MLC
06-20-2006, 11:29 AM
at least your first ride was a safe one. congrats on the first ride.

Hugger_Lady
06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Short~
We learn the best lessons from our own mistakes.
I am just glad that you got to get out there on your own and when ya had the troubles start ya kept your head!

God knows if it was me, I wouldn't have thought about the the reserve.LOL

OldBikerGuy
06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Great job, ss. I can't imagine what that was like, riding alone for the first time. When I did it I was 15-YO -- all balls and no brains, so it didn't mean much at the time. I would've driven a tank through a minefield if one had been available. You girls should know that EFI-equipped bikes don't have reserve tanks or petcocks. If you're out, you're out! I prefer it because then you don't have to remember to turn the damn petcock on and off all the time. Your ride went, and ended, well, and now hubby has a funny story to tell for years! ^_^

Sandman
06-20-2006, 09:18 PM
hey ss, just remember 1 thing: after u refuel, turn the lever back to 'main'. if u dont, the next time u run dry, u WILL be dry....and pushin it to a pit stop. :lol: :lol:

Calli
06-21-2006, 01:43 AM
*hugz* SS... Glad the ride went well... & so you now know what it feels like to run out of gas! lol.. Really glad you were able to get off the road ok; esp on a hill with traffic!!

I bet RD has some stories of his own he would rather forget too..lol

short_sport
06-21-2006, 05:40 AM
I bet RD has some stories of his own he would rather forget too..lol

oh yeah he does. like all the parts of the bikes he's ridden while riding with people in texas??? judt ask tfb or fatboy05. lol :lol:

just remember 1 thing: after u refuel, turn the lever back to 'main'.

That was the first thing rd did while i was fueling the bike. So i will be good.

katmandhu
06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
My tank holds 3.3 galons (peanut) & some good advice to me was to set my tripometer every time I fueled up. That way I shouldn't have to hit reserve - just get gas at 100 miles.

But you wanna hear a stupid story too? I put gas in my bike for the first time & didn't let the nozzle drain. Thank God, I hadn't gone far, because the remants drizzled all over my bike & had it have been hot, I could have lost it all!

firestopper
06-21-2006, 09:55 AM
great point Sandman B)

Sandman
06-21-2006, 11:18 AM
i've noticed i get better mileage putting premium in it vs the +. i'll go 130 miles easy on the premium and still have a good 1/2 gallon or a bit better before it gets close to reserve. alot of stop n go's and short hops (under 20 miles) does drink it quicker, but i'll still get about 115-120 miles before mains are dry. having a windshield on it also increases mileage. ur body isnt acting like a parachute in the windblast, u'll be a smaller target to kicked up rocks or sand from cagers, and u wont be covered in bugs either.
short hops i'll take the shield off, long hops, it goes on. that windblast wears u down after about 70-100 miles depending on how bad the cross/headwinds are.