PDA

View Full Version : '79 Shovel----clutch adj rod spun into hub.....

ikevin88
07-05-2006, 03:29 AM
Gotta lil prob here.....
The locknut for my adjusting rod came off and the centrifugal force spun the rod in and I can't get it to back out. I've tried an impact driver, but no luck.
Bike's a '79 80" FX w/belt drive 4/spd.....
Looking for suggestions folks.....
Any ideas are welcome...

SoCal

88FLHTC
07-05-2006, 03:33 AM
:unsure: I'm havin trouble following this...

Couldn't you take the pressure plate off the studs? Sounds like you might have troubles at the other end with the throw-out brg..

Or am I reading this wrong ? :wacko:

ikevin88
07-05-2006, 03:53 AM
That's my next step.....I need to check the steels anyway.
I just got this scooter a couple of weeks ago, so I'm still learning what I have. I know that the whole basket has only around 2K on it, but the "chatterless" steels were replaced {on the side of the road} w/stock ones when one of the bearings came out of a plate.
Throwout is what I was thinking, but I wanted to pick some brains before I start pulling s**t apart, ya know?
Guess I'll go ahead and pull/inspect the plates and go from there.....

Ratbike
07-05-2006, 04:37 AM
If I am following you right the stud that adjusts the rod is stuck?

ikevin88
07-05-2006, 04:55 AM
Right. The adjusting rod/screw that's in the center of the hub. The slotted screw that's locked in w/a locknut. The actual screw that you turn to adjust the clutch with.
When the locknut came off, the spinning clutch screwed that puppy in tighter than my ex's jaws....

Bigshovel
07-05-2006, 02:31 PM
You should be able to remove the spring retainer nuts, plate and spring then slide it off. If the adjuster screw is seized in the release disc and you can't get it out, a new one is only about $25 bucks. Either way I would pull it before the throwout bearing gets damaged while trying to get the screw out.

wreckerman
07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
just a bit of a suggejestion here you might want to remove the kicker cover there is a splasher on that side that the adj rod goes into i have seen this rod push all the way through the splasher

ikevin88
07-26-2006, 01:49 AM
Got it done!
Also had my age old feelings of "screw factory Harley Dealers..." reaffirmed.
I went to Frazier's H-D in Buford, Ga and ordered the locknut for my clutch adj screw on 15July.....as of this posting, it still wasn't in.
I also need a new kicker shaft.....wonderful folks @ Frazier's told me it was obsolete, etc........
Went down the road about 5 miles to Southern Cycle and John had everything I needed....and a hell of a lot cheaper!!!
Point being.....give your business to the shop that's here for us as brothers of the wind.....not to the misguided legacy that should have been that once stood for a lifestyle and now stands for profit...aka:your local factory dealer.

I shall now step down off my soapbox.....and open another Icehouse! drunks

My whole clutch shaft system took a dump. From throwout to adj screw. Replaced all and now it's all good.
I think the hardest and longest part of the whole thing {besides getting parts.....} was gasket scraping...lol. Took all of an hour and a half.....over all...
God I love my shovels!!!!!

skeezix
07-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Glad you got it figgered out bro, and yes some HD shops are yuppie clothing emporiums. In fact I was at a HD dealership lately that had what seemed to be a gay man running the parts depot..... times have changed I soppose.

Shovels are fun .. and forgiving :D

Skeez

skeezix
07-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Glad you got it figgered out bro, and yes some HD shops are yuppie clothing emporiums. In fact I was at a HD dealership lately that had what seemed to be a gay man running the parts depot..... times have changed I soppose.

Shovels are fun .. and forgiving :D

Skeez