PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Dip stick

Fishheads
11-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi guys I replaced the stock chrome tranny dipstick with the screw on type that you can buy, the stick is duller & easy to read, But there are only 2 marks on the stick they dont tell you where is the full mark at. I have 3 diffrent ways how to read it. Pisses me off Harley did not put Full are low on the freaking thing. Its going on a 04 RK also.

Wide
11-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Always go with the low side reading, it prevents leaks ;)

Sounds strange but it's true, Harley uses a dry sump system unlike a car. :D

rwpatton
11-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Wides right for the engine oil.

On the tranny keep the oil in between the marks (middle) and you'll be fine.

RW

Fishheads
11-26-2004, 09:17 PM
To add to what you said after Its real dam hard to read the stick cant fig out why Harley did not make one that goes strait down & up. Now on the factory stick it has a area thats says Full. But the new one I bought from Harley it just has two Marks on it. So keep the oil inbetween the two marks sounds Fucking Cazy, is the done hot are cold. Thanks again :huh:

wreckerman
11-26-2004, 10:57 PM
fishheads you are right about the dip stick problem, i would recommend that you take the stick out and put a few hash marks on it so you can see the flied leveal i am thinking you have the dark color one , and when the tranny is full make a mark on were the leveal sits on the stick with a saw blade and you will be able to tell what level you are at when checking the level

rwpatton
11-27-2004, 11:44 PM
Maybe I am crazy. :P Wreckers got it. If you are going to have an anal obsession about the exact amount of lube in your tranny. Drain it,refill with specified amount in your manual and mark the stick with your own mark. AAAAH, peace of mind. :P

Stick can not go straight up and down because it will interfere with the clutch cable and clutch relase mechanism inside. :rolleyes:

Happy fluid marking. :)

RW

tradrockrat
11-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Maybe I am crazy. :P Wreckers got it. If you are going to have an anal obsession about the exact amount of lube in your tranny. Drain it,refill with specified amount in your manual and mark the stick with your own mark. AAAAH, peace of mind. :P

Stick can not go straight up and down because it will interfere with the clutch cable and clutch relase mechanism inside. :rolleyes:

Happy fluid marking. :)

RW

ROTFLMAO

rwpatton
11-28-2004, 12:06 AM
really,really, not trying to be a "smart ass". Sorry, It is a legitamate concern. :rolleyes:

RW

tradrockrat
11-28-2004, 12:11 AM
It was just really funny to me for some reason.

curley725
11-28-2004, 01:38 AM
now we have that figured out we have to make a majior decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are we to mark it on the kick stand or standing straight up??????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

curley B)

Ironhead80
11-28-2004, 02:14 AM
Sounds too complicated, just guess on the fluid and leave the dipstick out of the pictures, cover hole with duct tape.

wreckerman
11-28-2004, 12:26 PM
always cheak flieds leveals on the kick stand,

Fishheads
11-28-2004, 10:16 PM
I beleave if your going to do somethin, do it Fucking right that what this is all about if it bothers you to reply with may some good advise then dont, but I normaly get a good response from Wreckman but the next I time I want to hear somethin smart Ass well then dont reply I will just Fart same thing as your advise need I say more no............... dafinger Thanks Wreck

Fishheads
11-28-2004, 10:32 PM
caged Oh not tring to Smart Ass siting here just Farted AWayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy dafinger

Ironhead80
11-28-2004, 10:36 PM
caged Oh not tring to Smart Ass siting here just Farted AWayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy dafinger

May want to revise that into something that makes sense...

Fishheads
11-29-2004, 12:15 AM
If I need advise on what I should do I will post one but as for now............I dont like Smart Ass

Wide
11-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Post closed. going off topic