PDA

View Full Version : Primary Rattle?

sht4brains
08-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Hey all
Ive commented on a few topics but never had a question till now. So im hoping someone can give me some info on this. I tried posting on the same subject but i didnt see it so i may have done something wrong if this gets repeated sorry. Any way here goes. Ive got a 80 superglide with a stroked shovel motor about a week ago it started making a noise from the primary side i think? first i thought it was coming from the cam side but as it got worse or as i paid closer atention i could hear it was coming from the primary side. About 2 years ago i installed a Jims 5 speed and a pro clutch. ive cked the chain tension several times it seems to be good acording to the specs in the manual. I took the cover off and i dont see anything unusual.(scrapes.shavings). The chain seemed ok when i changed all this out.
im running a enclosed primary w/ type f tranny fluid in it. with enough oil to sling when its running. This is the first noise ive heard at all since the motor was rebuilt about 4 years ago. it still runs great just dont want it to leave me stranded 12 miles this side of B.F. It sounds more like it maybe coming from the front and traveling back? compensator? stator? any input would be helpful
Thanks
Sht

wreckerman
08-22-2006, 09:59 PM
without hearing it , it is hard to say com sproket would be my guess though from what you have said here and i supose if a magnet had sliped on the stator that would make racket but i would think by cheaking your charging system for out put that you could tell from that

sht4brains
08-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks Wreck
Gonna tear it down this weekend and see whats up. But will ck the stator output tomm. Working 7 days so its hard to just fly in on it. Thanks for the input. It gives me a starting point. I hope its as simple as a rotor magnet. But my luck usually dont run that way. Will let ya know what i find and will try to post pics if i can. Thanks again
Sht

Wide
08-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Wrecker has you on the right track

Let us know what you find

sht4brains
08-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey all
Well at the least the stator's goin south on me i'm getting like 46 volts @ 2800 rpm. My trusty,worn service manual says at least 60 volts at that speed .(ever notice how an old service manual yours or a buddy's the primary and trannsmission pages are kinda greasy?) So i guess ill see if any things wrong in there when i tear it all down. Hope its a magnet or something like that. Hell im at $170 and i hav'nt even gutted her yet. Figured i go with the 32 amp if i was gonna replace it. USA Twins was a lot cheaper than anyone else. I dont get chrome stuff from them anymore though. Ive got 3 days off next week will probably tear it all down then. Will let you all know what i find. Later all
Sht

Wide
08-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Cool, your on the right track

Will be pretty obovious when you get her apart

Good luck & keep us posted :D

rwpatton
08-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Hey y'all. I'm thinking compensator cup shoulders are worn out. This allows the spring housing to rattle and spin.

RW :)

skeezix
09-23-2006, 02:30 AM
My bike had that exact thing happen last summer RW, sounded like the bottom end for sure, had me scared. After all, the bottom of a shov lasts forever :D. It was a cheap fix in the end.

Check the compensator for sure.

Skeez